BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Trans Not Shifting

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  jimoreno 
#1 ·
1987 535 Is I Have Had This Car For Apx. 6weeks. Was Shifting Normaly. On The Way To Work To Day Found That It Would Not Come Out Of 3. I Think. Ck Trans Light Is On In The Ip. Fluid Is Good, Took The Battery - Post Off For
Apx 5 Min. Hoping It Did Not Have Kim. Did Not Clear. Last Weak Removed The Ip To Replace The Bulbs And The Long Wht. Connecter May Have Fell Off Or
Was Not Put Back On. No Shift P Rnd12. Could That Cause A Limp Home Mode
And If So How Would I Clear It. Ip Light Still Inop But Dont Care About That Now Just Nead It To Shift Help If You Can. Thanks Ps The Prnd12 Light Are Operating Properly Now.

#3 ·
tranny not shifting ???

hee hee ,
can i joinn you trany aching guys ,
my 85 tdi 6 cy, and i where driving along on a real nice day
when that awful mournful sound came from under my buttt
Weeeeeeee Weeeeeee Rooooor Bezzzzzzz Weeeeeee
i stop get out look under lo and be hold tranny juice all over the rd
i tow it home $50 buck ,
tell my 18 year old son check it out ,
yep dad theres a line leacking sinc i did not drive fr i figur i'm ok
my son filled it up with fluid,,
at super time i asked him how is my car running its not he replys
so i go out the garage to look for some thing and i see 6 lt of tranny oil
on the shlf 5.1/2 where empty
he my son who i love dearly put 5,1/2 tranny oil in the transmission
so i can't drain it to day ice cold ran ,, so on the morrow i shell drain it and put in 3,1/2
lt,, my Question is can you over full a tranny and cause it not to go in gear [ drive ] Igot good reverse thanks banjerman

#5 ·
To Harrison Doug: You have the electronic version of the 4HP22(E) transmission and you are in the "limp home" mode. Check the automatic transmission troubleshooting procedures that I have attached. The 528e that I had was the non-electronic version so I'm not familiar with the electronic one (my current 535i is manual).

Good Luck!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.