PDA

View Full Version : 1000 Miles!


suzer
05-15-2003, 06:24 AM
Hit exactly 1000 miles as I pulled into work this morning, and boy I must say I love my X5.

Finally came up with a name for him, too - Mr. Silverfish.

I'm not much of a driver, so a review from me isn't worth much, but I just really enjoy driving around town (mostly mundane work and back, grocery store and back and the occasional dog run to the park) - the X5 is much zippier than my old 4-runner, although it still feels "heavy" and "safe." A couple of other SUVs that I test drove felt weirdly light, which left me with the impression that I was going to fly off the road at any time.

Two tanks of gas have brought me 17.4 miles per gallon, which is better than I had hoped. I'm almost due for a third, and the mileage looks even better on this one (more highway driving the past two weeks).

I'm hoping I'll soon stop driving like it's made of glass, and will eventually be able to park in it a parking lot without worrying about it all day!

Emission
05-16-2003, 09:24 AM
That is pretty good gas mileage. My wife is averaging only about 14.7 mpg in all city driving.

You'll find your mileage will increase as the engine gets more broken-in, and the power will increase too. Most BMW engines run best with 10,000 miles on them.

We're taking our X5 on a roadtrip from LA to Phoenix/Tucson next weekend. The seven hour drive should be fun (I am trying to do it on one tank of gas - about 420 miles). On the same drive, the 4Runner averaged about 22 mpg, and the Passat 29 mpg. It will be nice doing it in the BMW!

suzer
05-16-2003, 09:29 AM
For me, one of the many unexpected side benefits of the X5 over the 4Runner is the gas tank size. We've moved cross country a couple of times, and living with the 250 mile range of the Runner's gas tank wasn't much fun.

The sticker shock of putting that much gas in at one time isn't super, but then since you are in California, I bet it's much, much worse for you!

intex98
05-16-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Emission
We're taking our X5 on a roadtrip from LA to Phoenix/Tucson next weekend. The seven hour drive should be fun (I am trying to do it on one tank of gas - about 420 miles). On the same drive, the 4Runner averaged about 22 mpg, and the Passat 29 mpg. It will be nice doing it in the BMW!

Graduation? I'm making the same trip for my cousin's graduation next weekend as well.

Emission
05-16-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by intex98
Graduation? I'm making the same trip for my cousin's graduation next weekend as well.

No, my little sister doesn't graduate until next Spring. This is just a trip to say hello and fix a few things on her car.

intex98
05-16-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Emission
No, my little sister doesn't graduate until next Spring. This is just a trip to say hello and fix a few things on her car.

Ah, well... maybe I'll see you on the 10 in the desert some where.

Emission
05-16-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by suzer
We've moved cross country a couple of times, and living with the 250 mile range of the Runner's gas tank wasn't much fun.


Yes, the 4Runner never hit 300 miles on a tank - it sucked!

The shock of putting 23 gallons of Premium @ $1.39 gallon (war prices) really woke me up. We broke $50 a tank many times last month!

I am betting on 20-21 mpg at a steady 75-80 mph across the desert. That should yield 400 miles on a tank pretty easily.