PDA

View Full Version : So why did everyone leave Bimmer.org again?

SilverBmw
12-26-2001, 01:38 AM
Was it beacuse of TD? Or was it the format?

-SilverBmw

JPinTO
12-26-2001, 04:11 AM
Flakey board software over there.

This board format is awesome.

Alex Baumann
12-26-2001, 04:37 AM
we didn't, .org left us. The board was crashing everday. vBulletin is a good package.

Alex

jw
12-26-2001, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by SilverBmw
Was it beacuse of TD? Or was it the format?

-SilverBmw

It was the format.

bimmerguy
12-26-2001, 07:07 AM
Could never find even my own old posts.
I have almost wished to have bought a audi instead so I could go to audiworld. Now those are some great boards. Excellent search eng. etc.

bimmerfest is a great idea at the perfect time.

Thanks Jon Clem etc!

Alex Baumann
12-26-2001, 07:13 AM
Horrible search engine ? Which engine? I don't even remember when I used it the last time.

Alex

bimmerguy
12-26-2001, 07:30 AM
nt

Imola Ed
12-26-2001, 10:01 AM
... lame s/w, being banned from posting from home to due what seems to be random IP blocking, and the fact that half their links to search/archives, etc. were wrong. I knew exactly how to fix them, but they were broken for so long I could tell noone cared, so that was enough for me.

vBullletin is nice. I've also seen Ikonboard (and experimented with setting it up on my machine here for fun) and some others that are really nice (and mysteriously similar).

Much nicer here :)

LilEccentricJ
12-26-2001, 10:25 AM
There are many reasons many of have left .org but not BECAUSE of TD, for he only had the balls to risk being banned there to speak out about certain things and remind the rest of us that we actually had OTHER options, of which we have partaken. My.02

Flee67
12-26-2001, 03:57 PM
Actually I left .org over 6 months ago and went to DTMPower's E46 forum and the Fanatics board...I just happened to stumble into this board one day (@ the same time that most of the roadfly regulars defected)...so far, this has been a great board and hopefully it will remain so:cool:

Jason 325i Step
12-26-2001, 04:11 PM
I wish there were more posts being made on this board. This board needs more advertising.

TD
12-26-2001, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Jason 325i Step
I wish there were more posts being made on this board. This board needs more advertising.

I couldn't disagree more (surprised?). I cannot think of anyone from the Org that I'd like to have over here who hasn't already come over (or at least joined). And we're all better off without thousands of clueless newbies. There will be plenty of those here in due course.

For now, enjoy the banter and exchange of knowledge without all of the annoying clutter.

Flee67
12-26-2001, 04:37 PM
Usually, the larger a board gets, the more traffic and "useless" posts it receives...this is a trend that has affected all of the BMW boards as they've grown. This board has a nice flavor to it right now; it has now become my #2 board -- after DTMPower's E46 forum -- yes, I don't think you could get two more divergent boards....but I enjoy both as well as Fanatics on occasion :D

Dr. Phil
12-26-2001, 04:56 PM
Although I'm one of the due course newbies (educated and smart enough not to make flamable comments), this board and the lack of stupid http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/constrector/waglleybooty.gif stuff make this a better place to interact.

Speaking of clutter, you may want to tone down that signature Jason. ;)

bimmerguy
12-26-2001, 05:20 PM
I agree, the signal to noise ratio here is just about perfect :)

Come on in, the waters fine....

sjs
12-26-2001, 07:08 PM
I mostly was a lurker over there, belong to stangnet which has a board pretty close to this one and spent most of the time there (trying to sell my stang after getting my new ride) I could never figure out just how the whole site worked entirely but I knew how to use this one as soon as I saw it. I have been posting about BMW for seven months and had my car for five but until two days ago no one had ever seen my car ( couldn't figure out how to put a picture on that old site!)

