PDA

View Full Version : Low Cost HP / Chip explanation

Jo Body
08-27-2008, 09:53 AM
I'm about to buy a mugello red 1995 m3 with 5speed all stock with 110k miles on it for 12000 Can$
I don't want to make it a race car but I want to extract more horse power of it.
I look on site/forum and I'm really confused about chip.
My modification will be an exhaust/3.5'' maf/Cold air intake and I also want to put a chip in it.
I want to install them in one shot except for the exhaust because the stock unit is not in good shape so I will do this first.
Do I need a special chip because of the 3.5'' maf?
What is the difference between red/silver labeled chip??
What is the difference between 413/506 chip???
Why does the month of fabrication of my 1995 m3 is so important????

Please help me a I'm confuse

Jo Body

Bruce
08-27-2008, 10:02 AM
Do I need a special chip because of the 3.5'' maf?

yes

What is the difference between red/silver labeled chip??

EWS

What is the difference between 413/506 chip???

hmmm...3.0 vs 3.2? I forget.

Why does the month of fabrication of my 1995 m3 is so important????

EWS...started with 1/95 production.

Jo Body
08-27-2008, 02:32 PM
Somebody told me that the chip that are before 1995/01 were 506 and those that were produced after 1995/01 were 413... So who's telling the truth?

Bruce
08-27-2008, 05:00 PM
http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=81201&highlight=506

Pinecone
08-27-2008, 06:17 PM
The different chip numbers are for different computers. Like buying PC versus Mac software. And the year and month of porduction tells which computer you have.

The chip has to be matched to the performance mods. Or else, you will not get the full performance. And certain mods require the proper chip to work 93.5" MAF) and others work much better with the proper chip (24 lb injectors). So if you do mods in pieces, you may have to buy a couple of different chips. But at least with the 95 the chips can be sold to someone else to user in their 95 M3.

Ryan M
08-27-2008, 06:19 PM
The different chip numbers are for different computers. Like buying PC versus Mac software. And the year and month of porduction tells which computer you have.

The chip has to be matched to the performance mods. Or else, you will not get the full performance. And certain mods require the proper chip to work 93.5" MAF) and others work much better with the proper chip (24 lb injectors). So if you do mods in pieces, you may have to buy a couple of different chips. But at least with the 95 the chips can be sold to someone else to user in their 95 M3.

Wow that's huge:yikes::p

Jo Body
08-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Ok thank you for the link... now it is a bit clearer in my head but I got some other question now.

If I understand correctly I can modify my car with a EWS-II chip as long as all modifications are still EWS-II , and I need a chip to disable EWS-II when the modifications I do are not EWS-II compatible?

If I understand correctly to choose the right chip I have to know the year of my M3 to get the right numbered chip and the modification I perform (I also need to know if there EWS-II compatible)

Do I need a special chip for every modification? I mean I would like to do some exhaust/headers/cold air intake modification before upgrade the euro MAF 3.5'' and chip. Would it be possible for me to do this and just optimize my HP gain by the fact I'll have a chip? Will I need to consider these modifications ( CAI/Exaust/Headers ) in my choice of chip? Or those are base modification and it won't change anything.

I know I'm asking a lot of question but I really want to make shure about where I'm going if I start to modify this car...

Thank you guys

Bruce
08-29-2008, 05:28 AM
Ok thank you for the link... now it is a bit clearer in my head but I got some other question now.

If I understand correctly I can modify my car with a EWS-II chip as long as all modifications are still EWS-II , and I need a chip to disable EWS-II when the modifications I do are not EWS-II compatible?

EWS lets the car run or not run. Mods are not EWS compatible. EWS is just there or not there.....the chip either has it or it does not.

If I understand correctly to choose the right chip I have to know the year of my M3 to get the right numbered chip and the modification I perform (I also need to know if there EWS-II compatible)

Do I need a special chip for every modification? I mean I would like to do some exhaust/headers/cold air intake modification before upgrade the euro MAF 3.5'' and chip. Would it be possible for me to do this and just optimize my HP gain by the fact I'll have a chip? Will I need to consider these modifications ( CAI/Exaust/Headers ) in my choice of chip? Or those are base modification and it won't change anything.

It is HIGHLY adviseable to have a chip that takes into account all mods. It is better to have a custom chip made, but you need to find somebody in your area that can do it.

Jo Body
09-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Ok now it's clear for the chip explanation and now I want to talk about HP gain for the lowest cost possible... please keep in mind that price that I will talk are always those from EBAY :p I love EBAY... once that said I found right there that a compatible ''no knock off china scrap'' chip would cost about 100$ and a 3.5'' MAF would cost about the same. I was also looking at cheap headers and strut bars (even if these don't add HP) that cost something like 125$ for the headers and 50$ for the strut bars. I know a Cold Air Intake is a must... 250$ or 350$ for a 1st quality one and a Cat-Back low restriction exhaust is recommandable to so it is another 350$.

I would like to have about 300 HP at the flywheel instead of 240HP and I think this setup would be close to that number...

I would like to have your comments about my setup/hp gain/prices anything usefull will be apreciate

Bruce
09-02-2008, 05:14 PM
You get what you pay for. You want to put $1k in parts on a motor that would cost at least 5x that to rebuild it?

I would never ever never never never never use a chip from Ebay. Did I mention never?

