PDA

View Full Version : squeaky belts??

sergem3
06-16-2008, 05:47 PM
ok so i have a 98 m3 sedan with 122k on it and i guess the belts make a squeaking sound when car is idling. when i give a little gas in neutral it makes a little whine noise like a supercharger lol. but i dont have a supercharger. i sprayed WD-40 on the belts and it immediatly stopped. the problem is is that the WD-40 wears off like in 5 minutes and its back to squeaking. this is really annoying so i would like to know how to fix this. i want to know what the most likely cause of the squeaking belts is and how i can fix this without replacing the belts.

thanks

Bruce
06-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Doubt you will be able to fix it without replacing something. I'd check and make sure the idler pulley is functioning properly. They have been known to sieze and snap the belt which will cause the car to overheat if you don't notice the alternator light came on. Water pump could be going as well. Best is to check it and replace bad parts....don't be cheap.

4liter
06-19-2008, 05:30 AM
Doubt you will be able to fix it without replacing something. I'd check and make sure the idler pulley is functioning properly. They have been known to sieze and snap the belt which will cause the car to overheat if you don't notice the alternator light came on. Water pump could be going as well. Best is to check it and replace bad parts....don't be cheap.

I agree, you may want to check the pulleys. A replacement sounds like what is needed. Good luck!:thumbup:

toddstaples
06-26-2008, 01:58 PM
one question is this...

on the idler pulley (i'm talking about the one on the AC belt here) how much tension do you want to put on the belt? as much as possible or is there a rule of thumb there?

sillycar
07-17-2009, 09:06 AM
you can read a number of similar posts to this, it might be something else entirely, the idler pully tensioner / belt is like $20a nd then labour
not sure how much tension though