Jason 325i Step
12-26-2001, 09:04 PM
I left because TD left. Okay so many not the EXACT reason but darn close :D

CH_325xiT
12-27-2001, 12:02 AM
I was mainly just reading posts (posted a few times) on the other board, but it did crash way too often. vBulliten seems very solid so far.

Well done John and Clem:)

bol
12-27-2001, 12:03 AM
I never left...

jw
12-27-2001, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by bol
I never left...

Did you dump your 330? Planning on a new one someday?

planet
12-27-2001, 07:14 AM
I left the org not only because of the crappy software, but because of the irresponsible admin behavior. People banned, posts deleted, censorship -- it was at turns foolish, frivolous, and nigh unto dictatorial. I'm nearly certain that the admins over there believed that since there was no popular bimmer alternative, people would just suck it up. E46fanatics isn't completely my taste, so I'm glad to see this board giving at least the bimmer.org/E46 folks a choice.

The only thing I'd like this place to have is a more complex board structure, but I think that will be a natural outgrowth of traffic. Far too many boards are launched with a complex set of boards without the readership to support it. Better to start where we have, and grow into specific areas later. I wonder if they'll divide things up by car generation or in some other way? Buy/sell, Modifications, News, whatever. It should be interesting to see.

chalkem77
12-27-2001, 12:39 PM
with the way that software was set up, you would have to scroll past all that junk to get to the useful posts. here, at least you can just skip the topics that don't interest you without having to see every reply.

also, jon and clem seem more "human" to me. the moderators of that other board seemed to just step in to regulate and lay down the law without having much interest in contributing content. at least, that's what i saw...

i do appreciate the efforts put forth by ANY of the people who set up these numerous bmw boards because they don't have to do it... at the same time, it's up to me which board i choose to frequent and which ones i choose to post on. and so far, i like the way this board is developing...:D :) :D :)

The HACK
12-27-2001, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by bol
I never left...

I'm with bol. I'm still reading and posting there, except not as frequent.

Spiderm0n
12-27-2001, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by chalkem77
jon and clem seem more "human" to me. the moderators of that other board seemed to just step in to regulate and lay down the law without having much interest in contributing content. at least, that's what i saw...

Indeed! Clem is great. He has helped me out more then once in my short time here. On bimmer.org, the best I get is a form letter, and that is after waiting WEEKS for a response.

hts
12-28-2001, 11:17 AM
:p

Emission
12-28-2001, 11:21 AM
1. The board was slow.
2. I kept getting banned.
3. It was hard to follow threads.

AF
12-28-2001, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Emission
1. The board was slow.
2. I kept getting banned.

I heard you got banned to excessive sales of digital Camera's . . . is that true ??

Emission
12-28-2001, 12:36 PM
Yes, stolen cameras!

Ha ha ha.

- Really, I don't know why I kept getting banned. For some reason, my IP was just cut out. No more a concern these days.

___lk___
12-28-2001, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Emission

yeah, unlike now with all the 6-inch signatures spamming every thread, like yours.

Emission
12-28-2001, 01:32 PM
Gone.

I tend to agree about these huge signatures! It was the newness, but now it is getting old. Even mine bothered me!

In any case, I am sure they will peter out after people get tired of scrolling down just to read ONE post!

silroc
12-28-2001, 01:37 PM
I left 2 years ago

Too many flamers, whiners, and grumpy old men !!

and the software sucked too

:)

ashecnc
12-28-2001, 02:05 PM
I tried to get one of the cameras from Emission, sad they were all gone :(

SilverBmw
12-28-2001, 05:42 PM
Anyone think Charlie or Alan are reading this? Maybe there too busy fixing bugs........:)

-SilverBmw

neyra
12-28-2001, 10:36 PM
search been down for months!!!

Imola Ed
12-28-2001, 11:39 PM
... the bloody URL is wrong. You can massage it to make it work :mad:

MAK
12-29-2001, 07:55 AM
I still read the "other" board, just not as often. I do enjoy the layout of this board; the stability of the board, and the helpful tips and information that is contained in the many posts from "veterans and newbies" alike.
Mike