PDA

View Full Version : S/C Cooling Advice

CAMDINANS3
06-27-2008, 10:33 AM
hi guys, im new to the forum but i have been reading for quite some time. i have a 1995 M3 Dinan S3. Which includes vortech s/c, dinan stage 3 suspension, dinan software, dinan exhaust, euro floating front rotors, equal length ceramic headers, dinan high flow throttle body, 3.38 LSD, stainless steel brake lines, reinforced rear shock mounts. UUC short shift kit.

I have been looking around for an aftercooler/intercooler and all i can find is the aftercooler from RMS and its insanely expensive for what a water/air aftercooler should be. i was planning on bumping the boost from the stock 6psi to around 8-9 with a 6inch crank pulley and a 3.33 s/c pulley but i dont want to do that before i get the intake temps down. In addition to that i have been looking around for an oil cooler, and i saw that post earlier about VAC motorsports but that kit is like $600. Can you use a differential/transmission cooler with an aux fan instead?

id say my set up right now has got 350hp at the crank and im going for 400hp so i'll get something around ~350 to the wheels. i think increasing the boost 3-4psi, and the necessary cooling from the aftercooler/intercooler should do the trick. i also saw that active autowerks ships their s/c system with an intercooler and oil cooler, im pretty sure that would fit and if so can you order it separately? i appreciate any info you guys can give me

A Rios
06-27-2008, 11:50 AM
If you're looking for an intercooler, Active's Twin Screw S/C intercooler is integrated into the intake manifold. They can't sell it separately without also selling you the blower. If your looking for an oil cooler VAC is about the cheapest your going to find. RMS has the best aftercooler for a non TS hands down. Yes, it's pricey, but you get what you pay for. It sits as close to the intake as you can get without being inside of it like the TS systems offered by Active and Eurosport. Water cooled is the way to go. Air to air doesn't cool nearly as well. Also the farther away the aftercooler sits from the intake, the hotter the air gets as it travels thru the plumbing to get to the intake.

fun2drive
06-30-2008, 04:11 PM
I have seen some air to air intercoolers that plumb things in the front but there is little room for anything else.
I installed a modified RMS aftercooler because I ran a Powerdyne SC. I think that the RMS was pretty good as I did measure a 100 F drop from intake to output which helped me recover a lot of lost hp in the Florida summers.

Downside was that you need to flush your steering resevoir because once the aftercooler is in place you will not have access to it.

Yes this was expensive but it does work and I installed it myself without a lot of trouble.
Just a data point...

CAMDINANS3
07-01-2008, 09:46 AM
hhmm it probably seems like the best thing to do. my dad just has A LOT of reservations about the water/meth injection. and im trying to convince him that its not that bad. but i have the vortech s/c, so im also installing an oil cooler in addition to some type of air cooler, RMS seems like the best option. although tunermotorsports has the pulley set up that i want with a water/meth injection package deal for $1500.....

fun2drive
07-01-2008, 05:59 PM
FWIW my oil temp never got higher then 210F running synthetic oil.
Are you sure you need an oil cooler?

CAMDINANS3
07-02-2008, 10:21 AM
well mine doesnt either, i guess i just thought it was a good preventative kind of easy thing to do. I do run synthetic oil. but i suppose that in terms of engine life, the cooler it is the better. Plus why would the eurospec E36 M3 have an oil cooler if it wasnt a good idea

Bruce
07-02-2008, 10:32 AM
well mine doesnt either, i guess i just thought it was a good preventative kind of easy thing to do. I do run synthetic oil. but i suppose that in terms of engine life, the cooler it is the better. Plus why would the eurospec E36 M3 have an oil cooler if it wasnt a good idea

Cooler doesn't always = better.

CAMDINANS3
07-02-2008, 11:36 AM
well still...that begs the question. why would BMW put an oil cooler on the stock eurospec M3 if it wasnt a good idea, and it would appear as if adding Forced induction here, especially a vortech s/c that runs off and cools itself with engine oil would warrant such a cooling option. It is possible that a stock m3 wouldnt need an oil cooler but an extraneous s/c that can increase air temps by 100 degrees F, would add a significant amount of latent heat to the oil. Heat=more stress=less engine life.

Bruce
07-02-2008, 12:20 PM
You can't compare the Euro motor to the US motor...2 completely different engines.

What oil temps are you running? If they are in the acceptable range, putting an oil cooler on them won't help anything but make a hole in your wallet.

CAMDINANS3
07-02-2008, 01:28 PM
true.....id say my temps are around 190-200 degrees F. well within normal. hhmmm i guess from other forums it appeared to me one of those upgrades you just did, such as the fan delete.

Bruce
07-02-2008, 01:36 PM
I personally wouldn't go much cooler than that for oil temps. Hell, my car sees 250 on the track and I am not that concerned at those temps.

CAMDINANS3
07-03-2008, 08:11 AM
haha well if you say so, i definetly appreciate the advice, you obviously know better than i would. Now...the million dollar question. Im running ~6psi on my DINAN vortech unit and im interested in the RMS kit with a 6inch crank pulley and a 3.33 s/c pulley that should bump the boost to 9-10psi. in addition to that i will get either the stage 1 or 2 aftercooler kit from RMS as well.....now with those pressures etc do i need to invest in more software in addition to the software that comes with the S3 package from DINAN or should i spring for the standalone engine management stuff to be safe.

rrsperry
07-12-2008, 09:48 AM
If you bump the boost and add an aftercooler, you will need larger injectors, a 3.5" HFM (to fit the after cooler), aux water pump for the aftercooler, and the heat exchanger, AND new tuning. PaulE on Bimmerforums got that setup tuned by NickG in Florida, (Technique Tuning). and it works very well.

If you are getting 250F oil temps, I would start to be concerned. Not a lot, but enough to think about an oil cooler.

CAMDINANS3
07-14-2008, 10:18 AM
the kit from RMS came with all of that (aftercooler, heat exchanger, ECU, HFM, injectors, pump) but i have since then decided after much researching and conversations that osh from RMS is nothing less than a ********* so, a guy on bimmerforums who sells AA parts is going to source me all the necessary parts and im going to do Water/meth injection while i custom fab up a front mount intercooler setup.

rrsperry
07-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Good luck with that... There is no room to run charge pipes to the front of the radiator for an intercooler, with out going below the level of the subframe. For a Vortech sc, the RMS aftercooler is the best option. The RMS tuning is about worthless. Get the tuning from Nick G.

Marco really is a good guy and can be a lot of help.

PAulE is running about 12 psi of boost, with the RMS aftercooler and water injection. He has about 360rwhp???