PDA

View Full Version : Should I take it out to a professional detailer or upgrade my equipment and continue

Magna
02-27-2002, 10:32 PM
Maybe I should PM alee on this question, but I thought others maybe interested too.

If I bought a Porter Cable and other equipment/tools/wax/polish how much would that all cost? Perhaps $300? What would you consider the essential tools?

When I have all the necessary stuff, how long do you think it would take to completely detail my car? 2 hours?

Currently I have been doing everything by hand and it takes me all morning and day--7 hours. I only detail my car twice a year (Spring and Fall) and now it's not as much fun as before. I am considering having someone detail it for me or upgrading my equipment and doing it myself. I believe a professional detailer would charge about $250. So the bottom line question: Should I take it out to a professional detailer or upgrade my equipment and continue to do it myself?

Thanks for any input.

alee
02-28-2002, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by Magna
If I bought a Porter Cable and other equipment/tools/wax/polish how much would that all cost? Perhaps $300? What would you consider the essential tools?
I would say minimum for a full detailing kit would probably run you about $400-$500. Figure Porter Cable, various pads for it, clay, car wash, wax, polish, fluids for cleaning windshield, wheels, tires, leather, etc. and a lot of towels.
When I have all the necessary stuff, how long do you think it would take to completely detail my car? 2 hours?
Rip can confirm this, but PC may save you an 30 to 1hr off your detail time. It may be more efficient because you don't get nearly as tired, but you still do have to be patient and spend time.
Should I take it out to a professional detailer or upgrade my equipment and continue to do it myself?
$500 would be roughly 2 full (interior and exterior) details, and what would that get you through...? Spring and Fall.

Assuming you go to a good detailer, the advantages are experience, and access to equipment and cleaning fluids that you wouldn't normally have. If you don't trust yourself polishing, I would recommend a pro. If you don't have the time or the resources, go with a pro as well.

However, there is something to consider... while a detailer makes his living off making cars look good, I personally think they are never going to give your car the love and respect that you give it.

It's important to visit the detailer a few times prior to going there. Watch them wash a few cars, esp. dark colors. Look at finished cars and inspect the job. If you don't like it, you shouldn't go to them.

For what it's worth, I'm going to head to a detailer this spring because I'd like a few paint chips taken care of as well as having my car professionally polished. Since I have no garage to work from, I'm not comfortable with doing touchup work like this while competing with the environment.

I'm still probably going to get the Porter Cable and various equipment though, because in the long run, I'm planning on detailing my car a lot more than I plan on visiting a detailer. At the very least it'll make it easier to apply and remove wax.

johnlew
02-28-2002, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by alee

I would say minimum for a full detailing kit would probably run you about $400-$500. Figure Porter Cable, various pads for it, clay, car wash, wax, polish, fluids for cleaning windshield, wheels, tires, leather, etc. and a lot of towels.

I think your estimate is high. The p/c setup should run no more than about $150 with the pads and all. Some of your existing detail polishes and waxes are fine to use depending upon what you have.

Guest84
02-28-2002, 06:25 AM
Alee pretty much covered it, I can add nothing.

Guest84
02-28-2002, 06:32 AM
To follow up with John, yes, the minimum you could get away with on the finish alone, would be as this:

Griots starter kit, $59.00 (http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1001&SKU=11131) (This includes everything you'd need for the finish except Machine Polish #3)

Machine polish #3, $14.95 (http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1004&SKU=11163)

100% Cotton Polishing cloth's,$28.95 (http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1005&SKU=11525)

Porter Cable Random Orbital with accessories, Approx $135 total (http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/pr7424.htm?L+coastest+ypmn1650ff3d873d+1014935166)

So for roughly $237, you could get what you need to do it yourself, with a Carnauba based wax like Griots.

That would get you started. Of course, if you really don't enjoy it anymore, than you may not be able to justify the cost of something you don't enjoy doing, take it to a detail shop in that case.

alee
02-28-2002, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Alee pretty much covered it, I can add nothing.
I even left Rip speechless. :yikes:

Guest84
02-28-2002, 06:36 AM
Morning Alee! :)

Incidently, I believe most detailers will cost between $100-$200, depending on your location...so to me its worth doing myself.

