PDA

View Full Version : E36 m3 mods worth it?

M3jonesrr
07-28-2008, 02:21 AM
Im considering buying an E36 M3 and putting dinan S3 package on it.seems like it would cost about the same as getting a stock E46 M3 thats is already where the s3 dinan package would take the e36? I like the vintage style of e36 but the performance and technology in the e46.I do hate putting my car in the shop,and being stranded by unexpected breakdowns.E36 seems more analog and mechanical and easy to work on.But a fresher e46 might spend less time in the shop.Ive heard putting aftermarket radios in e46s can lead to computer or electrical problems,I must have i pod port ,did e46 have one and what year did they start?anyway I see alot of supercharged e36s for sale,I am guessing it isnt perfection though it seems like it would be.I would like to hear from someone who has owned a supercharged dinan s3 modded e36,is it worth the trouble?What are some of the drawbacks?is the car breaking down and in the shop any more than an unmodded one would be?

CAMDINANS3
07-28-2008, 10:08 AM
i've got the S3 package from dinan on my 95 and i love it.....whole different level of car. i havent had any issues at all. Dinan is very conservative and its performance without sacrafice. everything works really well together, the S3 package is expensive but in my opinion worth it. and not to mention it is ridiculously fast. Comparing the e36 to the e46 is kind of two different worlds here. i also wanted an e46 originally but i went the e36 route and its awesome.

e30e
07-28-2008, 11:30 AM
S3 is the supercharger kit correct? You can get more boost and more power out of similiar priced kits. DINAN IS OVER-RATED in the e36's, In all cars to me personally. If you plan to mod an e36, boost is the only way to go consider going hardcore n/a costs the same and does not come close in terms of power.

M3jonesrr
07-28-2008, 08:46 PM
cool,for the 10,000 does that include labor?350 hp should be hardcore enough. How often do you go thru back tires?Is the exhaust goldy locks like they claim.just the right volume?

Brian McKinney
07-30-2008, 08:21 AM
i think the VF enngineering system is the best bang for the buck..for $6,000 installed

M3jonesrr
08-03-2008, 02:11 AM
I checked out VF engineerings website. The supercharger looks like it was built and installed from BMW factory, I like the price and performance.I compared it to the Dinan package and indeed VF is nicer. Most of the difference in price on Dinan package is suspension upgrades which I do want,but then I forgot better brakes for another 3 to 6000 dollars. Then noticed a flywheel/clutch upgrade that would also be nice around $2000.Then saw a transmission chip upgrade. I see this could get out of control really quick. It would be a awesome car! At that price Im getting into used E46 M3 prices. But the plus side of E36 is that the upgrades and mods could be done in stages as budget permits.

Roland H
08-03-2008, 07:41 AM
I see this could get out of control really quick.

It never ends. Never.

Corey Milne
08-03-2008, 01:02 PM
i'm looking forward to dumping all of my hard in money into an M car with no regrets too:D
(i'm not being sarcastic)

VillanovaGrad
08-03-2008, 02:01 PM
you should buy E36 M3 and invest in maintenance and all the bs that comes with buying old cars rather than spending it on mods...
a lot of stuff will need to be replaced...

e30e
08-03-2008, 03:21 PM
My buddies Stg. 2 AA Centrifugal Supercharged E36 M3 keeps up with C5 ZO6 in the quarter mile, He's put easily put 10k in his car and is not even close to being finished.

CAMDINANS3
08-04-2008, 07:52 AM
S3 is the supercharger kit correct? You can get more boost and more power out of similiar priced kits. DINAN IS OVER-RATED in the e36's, In all cars to me personally. If you plan to mod an e36, boost is the only way to go consider going hardcore n/a costs the same and does not come close in terms of power.

yeah the S3 is the vortech supercharger, exhaust, and stage 3 suspension (koni springs and shocks + 22mm front and rear sway bars and front and rear strut bars) and hell i mean i've also got the dinan throttle bodies and im putting down ~350hp

CAMDINANS3
08-04-2008, 07:54 AM
cool,for the 10,000 does that include labor?350 hp should be hardcore enough. How often do you go thru back tires?Is the exhaust goldy locks like they claim.just the right volume?

i actually love the DINAN exhaust, but i've also got supersprint long tube ceramic coated headers too.....its not loud and doesnt drone. at first i thought it was too quiet but i love it now, im putting in the AA track pipe pretty soon too so maybe it'll make it a little louder. the DINAN parts are expensive no doubt but they all WORK thats for sure.

