PDA

View Full Version : M3 seat recliner problem

dopple
07-31-2008, 11:10 PM
My new used 88k mile M3 has its first problem. The motor that moves the entire back part of the seat forward and backward and not the bottom has a problem.

It just makes a clicking noise but you can help it up by hand when you a pressing the switch.

It will go down normally.

Is this the same type of problem with a cable that I have read about on 525 electric seats?

My car is a 1995.

Thanks again for all the help you folks have offered me.

Edev
07-31-2008, 11:59 PM
get manual seats. you wont have that problem..and theyre lighter :)

e30e
08-02-2008, 03:25 AM
Its almost cheaper to go to vader seats if you pay someone to repair the motor in your seats fyi.

dopple
08-02-2008, 09:58 AM
I would think they might have the notorious cable stretch problem I hear about so much.

Even if I have to move it to upright by hand that is not that big of a deal for me. It is more important to maintain the structure and engine and paint on the car.

Since I have the 525it touring wagon with a seat problem I can get my experience on it before I break into the M3.

I don't plan on putting alot of miles on this car so I am hoping the servicing will not be too exhaustive.

wingnut1961
08-20-2008, 05:56 AM
It's most likely the notorious plastic gear. I replaced mine a while ago and it was fairly easy and cheap. Read this http://www.odometergears.com/subpages/E36FAQ.html

dopple
08-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Thanik you very much for the time you took to find the link and paste it in your reply.

I appreciate that very much.

Well now I know what probably needs to be done. This would make a nice project for a slow winter day.