Mike 325xi
02-28-2002, 06:42 AM

Incidently, I believe most detailers will cost between $100-$200, depending on your location...so to me its worth doing myself.
Hmmmm...I'm not sure why but the detailer that I go to is free :confused:

alee
02-28-2002, 06:44 AM

Morning Rip. :)

Wish I had a garage... then I wouldn't be standing outside like a doofus washing my car in 20 degree weather. :D

alee
02-28-2002, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by Mike 325xi

Hmmmm...I'm not sure why but the detailer that I go to is free :confused:
Still doesn't fix your bird problem, does it.

johnlew
02-28-2002, 06:50 AM

Wish I had a garage... then I wouldn't be standing outside like a doofus washing my car in 20 degree weather. :D

20 degrees outside here, car caked in salt...5 minute "touchless" wash on the way to work, aahhhhhhhhhhhhh. Warm towel touchup when I get home. Car beuuuuuuuuuuuuuutiful! :thumb:

Mike 325xi
02-28-2002, 06:51 AM

Still doesn't fix your bird problem, does it.
Rip is lending me a shotgun...that may not completely stop the goose problem but it will sure make me feel better about it :thumb: Wanna join me? You can eat the geese that we shoot :D

alee
02-28-2002, 06:53 AM
Wanna join me? You can eat the geese that we shoot :D
Ok, but I want them fully cooked. Goose liver pate sounds awfully good right now. :thumb:

Dr. Phil
02-28-2002, 06:57 AM

Al here's an idea..........

You can house all your supplies in my nice 2 car garage where I'll be sure to guard them like my own:D

Then you can take a nice scenic ride up to Etown every time you need a full detail:thumb: And the best part is this will only cost you a matching detail on the wagon each time you come up:D

And you can use my grill to cook Mike's geese:confused:

alee
02-28-2002, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by PM 325xiT
And you can use my grill to cook Mike's geese:confused:
I thought you folks out in the sticks used your engine manifold for grilling? :D

Dr. Phil
02-28-2002, 07:00 AM

I thought you folks out in the sticks used your engine manifold for grilling? :D
That was pre BMW days, now I use a Weber:thumb:

alee
02-28-2002, 07:05 AM

That was pre BMW days, now I use a Weber:thumb:
:thumb: I love my Weber grill.

Mike 325xi
02-28-2002, 07:08 AM

That would be kind of messy with the goose grease dripping all over...but it is great for heating canned Spaghetti-O's :thumb:

Mike 325xi
02-28-2002, 07:09 AM

:thumb: I love my Weber grill.
Can you grill jellyfish? :confused: Does it stick to the grill? :dunno:

alee
02-28-2002, 07:20 AM

That would be kind of messy with the goose grease dripping all over...but it is great for heating canned Spaghetti-O's :thumb:
Spaghetti-O's? What's the special occasion? Big job promotion?

alee
02-28-2002, 07:22 AM

Can you grill jellyfish? :confused: Does it stick to the grill? :dunno:
Never tried, but I guess what I'm trying this spring. :D

Mike 325xi
02-28-2002, 07:33 AM

Spaghetti-O's? What's the special occasion? Big job promotion?
I was shocked that the last time I went to Striped Bass I couldn't get any Spaghetti-O's...pffffft...4 star restaurant my ass :mad:

Dr. Phil
02-28-2002, 07:53 AM

Never tried, but I guess what I'm trying this spring. :D
Let me know the date and time so I can be sure to go to Mike's to eat instead of your house:eeps: Oh what the heck I feeling bold, count me in:D

Mike 325xi
02-28-2002, 08:27 AM

Let me know the date and time so I can be sure to go to Mike's to eat instead of your house:eeps: Oh what the heck I feeling bold, count me in:D
You know...after all this talk about jelly fish, I have to try it...my curiosity has gotten the best of me...so if Al's grillin' I'm tryin' :thumb: And worse case, I smother it in hot sauce :thumb:

Dr. Phil
02-28-2002, 08:37 AM

You know...after all this talk about jelly fish, I have to try it...my curiosity has gotten the best of me...so if Al's grillin' I'm tryin' :thumb: And worse case, I smother it in hot sauce :thumb:
And I'll bring the Tums/Malox and barf bags:eeps:

alee
02-28-2002, 08:40 AM

Now hot sauces I have. :D I even have pure capsaicin extract. Dangerous stuff... 1 drop to about a gallon of chili is enough to give you rude bowel movements for a week.

