PDA

View Full Version : Why do you have to put your foot on the brake

Elephantman
06-17-2008, 10:11 AM
to start the automatic trans car? It seems like an eternity to start the car:cry: till the steering wheel is in place and to make sure I have enough pressure on the brake.

jsimon7777
06-17-2008, 10:25 AM
For safety. The handbrake may be off. The car may somehow be in gear. Twas one of the first things we learned in auto shop, to never start a car without your foot on the brake.

Billd104
06-17-2008, 10:29 AM
For safety. The handbrake may be off. The car may somehow be in gear. Twas one of the first things we learned in auto shop, to never start a car without your foot on the brake.

+1

phantombmw
06-17-2008, 10:39 AM
That's why you need a manual

FitzLA
06-17-2008, 10:42 AM
And if you think you need to hold the start button down until the car starts, you are wrong. Just a quick tap of the start button starts the car. No need to ever hold it down. Drives me nuts when I see people pressing and holding it.

Kamdog
06-17-2008, 10:54 AM
That's why you need a manual

Where you must step on the clutch, instead of the brake.

jsimon7777
06-17-2008, 11:10 AM

Zing! :rofl:

stream
06-17-2008, 11:15 AM
It all goes back to the '70's when 60 Minutes did the piece on how Audis were mysteriously lunging forward while in park, and going through the front wall of people's garages. It was the kiss of death for Audi in the US.

That's why on all auto trans cars, you can't shift out of park without the brake pedal being depressed. And BMW took it a step further with starting the car.

Many cars with manual transmissions (Porsche included) can't be started without the clutch pedal being depressed for the same reason.

ProRail
06-17-2008, 11:17 AM
to start the automatic trans car? It seems like an eternity to start the car:cry: till the steering wheel is in place and to make sure I have enough pressure on the brake.

Mainly so your toddler or your dog can't start the car.

FitzLA
06-17-2008, 11:22 AM
It all goes back to the '70's when 60 Minutes did the piece on how Audis were mysteriously lunging forward while in park, and going through the front wall of people's garages. It was the kiss of death for Audi in the US.

That's why on all auto trans cars, you can't shift out of park without the brake pedal being depressed. And BMW took it a step further with starting the car.

Many cars with manual transmissions (Porsche included) can't be started without the clutch pedal being depressed for the same reason.

Lets not forget that there isn't a car out there with a start button that you DON'T have to put your foot on the brake to start. More so that what you are talking about, if you push the start button without your foot on the brake, that is how you turn ACC power on.

Foot off brake = acc power
Foot on brake = engine power

LIL RAJA
06-17-2008, 12:06 PM

a car will not start if it's in a gear to begin with, so the theory really doesn't make sense to me. If it's computerized all it has to do is a write a "if" in Park "then" no pressing down the brake is needed "else" push brake to start. SIMPLE.

LIL RAJA
06-17-2008, 12:09 PM

it was not the 70s. it was more like mid 80s and later found out that the pregnant lady instead of pushing on the brake pushed the gas. yes, it really killed Audi in USA. Thanks to 60 minutes.

stream
06-17-2008, 12:34 PM
it was not the 70s. it was more like mid 80s

OK...I'll take your word for it. Good thing you clarified that... ;)

phantombmw
06-17-2008, 01:21 PM

He didn't say anything about a clutch ;) My advice to the OP would be to worry about bigger fish :thumbup:

FitzLA
06-17-2008, 01:28 PM
a car will not start if it's in a gear to begin with, so the theory really doesn't make sense to me. If it's computerized all it has to do is a write a "if" in Park "then" no pressing down the brake is needed "else" push brake to start. SIMPLE.

Does anyone listen?

press the start button with foot on the brake = engine power
press the button with foot OFF the brake = acc power.

If you don't put your foot on the brake, you get acc power. Since there is no key to turn to acc power, this is how they do it without turning the car on. That is the reason you need a foot on the brake, so you can have two modes without a standard key.

tlm999
06-17-2008, 01:41 PM

What does the steering wheel have to do with starting the car?

HPLouis
06-17-2008, 01:57 PM

Maybe he's talking about the steering wheel lock?

iversonm
06-17-2008, 02:00 PM
Does anyone listen?

No. Logical, reasoned arguments take all of the fun out of the internet.

FitzLA
06-17-2008, 02:36 PM
No. Logical, reasoned arguments take all of the fun out of the internet.

I guess so. lol.

stream
06-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Does anyone listen?

press the start button with foot on the brake = engine power
press the button with foot OFF the brake = acc power.

If you don't put your foot on the brake, you get acc power. Since there is no key to turn to acc power, this is how they do it without turning the car on. That is the reason you need a foot on the brake, so you can have two modes without a standard key.

