PDA

View Full Version : Requesting a Computer Hardware/software forum

Guest84
05-20-2003, 08:07 AM
Since a great number of Festers seem to be hardware/software junkies, why not a forum for questions and answer relating to the aforementioned?

Whohangs
05-20-2003, 09:55 AM
Good idea! :thumbup:

Spectre
05-20-2003, 06:12 PM
Doesn't off-topic suffice for that need? I don't see that many computer-related questions popping up anyhow. Besides, if you're going to ask a bunch of hardcore computer questions, there are probably more relevant forums to try.

My two cents. :angel:

-Peter

Guest84
05-28-2003, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Spectre
Doesn't off-topic suffice for that need? I don't see that many computer-related questions popping up anyhow. Besides, if you're going to ask a bunch of hardcore computer questions, there are probably more relevant forums to try.

My two cents. :angel:

-Peter

Who said it would be limited to questions? This is just from the last week alone
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30333
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30321
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30165&highlight=computer
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30265&highlight=computer
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30103&highlight=computer
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29939&highlight=computer
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29536&highlight=computer
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29557&highlight=computer
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28713&highlight=computer

We need one please! Punt!

mecklaiz
05-28-2003, 08:10 AM
heh heh, this is getting to be a rather broad based forum isn't it. Cool.

Z

alee
05-28-2003, 08:10 AM
If we get a computer forum, we'll need a sex forum too.

Guest84
05-28-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by alee
If we get a computer forum, we'll need a sex forum too.

The OT forum intro says "Anything goes, no holds barred"...I think the Sex forum is blanketed (excuse the pun) under the OT forum. :) Start your own thread, I want a computer forum! :p

postoak
05-28-2003, 10:29 AM
A computer forum would be nice. I have a string of questions to ask, like "Why, when I did a Windows update last week would my PC no longer boot?!?"

jw
05-28-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by postoak
A computer forum would be nice. I have a string of questions to ask, like "Why, when I did a Windows update last week would my PC no longer boot?!?"

Answer: Because you did a Windows update last week.

(please deposit quarter in slot above)

postoak
05-28-2003, 04:48 PM
Yeah, well I thought "fixes" were supposed to make things better! :(

Now, whenever I open an email in my re-installed Outlook Express it sizes to a small window instead of maximized as before and I've looked all over the place to find where you change this setting. It's so blankedty blank annoying -- who the heck wants to look at their emails in postcard size windows! :mad:

jw
05-28-2003, 05:11 PM

Now, whenever I open an email in my re-installed Outlook Express it sizes to a small window instead of maximized as before and I've looked all over the place to find where you change this setting. It's so blankedty blank annoying -- who the heck wants to look at their emails in postcard size windows! :mad:

That setting should be determined automatically based on the size of the window when you last closed it. Try opening a message, resizing it to the dimensions you want. Close the message window and then reopen. Upon reopening, the window setting should have taken.

postoak
05-28-2003, 07:56 PM
jw - yay!! Thanks. Actually, I had been using the maximize function to full-screen the window. That setting doesn't hold. I pulled the window out to full-screen size and that took, as you said. :thumbup:

jw
05-29-2003, 07:25 AM

As a person who has worked for software companies for the last 5+ years, I can personally attest that "fixes" more often cause other "headaches" which were previously unaddressed.

Glad you were able to sort out your issue. :thumbup:

Guest84
06-03-2003, 11:24 AM
Punt!

jw
06-03-2003, 11:38 AM
Return for touchdown!

Guest84
06-03-2003, 11:43 AM
Thank you! Keep returning them, they might give us that forum! :)

mecklaiz
06-03-2003, 12:22 PM
What we don't have it yet? Damn! I thought the need was clear and present.

:p

Z

Spectre
06-04-2003, 03:05 PM
Just looked at the first page of OT topics. 37 were not computer related. 1 was nominally (web page icons), and 2 were peripherally (digital cameras).

On the next page 34 threads were not computer related, 2 were (Win98 on an XP system and wireless routers), and 3 were peripherally (Planetside x 2, digital cameras).

This is a crying need? :confused: :dunno:

Mind you, I won't fight a computer forum. I just think there are plenty of fine computer forums out there right now and so little real traffic (of that type) here.

(On-side kick coming your way.)

Guest84
06-04-2003, 06:30 PM
Just looked at the first page of OT topics. 37 were not computer related. 1 was nominally (web page icons), and 2 were peripherally (digital cameras).

On the next page 34 threads were not computer related, 2 were (Win98 on an XP system and wireless routers), and 3 were peripherally (Planetside x 2, digital cameras).

This is a crying need? :confused: :dunno:

Mind you, I won't fight a computer forum. I just think there are plenty of fine computer forums out there right now and so little real traffic (of that type) here.

(On-side kick coming your way.)

We have a "test" forum at a UBB location where we can delete our own "Tests" after the test....case closed. ;)

Spectre
06-05-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Ripsnort
We have a "test" forum at a UBB location where we can delete our own "Tests" after the test....case closed. ;)
:dunno:

Guest84
06-10-2003, 04:03 PM
:dunno:

Waste of bandwidth, users can do a test in the OT forum, or anywhere for that matter, and then delete it.

Lets use the test forum for a computer forum.

PUNT!

Guest84
06-18-2003, 09:09 AM
*cough* ...(relentless) *Cough*

jw
06-18-2003, 09:14 AM
: popcorn:

:lmao:

Spectre
06-18-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Ripsnort
*cough* ...(relentless) *Cough*
Try Robitussin. It really helps for the relentless coughs. :rofl:

Guest84
07-09-2003, 11:58 AM
*cough*

HW
07-09-2003, 04:35 PM
then how about a post pix of your pets and children forum as well too :confused: :eeps: :p

in_d_haus
07-09-2003, 04:47 PM
Here ya go!

http://forums.anandtech.com/

Alex Baumann
07-09-2003, 04:57 PM
I want an Alpina forum :D

Guest84
07-10-2003, 07:06 AM
I want an Alpina forum :D

What, so you can post to yourself, and reply to yourself? :D :p

Guest84
07-19-2005, 02:49 PM
*cough*

Alex Baumann
07-19-2005, 02:59 PM
*cough*

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My computer beeped at me... what could it be? :D

WileECoyote
07-19-2005, 03:06 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My computer beeped at me... what could it be? :D

It's obvious you don't to tech support for a living :slap:

Alex Baumann
07-19-2005, 03:08 PM

I used to do every support in my company. Admin, sys-op, secretary, cleaning, accounting.... :p

Test_Engineer
07-19-2005, 03:08 PM
I couldn't handle talking with people that have no idea what they are looking at. :D

Guest84
07-19-2005, 04:22 PM
I couldn't handle talking with people that have no idea what they are looking at. :DPart of my job *(up until recently) was dealing with engineers who had no idea how to use CAD CAM software! :D (Most had high degrees in software engineering too!)

WileECoyote
07-19-2005, 04:50 PM
Part of my job *(up until recently) was dealing with engineers who had no idea how to use CAD CAM software! :D (Most had high degrees in software engineering too!)

I work with people with Masters and PhDs in computer science who don't know how to program or even use a computer. Having a Masters or a PhD only proves you know how to get an advanced degree, nothing more.

One PhD got hired for some programming work, received a laptop from the person he was replacing (who got promoted), and the 'old' guy told him there was a lotta crap on the system, so he could delete all the non-windows stuff. New guy did as he was told, and proceeded to remoe EVERY file that didn't have "windows" in its name. Yes, EVERY FILE :eek:

For those of you who don't know, Computer Science is about the theory of programming, not actually the degree for learning programming (usually computer engineering these days). That's a skill many colleges expect you to pick up along the way to getting your CS degree.

Guest84
07-19-2005, 05:53 PM
I work with people with Masters and PhDs in computer science who don't know how to program or even use a computer. Having a Masters or a PhD only proves you know how to get an advanced degree, nothing more.

One PhD got hired for some programming work, received a laptop from the person he was replacing (who got promoted), and the 'old' guy told him there was a lotta crap on the system, so he could delete all the non-windows stuff. New guy did as he was told, and proceeded to remoe EVERY file that didn't have "windows" in its name. Yes, EVERY FILE :eek:

For those of you who don't know, Computer Science is about the theory of programming, not actually the degree for learning programming (usually computer engineering these days). That's a skill many colleges expect you to pick up along the way to getting your CS degree.
Those with PhD's have a level of philosophical thought process rather than straight-forward, common sense thought processes. Its not that they're stupid, far from it. In my experiences, it has been observed that they don't break down a problem far enough to understand it, or break it down to the point that it creates yet more theories. :) At least thats my dealings with those with PhD's.

WileECoyote
07-20-2005, 09:04 AM
Those with PhD's have a level of philosophical thought process rather than straight-forward, common sense thought processes. Its not that they're stupid, far from it.

I've seen it several times where someone with that sort of advanced degree has spent so much time dedicated to one area of study that they become ignorant of the things around them that most people are able to do without too much though process. It's truly bizarre how people can get that way.

Jever
08-04-2005, 05:32 PM
+1, this would be another great subforum.

johnf
08-04-2005, 05:57 PM
I've seen it several times where someone with that sort of advanced degree has spent so much time dedicated to one area of study that they become ignorant of the things around them that most people are able to do without too much though process. It's truly bizarre how people can get that way.It is the curse of expert specialization. As you get more advance degrees -- bachelors, masters, then doctorate -- you learn more and more about less and less until you know everything about nothing.