Ever put hot sauce on a cheesesteak? :D

Mike 325xi
02-28-2002, 08:53 AM

Now hot sauces I have. :D I even have pure capsaicin extract. Dangerous stuff... 1 drop to about a gallon of chili is enough to give you rude bowel movements for a week.

Sure I put hot sauce on a cheesesteak occasionally, but not the seriously hot stuff.

Capsaicin extract is the stuff they put in pepper spray right?? Nasty stuff :yikes: Do you actually use it??

I saw on the Food Network last week a show about hot sauces and peppers...the host put a miniscule drop of a hot sauce called "Liquid Stoopid" on a corn chip, it was made from Capsaicin I think...within seconds he was red as can be, sweating like he had just run a marathon, eyes were running and he had to down some milk to try to counteract it!! I'm sorry but that is just F'n nuts!! :yikes:

Dr. Phil
02-28-2002, 08:53 AM

I'm sure Mike, like I, puts hot sauce on just about anything:p

I hope you mean capsicum:dunno: Capasaicin doesn't sound quite as tasty, I'd prefer the organic stuff:(

capsaicin (kp-s-sn) n. A colorless, pungent, crystalline compound, C18H27NO3, that is derived from capsicum and is a strong irritant to skin and mucous membranes

If it is capsicum, when's dinner?:D

Mike 325xi
02-28-2002, 08:55 AM

I'm sure Mike, like I, puts hot sauce on just about anything:p

I hope you mean capsicum:dunno: Capasaicin doesn't sound quite as tasty:(

capsaicin (kp-s-sn) n. A colorless, pungent, crystalline compound, C18H27NO3, that is derived from capsicum and is a strong irritant to skin and mucous membranes

If it is capsicum, when's dinner?:D
No I think he means capsaicin...I'm pretty sure they put it in some ridiculous hot sauces.

Dr. Phil
02-28-2002, 08:56 AM

No I think he means capsaicin...I'm pretty sure they put it in some ridiculous hot sauces.
My bad......I thought maybe he was trying to poison us with pepper spray:D

Mike 325xi
02-28-2002, 09:01 AM

Here is the stuff...I was wrong..."Liquid Stoopid" was the milder stuff on the show...check this out...

http://hotsaucecatalog.com/hs1154.html

alee
02-28-2002, 09:03 AM

Pepper spray would work fine too. :D

Dr. Phil
02-28-2002, 09:05 AM

Here is the stuff...I was wrong..."Liquid Stoopid" was the milder stuff on the show...check this out...

http://hotsaucecatalog.com/hs1154.html

Very thoughtful Mike, now Al will have another $1000 order to place right after he finishes up with Griot's:D

Some of that stuff sounds very wicked:yikes: I think we would all look like this :mad: for a few days after some chili with Pure Cap in it.

alee
02-28-2002, 09:05 AM
I hope you mean capsicum:dunno: Capasaicin doesn't sound quite as tasty, I'd prefer the organic stuff:(
Oops, you're right... capsicum is the right word.:D

Mike 325xi
02-28-2002, 09:07 AM

Oops, you're right... capsicum is the right word.:D
You wimp...check out the link I just posted...that one says capsaicin :yikes:

Dr. Phil
02-28-2002, 09:07 AM

Pepper spray would work fine too. :D
Thanks Al :thumbdwn: I guess I jumped the gun on feeling the Love today:cry:

But you can make up for it once my cable modem blows up and I make the call for your help:D On the small chance that it works:rolleyes: I'll be a posting fool tonight:thumb:

Mike 325xi
02-28-2002, 09:08 AM

Very thoughtful Mike, now Al will have another $1000 order to place right after he finishes up with Griot's:D

Some of that stuff sounds very wicked:yikes: I think we would all look like this :mad: for a few days after some chili with Pure Cap in it.
I would be in the ER like Al after a DIY project :eek:

Dr. Phil
02-28-2002, 09:10 AM

I would be in the ER like Al after a DIY project :eek:
:lmao:
If you mention his name I'm sure you'll get the frequent patient discount:D Or if that fails, I'll send you and Access card number;)

alee
02-28-2002, 09:11 AM
Yep, I have Pure Cap and something else that's not suspended in vegetable oil.

