PDA

View Full Version : tips on buying a car in long distance

Golden Armz
05-31-2008, 08:39 PM
ive found this nice 98 silver M3 coupe with 72k. theyre asking 14k. carfax came out clean.
the car is about 5hrs away from my house

for those of you who bought cars that were long distance. how did you go about doing it?
did anyone have their cars shipped? or delivered?

would it be easier if i just drove up there?

thanks

Bruce
05-31-2008, 09:40 PM
Make sure to have a PPI done?

5 hours away is NOT long distance. Go there and drive it back.

fun2drive
06-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Good Car Fax means nothing. I have had experiences with clean Car Fax reports and the vehicle was in a wreck and those that had a bad Car Fax report that didn't even have bumper crush tubes damaged so the point is don't use that as a good or bad sign.

I agree with the previous poster, 5 hours is not long distance and I would go see it and crawl under it and see if you can get a BMW tech to check it over.

After having been burned on the so called clean Car Fax I will never buy site unseen unless I personally know the person.

kyfdx
06-04-2008, 06:56 AM
Ditto... Make an appointment for Noon on a Saturday to go look at it... You'll be home in time for dinner..

If you are pretty sure this might be the car for you, get a local (to them) BMW mechanic to inspect it before you go.. That way, you'll be armed with all the information to strike a deal when you go to look at it.

dE.fUsEd
06-05-2008, 09:05 PM
I live in Arizona and bought mine from Chicago. I had a friend online that lives in Chicago go and look over the car. He does body work so he gave it a good inspection.

Once I decided to purchase it, the dealership provided shipping on a covered car carrier.
It was about $800 to have it delivered.

Golden Armz
06-06-2008, 10:17 PM
thanks guys. well the carfax has the guarantee if the accident wasnt reported they will buy back your car.... 5 hrs IS long distance for me. but i cant really find a low mileage M3 around my area. i want low mileage since i want to keep this car for a long time...

still shopping around.. the estoril blue is looking real nice...

Bruce
06-07-2008, 05:13 AM
carfax is a joke

e30e
06-09-2008, 12:59 PM
thanks guys. well the carfax has the guarantee if the accident wasnt reported they will buy back your car.... 5 hrs IS long distance for me. but i cant really find a low mileage M3 around my area. i want low mileage since i want to keep this car for a long time...

still shopping around.. the estoril blue is looking real nice...

How is 5 hours a long distance when you want a car for a long time? You'll end up spending more than 5 hours in half a year just cleaning the car. If you want the car, stop being lazy :thumbup:

A Rios
06-27-2008, 07:50 PM
I drove six hours to buy my estoril blue 98 M3 and it was well worth it. What are we talking about? 300 miles? Even if they drop you off using a 10 mpg gas guzzler @ $5 per gallon you will have spent $300 round trip as opposed to the $800 or more you'll pay to have it shipped. Isn't 10 hours of your time worth $500 or are you accustomed to earning $50 per hour? If so, is your employer hiring?

blubyu21117
07-08-2008, 11:27 AM
if there is any way you can see the car before, please do !!!
i maade the mistake of not looking over my car, and i'm paying the price now.
i live in north carolina and the car was in new jersey. purchased the car sight unseen from a dealer there.
clean carfax, and pre inspection done. i received the car with 3 different sized tires, cracked radiator, stuck thermostat, auxiliary fan didn't work, and various other problems. i've spent about 2500 dollars so far getting thing back together. LESSON LEARNED!!!

steg99
07-08-2008, 07:02 PM
The guys are right. Carfax is garbage. I wrecked my 2004 M3 against a curb, bent the frame, broke the front wheel of the axle, and ended up with 15k in damages. I sold the car with full disclosure but a clean Carfax weeks later.

As far as the long distance, I def. recommend a BMW pre-purchase inspection. They'll do it for 100-150 bucks, and even measure the thickness of paint to check for accidents. I think you'll find the shipping quotes below are low, however. I just shipped an E36 from Santa Monica to N.C. for $2200 with FedEx Custom Critical. Other quotes from DAS, etc ranged from $1500-2000.