CAMDINANS3
08-04-2008, 07:58 AM
oh and dont go with VF...if you arent going to go with DINAN, the best alternative is the twin screw kit from AA...SO much better trust me....and guys...when DINAN puts this stuff on your car they pretty much go through the engine and replace a lot of stuff. but i do agree with villanovagrad with the maintance...do the normal stuff before you boost it, water pump, fan delete etc. otherwise that 10K you're going to put in will be pretty much pointless. the dinan stage 3 suspension though is awesome. ride quality is better than most cars. and your question about rear tires...well...you do go through them kinda quick but solution = adjustable rear control arms, they're less than $300 and trust me you'll want them. it will save you a lot of headaches. I've also got a 3.38 LSD with 75% lock and that thing wakes up the car too.....hauls ass. next step......euro/e46 6 speed to help with highway crusing.

M3jonesrr
08-06-2008, 03:46 AM
Im encouraged to see E36 M3 modders are so enthusiastic about their cars,Im feelin good about buyin E36! Seems worth the effort and cash. Because I dont hear anyone lamenting about their tweaked E36s.

Brian McKinney
08-06-2008, 06:58 AM
i am all about getting as much out of a naturally aspirated car as I can, keep it as "stock looking" as posible and do weight reductions to aid in acceleration and better cornering

CAMDINANS3
08-06-2008, 01:03 PM
lol oh come on.....yeah lightening is good and all, but if you really want to go fast FI is the way to go. You will spend SO much trying to keep the car N/A and get decent power. Doing an OBD I swap with a sunbelt cam kit and the associated mods will run you ~3,000 and get you ~260hp?. or you can spend $5,000 and get a lot of the same parts, save the cams, can get like 350hp. and have room to expand beyond that. i mean n/a is cool and i know a bunch of guys that are all into keeping things stock and OEM, and im all for that, there has to be some mint OEM examples but FI is the way to go....

e36m34life
08-11-2008, 04:12 PM
I will be going FI with my E36 within approximately a year or so! Can't wait!!!

CAMDINANS3
08-12-2008, 01:08 PM
awesome!

estoril blu
08-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Anyone know a good place to purhase one of these dinan kits and how much extra break would it add to an evo lump with 321 break?

blackxs
08-16-2008, 04:34 PM
I have an E36 M3 and i spend a lot of money on it in maitnence, but regardless i plan on going through the whole car and restoring all of it; installing custom m3 evo gt2 seats and front fascia.

However I am unsure as to whether I should get an S3 kit for my US engine or buy a euro engine and maybe put a small amount of boost on that. I would love to have a euro engine

e30e
08-19-2008, 01:05 PM
I have an E36 M3 and i spend a lot of money on it in maitnence, but regardless i plan on going through the whole car and restoring all of it; installing custom m3 evo gt2 seats and front fascia.

However I am unsure as to whether I should get an S3 kit for my US engine or buy a euro engine and maybe put a small amount of boost on that. I would love to have a euro engine

For the price of the euro engine, you can save a lot of parts head-aches by getting s54....Boosting euro s50 is not easy either.

M3jonesrr
08-29-2008, 03:43 AM
I know its off topic but I just saw a video on the new M5 G-power hurricane teil 1 found it inspiring and the guy driving cracks me up I think he says Kaput! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttRMJ0FYZ34

CAMDINANS3
08-29-2008, 07:49 AM
the euro engine is the shiz...

cornercarver
09-23-2008, 02:00 PM
I have a Dinan stage III 1999 M3 that I purchased in February of 2008 with 27k miles on it (27,462 to be exact). I now have 44k on it and just had to replace the stock clutch. I went with an aluminium flywheel and standard M5 clutch pressure plate combo to eliminate the dual mass M3 flywheel.

My Dinan exhaust cracked on the top of the muffler from stem to stern (looked like a lightening bolt) with 37k on the car. I called Dinan and they said their warranty is good for two years after the factory BMW warranty expires. They offered to sell me another exhaust system at ful price. I found a new Borla system for less than half of the Dinan system cost.

