PDA

View Full Version : Lightening up an M3??

Brian McKinney
07-30-2008, 02:06 PM
sound deadening material, lighter exhaust and no rear spare tire. What else can be done, take out the wiring and rear amplifier, taking out the rear speakers. I am shopping for an M3 for weekends and track days, I live way down south and taking out the AC would be down right stupid, but would shave alot of weight off. Would like to leave two speakers in with an aftermarket stereo. any ideas, how light are the factory 17" wheels??

slickfast
07-30-2008, 02:11 PM
you want a track car with a/c and a stereo in it?? :confused:

e30e
07-30-2008, 02:26 PM
Did you include all the crap in the trunk?

Don't go as far a removing heat shield though.....the Carpet weighs atleast 50 lbs. CF everything relieves weight. Rear Seats? Door Panels and Rear interior? How hardcore are we talking?

CalRick
07-30-2008, 03:33 PM
you want a track car with a/c and a stereo in it?? :confused:

Depends upon whether he is driving it to and from the track or trailering it.

Brian McKinney
07-30-2008, 10:26 PM
driving to and from the track and occasional street use, carbon fiber is out I want it to look as stock as possible(sand bag SCCA Pro-Solo)

CAMDINANS3
07-31-2008, 10:15 AM
id say removing the rear seats is probably the best thing you can do. i mean its not that hard to remove them and put them back in and thats a significant amount of weight. the spare tire also should be out. but i think it would be stupid to take out the a/c stereo and all the carpet and stuff, its not going to help THAT much, and you'll hate yourself when you drive it on the street.

Mufflerman
07-31-2008, 10:28 AM
Hey I have a car I have started a track conversion on that I think I am going to sell. 1995 M3, 135Kmiles, PSS9 coil overs (brand new), Carbon hood, Corbeau seats,, sparco wheel, UUC short shifter, new water pump, new aluminum Radiator, fresh service. Car still needs a cage and some other minor things to be track ready and it has a salvage title due to a front end collision that has already been repaired (light no airbag deployment) it runs and drives and will need brake and light to be registered for street use, I will take $7500. Call me if you want 916-997-3687 -Colby

CAMDINANS3
07-31-2008, 11:36 AM
well there ya go....jump on that. hell those PSS9's thats like ~$1500 right there you wouldnt have to spend, plus all that carbon fiber you could sell and make back a bunch of money because you dont want it.

Brian McKinney
07-31-2008, 01:12 PM
I want to do all the work myself on a stock unit

jvr826
07-31-2008, 01:54 PM
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=361254&highlight=strip+weight

You won't do all of this, but it's a great place to look to see how much things weigh. This guy stripped the car down to the shell and weighed every part of it.

Brian McKinney
07-31-2008, 02:32 PM
I figured 200 pounds is ideal, gets the car well below 3,000 anyone know the weight of the stock wheels, would BBS's be lighter

Mufflerman
08-01-2008, 02:32 PM
I am not sure of the weight savings, but if your willing to take the guts of the sunroof out that is the best place to remove weight. I thought I remebered reading somewhere taking the roof out of an e36 was equivalant to lowering the car over an inch.

Boile
08-01-2008, 02:36 PM
sound deadening material, lighter exhaust and no rear spare tire. What else can be done, take out the wiring and rear amplifier, taking out the rear speakers. I am shopping for an M3 for weekends and track days, I live way down south and taking out the AC would be down right stupid, but would shave alot of weight off. Would like to leave two speakers in with an aftermarket stereo. any ideas, how light are the factory 17" wheels??

You don't need AC at the track. :dunno:
And sound deadening material adds weight.

Roland H
08-03-2008, 07:50 AM

Catback exhaust, rear seat delete, spare delete, lighweight race seats, lightwieght wheels (stockers are ~26 each IIRC, aftermarkets can be had as low as 16.0lbs), lighweight flywheel, sound deadening, CF trunk and Hood, sunroof delete, lightweight battery, lighweight driveshafts, CF interior door panels.

Thats what I get....

That will get you pretty damn low and still have AC + Radio.

CAMDINANS3
08-04-2008, 07:51 AM
i think somewhere there are lightened door pannels...i think ours weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 45lbs and you can get ones that weigh like 5lbs? wouldnt want to drive on the street with that but...its an option.

Pinecone
08-16-2008, 10:29 AM
If you are running SCCA Pro Solo, get the rule book, read and heed. Otherwise you wil find yourself protested out of every event.

If you are looking at any event that has rules, then FOLLOW the rules. Trust me, the others running have seen the tricks and will catch you.

And anyway, it is 90% the driver, not the car.

What you really want is a LTW to start with. Lighter already, no sunroof (saves weight), aluminum doors (saves weight), thinner carpet and sound deadening.