PDA

View Full Version : '83 320i battery light stays on while keys out of ignition.

jhowe1
08-14-2008, 11:57 AM
'83 320i battery light stays on while keys out of ignition.

-had a reman bosch alternator just put in a month ago.

-had the battery checked and it checked good.

any suggestions???

PBC///2.7
08-14-2008, 01:17 PM
look at your alternator...( like all the hook-ups)

jhowe1
08-16-2008, 01:18 AM
alternator wires are good.
Noticed sometimes just the clock stays on also...

PBC///2.7
08-28-2008, 09:33 AM
it sound like to me that there maybe a grounding thing going on there....

Lanc3r
08-28-2008, 09:37 AM
Sounds like bad ignition switch. Power should be all off with key removed.

jhowe1
08-28-2008, 09:57 AM
i forgot this was posted... i found a couple wires about 8 inches off of the alternator shorting out on each other.
thanks everyone for the input!

PBC///2.7
09-10-2008, 08:03 PM
^^^^like I said too you....nice too see you fixed it now....hwhehehewewe

rgmrgm
10-29-2008, 06:00 PM
I am having this problem with a 1987 325i . with the engine off and key removed the battery light stays on. i cannot find a short in the wires. i removed the small wire from the alternator (field wire?) and the light goes out. I shorted the loose wire to ground and the light did not go on. does this mean i have an internal short in the alternator. everything works ok when the engine is running

jhowe1
10-30-2008, 12:55 AM
sounds like your alternator is pulling power from your battery. i learned a little bit about this stuff from my previous adventures with my '83 320i. if i remember correctly it is the voltage regulator pulling power (maybe a short in itself)
i think it is def worth a shot...
especially if you have checked your wires off the alternator. like mine.
also, after i fixed my wires, the clock stayed on at all times for about an hour or so... never figured that out but it never returned.

also the post before you this person: PBC///2.7
also has an e30.... they def steered me the right way.

PBC///2.7
11-01-2008, 09:10 PM
I am having this problem with a 1987 325i . with the engine off and key removed the battery light stays on. i cannot find a short in the wires. i removed the small wire from the alternator (field wire?) and the light goes out. I shorted the loose wire to ground and the light did not go on. does this mean i have an internal short in the alternator. everything works ok when the engine is running

take your "alternator" to a place to have it tested it,if it passes then check your wires that come your battery....if is still doing this...you may have to replace wires that come off your "alternator then....Oh yes how old is your battery and alernator by the way???

mannysd
10-15-2014, 12:50 AM
the reason why when you turn off your engine and your battery light remains on its pretty simple actually. A new alternator and battery replacement should be done correctly step by step or you will have electrical problems.

Heres the solotution:
on the back of your new alternator, for E21 models from 79-83. Theres two connections for a special little wire. it connects just like a usb port or the same way you will connect your cell phone charger. All you need to do its unplug your battery for safety. Now on the back of your new alternator, unplug the special cable/wire and plug it on the other connection available thats available on the back of your new alternator. Both connections are next to each other.
Remember! this little cable can only be plug into two separate spots. Once you basically switch it to the other option AND after you hook up your battery cables, your car should be ok.
You will notice that the battery light inside the dashboard is now off. The reason why this happens its simply bc the person who installed the alternator, either you or the mechanic didnt plugged the cables back in the right order.