I do like the suspension upgrades and know that Steve Dinan puts a tremendous amount of effort into engineering his upgrades but if you are purchasing ann E36 instead of a new BMW (which I whole-heartedly reccommend!) then I would go for the best E36 M3 that you can find and put your money into another supercharger kit. Active Autowerks or others as recommended above are good. My local shop (All Speed) owner has an M Roadster (Z3 version) with an AA supercharger and intercooler and he is putting down 374 at the wheels. My Dinan unit (lower boost and no intercooler) puts down 298 to the pavement.

It is seriously fun and I want to go with a BBK and additional front suspension mods soon.

CAMDINANS3
09-26-2008, 12:47 PM
im dynoing pretty much 300whp with the S50 with my dinan kit.......

blacktop
09-28-2008, 11:00 PM
well i know this once you drop allot in the car you cant bring your self to ever sell it.
i have a 1997 e36 m3 4dr mods are
stromung exhaust ,uuc underdive pulleys ,dinan throttle body,dinan supercharger,automatic rear end.i dropped about 16,000 into car rims kosia,carbon fiber hood.stick conversion.
its okay i expected more my camaro was faster with allot less money just handled like crap.maybe if i had the dinan upgrade from a.a.w id be happy just broke now.
people pick dinan kits smog legal.

gripenM
10-13-2008, 04:33 PM
i purchased my 97 M3 with 60,000km (37,000miles) on it with the dinan supercharger which was installed at a bmw dealership
install looks very neat
it goes like stink, sounds freakin great (got supersprint exhaust) got the UUC lightweight flywheel with e34 M5 clutch combo
clutch is actually lighter than the stock M3 clutch feel, and feels very daily drivable
haven't driven a stock E36 M3 actually so i couldn't say power comparison wise

i chose it over the E46 M3 because of driving feel
it also seems to be much much more nimble than my previous car which was an e46 323 (had H&R cupkit and sways)

no regrets here :D

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e347/gimchinemseh/e36enginebay.jpg

Carbon
11-03-2008, 08:34 AM
cool,for the 10,000 does that include labor?350 hp should be hardcore enough.

350? :dunno:

I have got 341hp with about 700 of modifications and a remap.........why would a supercharger only produce 350hp......surely 450?

Or am i showing a complete lack of clear thinking?

Carbon:)

Bruce
11-03-2008, 08:50 AM
350? :dunno:

I have got 341hp with about 700 of modifications and a remap.........why would a supercharger only produce 350hp......surely 450?

Or am i showing a complete lack of clear thinking?

they are talking about the US E36 M3 motor which is different than the Euro spec motor.

Carbon
11-03-2008, 09:01 AM
How much power has the US M3 got?:dunno:

Carbon:thumbup:

Bruce
11-03-2008, 11:08 AM
How much power has the US M3 got?:dunno:

Carbon:thumbup:

240...it is an enlarged version of the 325/328 M50 motor.

Carbon
11-03-2008, 11:23 AM
240...it is an enlarged version of the 325/328 M50 motor.

Oh........didnt know that.........do now though.

Poor chaps across the pond. You really are hard done by.

Is the E46 different power as well?

Bruce
11-03-2008, 01:46 PM

only 5 less HP due to the placement of the cats in the header (to heat up faster for emissions reasons)

slickfast
11-15-2008, 06:07 AM

I am supremely jealous of you guys across the pond, you have all the versions that we want! I was thinking about doing a euro engine swap, but found out it would cost around $10,000 after all is said and done! I think I'd rather just add a supercharger and do the suspension mods myself!

erkinak
02-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Don't mean to wake up an old tread from the dead buuuut, I just had to since it talks about a lot of things I'm interested in. I'm purchashing a 99 M3 coupe 5spd next week with 80k miles on it. After doing all the necessary maintanence stuff I'd like to go F/I. The uuc clutch kit with the M5 clutch seems like the way to go. It's a common upgrade, can hold up to high hp/tq #s and everyone loves it.

Would it help to drop the M50 kit to compliment the supercharger? Has anyone done both? Any other essential "best bang for the buck" suggestions? Thank you.