Well...look who's calling the kettle black... :yikes:

The OP has a 2005 545i. Standard key. No start button! ;)

FitzLA
06-17-2008, 02:47 PM
Well...look who's calling the kettle black... :yikes:

The OP has a 2005 545i. Standard key. No start button! ;)

Ooops

kent9272
06-17-2008, 05:23 PM
I work for Audi, I hate it when clients bring that story up. I have to remind them it was an erroneous story by 60 Minutes and it did major damage to our reputation.

jsimon7777
06-17-2008, 11:52 PM
The Audi supposed unintentional acceleration was supposedly just old ladies mashing the pedals and missing. Sorry to the old ladies in the audience. It has nothing to do with pressing the brake before starting and has everything to do with accidentally starting a car in gear and slamming into something or someone.

Elephantman
06-18-2008, 03:12 AM

My steering wheel moves out of the way when I shut off the car, a nice feature, but it seems like the car will not restart until it is back in place when I turn the ignition. Again idiot proofing that isn't needed as far as I can tell.

No12
06-18-2008, 09:27 AM

I really don't understand the problem here?? The whole process of the steering wheel moving back down and having your foot on the brake takes about a micro-second; that's a problem? As others have said, it's a safety feature, plus with Comfort Access, differentiates between starting the engine (foot on brake) and turning on the ACC (foot off the brake).

:dunno::dunno:

Bigbadbull
06-18-2008, 09:34 AM

It was the 80 on the Audi 5000's, it was found not to be Audi's fault, but artard's that would have there foot on the gas when changing gears. Since about 1986-1987 most if not all Euro auto transmissions have what is called an inter lock, that won't let you shift out of "P" with out your foot on the break.

I had a w124 benz ( 260e ) without it and it was pritty fun. The new thing is the Clutch being depressed on Manual trans missions when starting, I hate it on my VW R32.... Never had it on my cars till recently.

Elephantman
06-18-2008, 09:54 AM
I really don't understand the problem here?? The whole process of the steering wheel moving back down and having your foot on the brake takes about a micro-second; that's a problem? As others have said, it's a safety feature, plus with Comfort Access, differentiates between starting the engine (foot on brake) and turning on the ACC (foot off the brake).

:dunno::dunno:

What saftety feature? Where are you going when the car is in park?

No12
06-18-2008, 10:02 AM

This is your thread - read back to the posts above where this was discussed, many times. :rolleyes:

Solanno1
06-18-2008, 10:19 AM
This is your thread - read back to the posts above where this was discussed, many times. :rolleyes:

:thumbup:

ProRail
06-18-2008, 10:25 AM

In addition to the other reasons noted, there IS a safety issue here. There have been many cases over the years of cars moving, with tragic results, because pets or children have managed to move something, with the result that modern cars and work vehicles often require 2 separate actions, either simultaneous or in sequence, for the vehicle to go from rest to movement.

rich8566
06-20-2008, 07:02 PM

Try pushing the start button then pressing the clutch pedal. Its wierd how my 335i starts!

Elephantman
06-23-2008, 06:54 PM
If what some of you are saying it's because of Audi sudden acceleration, wonder why my wife's Audi A6 does not require your foot on the brake to start?

steveo90290
06-24-2008, 05:09 PM
If what some of you are saying it's because of Audi sudden acceleration, wonder why my wife's Audi A6 does not require your foot on the brake to start?

I bet money that she has to put her foot on the brake to shift into drive

SAFETY INTERLOCK

Elephantman
06-25-2008, 04:12 AM
I bet money that she has to put her foot on the brake to shift into drive

SAFETY INTERLOCK

Shifting into drive, that makes sense and I think every modern car has that safety feature, but it doesn't make sense to have to put your foot on the brake to start a car that is in park or neutral.

No12
06-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Shifting into drive, that makes sense and I think every modern car has that safety feature, but it doesn't make sense to have to put your foot on the brake to start a car that is in park or neutral.

:rolleyes: With the "start/stop" button on BMWs, if you don't put your foot on the brake, you turn on the ACC only. Foot on brake means you want to actually start the engine.

Don't see why this is such a problem??

Elephantman
06-26-2008, 10:30 AM
:rolleyes: With the "start/stop" button on BMWs, if you don't put your foot on the brake, you turn on the ACC only. Foot on brake means you want to actually start the engine.

Don't see why this is such a problem??

Because I don't have that feature. I have the old fashion key.

z06bigbird
09-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Talk to the familes of people who have been run over while standing or playing in front/rear of car. They can explain it better than anyone else.

z06bigbird
09-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Many moons ago, several manufacturers had poor quality neutral safety switches resulting in a variety of serious injuries and death. Feds got involved and forced manufacts to require the use of park and the placement of foot on brake pedal. In spite of hi tech improvements, this federal mandate (use of foot on brake pedal) is still in effect.

Similarly, did you ever wonder why no one has invented a different master brake cylinder? All have dual cylinders. Again, federal mandate. Even though inventors can improve on the master cylinder, they must have dual cylinders.

Kevin530
09-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Like it or not, Audi is symbolic of the gas pedal/brake problem, even though I think that it probably was the result of a couple of idiots hitting the wrong pedal. Just another example of political correctness and hyperactive government gone crazy. As an example, I heard a public service announcement today on the radio that it is ILLEGAL to have a child under 4'9" in a car without a booster seat. Are you kidding me? Many adults clock in at that height or not much more, what happens to them? The rules are truly out of control and the pols need to be stopped.