PDA

View Full Version : Bringing an old e36 M3 for life

naregmeg
07-30-2008, 11:07 PM
Hi, this is my first time posting in the e36 section because I have a 2002 325i. Anyways, my neighbor has a 1997 M3 with 60k miles and he never drives it. Since he's been my neighbor for over a year, that car has only turned on once becasue he just showed me how it runs, and surprisingly ran very well. He tells me if i fix it up, i can drive it once in a while.
Over time, the cars gets messed up if its never driven, and my question is, where do i get started? what kind of things do i look for and change? its a manual.

Thank You

Brian McKinney
07-30-2008, 11:27 PM
make sure it doesnt over heat first, then you got yourself a good start

slickfast
07-31-2008, 07:49 AM
I don't know how much work you do on your own, but if a car's been sitting without being driven, youre going to have to check it very thoroughly for dried out or corroded parts. Check the belts, hoses, seals, anything that can dry out and have it replaced immediately. The a/c is probably out or close to it, as the seals for the compressor need to be warmed up every once in a while or they dry out and crack. Also, it may idle just fine, but take it out for a slow test drive and watch the gauges for overheating, as the thermostat may be stuck or the radiator neck cracked. Just generally, take it easy and be careful until you really are sure that nothing is going to overheat. Have fun!

Pinecone
08-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Is he paying for parts? If not, not a good deal.

Better to buy the car from him, then you can drive it all the time.

fanofthebimmers
08-20-2008, 09:35 PM
Is he paying for parts? If not, not a good deal.

Better to buy the car from him, then you can drive it all the time.

+1

Hey kid, I'll let you fix my car and don't forget to cuss, scrape knuckles, get dirty, use your time, etc and I might toss the keys your way from time to time. When I feel like being nice.......maybe.

You lose, try to see if he's willing to sell it and when you get it to good condition the time invested goes back to you.

dinanm3atl
08-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Does it run fine when you drive it around?

Does he want to sell it? haha

Mr.///Matt
08-25-2008, 01:46 PM
at 60k ****.. the car is brand new.. lol it hasn't even been let loose :drive:...