Dr. Phil
02-28-2002, 09:13 AM

Yep, I have Pure Cap and something else that's not suspended in vegetable oil.
I would guess that your intestinal track is probably just as clean as the coupe:eeps: Sorry but wanted to share that thought with you before lunch and as I depart to enter Comcast hell:D

alee
02-28-2002, 09:14 AM

You wimp...check out the link I just posted...that one says capsaicin :yikes:
One's derived from the other... I see no difference... they're all too hot to touch, too hot to eat straight, and burn for days coming out. :eek: :D

Mike 325xi
02-28-2002, 09:16 AM

One's derived from the other... I see no difference... they're all too hot to touch, too hot to eat straight, and burn for days coming out. :eek: :D
I would have to buy Charmin with aloe!!! :tsk:

alee
02-28-2002, 09:17 AM

I would guess that your intestinal track is probably just as clean as the coupe:eeps: Sorry but wanted to share that thought with you before lunch and as I depart to enter Comcast hell:D
Be sure to ask them where my HDTV signal is. :mad: I've been asking for 3 months now. Nobody really knows except the person that wrote the press release.

alee
02-28-2002, 09:19 AM

How about Charmin with yogurt.

Dr. Phil
02-28-2002, 09:21 AM

Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh:D

Mike 325xi
02-28-2002, 09:22 AM

How about Charmin with yogurt.
Good idea...but it might cause a yeast infection :yikes: :yikes: :D

Mike 325xi
02-28-2002, 09:23 AM

Be sure to ask them where my HDTV signal is. :mad: I've been asking for 3 months now. Nobody really knows except the person that wrote the press release.
:p :p HA HA :p I have the HDTV signal :thumb:

Too bad I don't have an HDTV TV :( :cry:

Dr. Phil
02-28-2002, 09:24 AM

Here's there standard answer for everything.................

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: .........................

:mad: They called me the other day about my non-stereo reception of HBO and asked if I had the digital box set up for stereo:rolleyes: I had to again eplain to them that all non premium comes through in stereo,yadda yadda..... Then they ask if my surround sound is hooked up correctly....duh, they just don't get it. Must only have managers employed:confused:

Mike 325xi
02-28-2002, 09:26 AM

Must only have managers employed:confused:
Hey now!! No self respecting manager would ever get on the phone with a customer :mad:

Dr. Phil
02-28-2002, 09:28 AM

Hey now!! No self respecting manager would ever get on the phone with a customer :mad:
I should have known that since I'm "a manager" as well.:) Could someone please let me know what I'm supposed to be managing:dunno:

alee
02-28-2002, 09:29 AM

:p :p HA HA :p I have the HDTV signal :thumb:

I have I told you lately that YOU SUCK? :mad:

The problem is my Comcast area office (Plymouth Meeting) is probably the worst one.

At this point, I don't even really want the HDTV signal anymore... I just want them to admit to me that the signal is there.

I think they want to charge something outrageous, so it's a losing proposition for me.

alee
02-28-2002, 09:31 AM

It took a legal threat before I got a Comcast manager on the phone. Now I have his direct extension, and letters from people in the office asking me to discontinue any legal actions. :D

Mike 325xi
02-28-2002, 11:20 AM

I have I told you lately that YOU SUCK? :mad:

LOL!!! :lmao:

It took forever before the "town fathers" would allow them to install fiber optic lines but now that they finally have, everything is here...

How bad will they rape you for the HDTV turn on?

alee
02-28-2002, 11:30 AM
How bad will they rape you for the HDTV turn on?
A minimum requirement of digital cable HD-200 equipment rental and HDTV fee, which I think adds up to another 60/mo, in addition to the 40/mo I pay now.

Mike 325xi
02-28-2002, 11:47 AM

A minimum requirement of digital cable HD-200 equipment rental and HDTV fee, which I think adds up to another 60/mo, in addition to the 40/mo I pay now.
I already pay about $60 a month plus another $30 for cable net access...so if I do get an HDTV set it will start to really get expensive :(

Magna
02-28-2002, 12:05 PM
i was all excited that my thread/question generated so many responses, but as i am reading the thread has turned into a home theatre thread. :cry: oh well all's not lost, i am interested in home theatre too. :D

Mike 325xi
02-28-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Magna
i was all excited that my thread/question generated so many responses, but as i am reading the thread has turned into a home theatre thread. :cry: oh well all's not lost, i am interested in home theatre too. :D
Your thread was hijacked...sorry :dunno: :lmao: