PDA

View Full Version : Whining/Squealing Noise

BDurham
07-08-2008, 02:05 AM
Ok I am a complete newb when it comes to cars and being able to find and fix problems so bare with me please. I have a 97 M3 Sedan 120,xxx miles. About 6 months ago I began hearing a type of whining or squealing noise that came from the front of my motor when I would take off in first gear in low rpm. It would usually start after the car had been warmed up and maybe driven for 5 minutes or more. I took it to a shop and they immediately diagnosed it as my timing chain. I payed nearly 1,100 to have it and the censors replaced. The noise was not fixed, long story short my car was back in that shop 4 or 5 more times and they replaced my cams, vanos, among other things. The last time they finally got it, they believed it was the cam but they really weren't sure what they replaced that fixed it because they had the engine apart so many times:dunno:. Well I left satisfied that I got all these parts for only the original 1,100 that I paid. It cost them a lot of time and labor but also me a lot of time without a car. Anywho, it's 6th months later and the noise is back. Like i said it comes on usually when taking off from a stop and then also coming to a stop and downshifting. It's really a hard noise to describe but I can best describe it as a high-pitched whine. Please any help would be appreciated, I'm lost and annoyed:dunno::mad:

Bruce
07-08-2008, 06:16 AM
Sounds like a serpentine belt tensioner to me.

fizzle
07-08-2008, 07:29 AM
yep, the belt, sounds like

BDurham
07-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Is this something that can be taken out and easily repaired? Or will it be something that needs to be taken out and replaced? Will it be as big of an expense as the timing chain was for me 6 months ago? Any help on what could be done would be appreciated.

Bruce
07-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Easy fix. Doesn't sound like you are a DIYer. Figure it will take 2 hours labor for a shop to do it (as them what the hours of labor for the job is before they start). Slight chance you could need a water pump. Water pumps (and the whole cooling system) should be on your preventative maintenance list at least every 60k (if not every 45k).

BDurham
07-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Easy fix. Doesn't sound like you are a DIYer. Figure it will take 2 hours labor for a shop to do it (as them what the hours of labor for the job is before they start). Slight chance you could need a water pump. Water pumps (and the whole cooling system) should be on your preventative maintenance list at least every 60k (if not every 45k).

No, I'm not but my dad is:) I'm wondering if he would be able to do it:dunno:

fun2drive
07-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Lots of write-ups on this forum and bimmerforums.com too about how to replace this. You can search the E36 section as well as M3 as they are the same system.
I would think the tensioner or one of the other pulleys would be causing this. My AC on my M3 makes a lot of noise as well but so far it has not failed.

BDurham
07-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Lots of write-ups on this forum and bimmerforums.com too about how to replace this. You can search the E36 section as well as M3 as they are the same system.
I would think the tensioner or one of the other pulleys would be causing this. My AC on my M3 makes a lot of noise as well but so far it has not failed.

My air conditioner has been weaker lately. Is this problem linked?

Corey Milne
07-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Your ac might be resisting more than it should due to failed compressor, causing the belt to slip over it until some momentum has built (just a thought).
My belts doing the same thing right now, quick fix was tensioner! (and check for little cracks in your belt, replace if cracks go farther than 1/3 into belt, I personally would replace if it had any cracks.)

BDurham
07-15-2008, 02:26 PM
Your ac might be resisting more than it should due to failed compressor, causing the belt to slip over it until some momentum has built (just a thought).
My belts doing the same thing right now, quick fix was tensioner! (and check for little cracks in your belt, replace if cracks go farther than 1/3 into belt, I personally would replace if it had any cracks.)

Thanks

aavi
07-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Sounds like a serpentine belt tensioner to me.

i also get this noise like a bird is chirping when i take a left turn, in a straight line it is very low, when i go over the bumps it doesnt come.....but when i take a left turn its noticeble...

CAN IT BE WHEEL BEARINGS?

Bruce
07-15-2008, 07:46 PM
wheel bearings usually sound like thumps....more noticeable turning one way vs the other.

Could be a loose sway bar or the bracket might need some grease.

BDurham
07-16-2008, 12:29 AM
Could someone point me in the right direction for a write-up on how to change the belt. Appreciated.

fun2drive
07-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Pelicanparts.com has a write up on many things and I think has one for an E36. It might be an E30 but they are similar.
Try that site and look for some of the writeups there...

fun2drive
07-20-2008, 08:01 PM
This one is for a water pump replacement but will get you in the ballpark.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/E36-Water-Pump/E36-water-pump.htm