Pinecone
09-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Conforti, Conforti, Conforti.

All you need to know in chips. :)

Jo Body
09-03-2008, 04:29 AM
As you said there is a lot of copy on internet and Conforti was in my choice for a cold air intake and for the chip but the cost is there...
What about the stainless headers and strut bars? Should I really buy from a good brand? A headers isn't just an exhaust tube? Does it will change anything in hp gain/durability/sound??

If anybody bought parts like that I would like to have your comments please...
Thank you guys for your comments there very usefull I want to modify it the right way and $2.5k in modification don't seem to be to much

CAMDINANS3
09-03-2008, 07:05 AM
good luck with 300hp at the flywheel being N/A with those mods hahahahah YEAH OK

Jo Body
09-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Hey tabarnak chuis pas icic pour faire rire de moi criss de cave!!!
I'm not here to be laughing at me asshole... If you don't have anything constructive to say don't say anything... I'm new in BMW world and that was a question... I'm looking for real info... anayway

e30e
09-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Hey tabarnak chuis pas icic pour faire rire de moi criss de cave!!!
I'm not here to be laughing at me asshole... If you don't have anything constructive to say don't say anything... I'm new in BMW world and that was a question... I'm looking for real info... anayway

Using the "SEARCH" button on the top right and "G-O-O-L-E" might help, get 300 hp out of "simple" bolt-on's on s52 is not going to happen.

Jo Body
09-03-2008, 08:25 PM
In this case the question is: What HP gain can I expect from simple bolt-on modification like those I mentionned before?

Is there a way to tune a s50 to get 300hp out of it without turbocharging/supercharging it??
At what price?
What would be the best valuable modification in term of HP gain/price?

I know the compression ration for this engine is 10.5:1
Can I increase it a bit?
Is the valve clearance enough to do this?

Bruce
09-04-2008, 05:09 AM
In this case the question is: What HP gain can I expect from simple bolt-on modification like those I mentionned before?

Is there a way to tune a s50 to get 300hp out of it without turbocharging/supercharging it??
At what price?
What would be the best valuable modification in term of HP gain/price?

I know the compression ration for this engine is 10.5:1
Can I increase it a bit?
Is the valve clearance enough to do this?

Dunno, the guys tuning these motors use the S52, not the S50. Typical mods are: intake, MAF, S50 manifold (but you already have that), cams, chip, and exhaust. Done right, you can get 300 crank HP.

Price? $3k+ depending on how much labot you do yourself

best bang for buck? cams, but you really need to do everything to get the most of your mods

can you increase compression ratio? yeah if you change the pistons, but there you are talking $$ for parts and labor. But the value proposition isn't there b/c you will most likely need a custom tune and will need to run race gas. Not even going into the decrease in engine life as a result. Plus the S5x motors are not having good luck with head gaskets.

Jo Body
09-04-2008, 09:43 AM
My god Bruce you semm to be a real library of info.. thank you, it's nice to speak with somebody who has a good background... I know I'M not the first person who wants to modify his m3 it why I'm here... again thank you!

I've always been think that race gas was for higher compression ratio than this...
I read somewhere that the new m3 was equiped with a V8 was running 12.0:1 in compression ratio...

Can you explain me this??

What is your car/data sheet/cost per modification??

Bruce
09-04-2008, 10:09 AM
My god Bruce you semm to be a real library of info.. thank you, it's nice to speak with somebody who has a good background... I know I'M not the first person who wants to modify his m3 it why I'm here... again thank you!

I've always been think that race gas was for higher compression ratio than this...
I read somewhere that the new m3 was equiped with a V8 was running 12.0:1 in compression ratio...

Can you explain me this??

It probably is, but it also has 15 years newer technology and computing power. It also has infinitely variable valve timing that can affect dynamic compression ratio.

Stock compression ratio on an E36 M3 is like 10.5:1? I forget. When you bump comression ratio up you risk predetonation (think diesel) that will absolutely tear apart a motor. The newer cars have better anti-knock sensing features and can dial back timing with bad gas or whatever.

Unfortunately BMWs aren't like American motors where a few inexpensive bolts on can give you 100hp. Just not gonna happen on a BMW.

I will admit I am partial to leaving motors stock if they are street driven cars.

What is your car/data sheet/cost per modification??

Huh?

Jo Body
09-04-2008, 08:05 PM
Yes, if the web site where I read contains ''good info'' it's what they said for the 1995 us specs and for what I understand the compression didn't change when they upgraded with the 3.2.

I know predetonation was a problem when increasing the compression but the euro specs m3 1995 has 10.8:1 and the later years has 11.3:1 ... I thought that I could increase it a bit before running race gas/hit valves with pistons...

I understand that bmw are not musclecar (doesn't mean less HP) using big bloc to make their HP. Bmw is using technology such as individual throttle body ( unfortunately not in my car :()
To compare my brother has a mustang 5.0 gt 1987 which have 235 HP when stock (now has a roller engine with 6900 RPM red line and other modz(wonderful machine beleive me)
I believe this car is probably over 300HP and there was not a lot of modification performed on it.I know bmw pushed the limits hard on the ''small 3.0L inline 6 cylinder'' to make 286 HP...

Now I know if I don't super/turbo charge my car I won't lead him :rolleyes: ... But it's ok... I will drive a nice powerful sporty coupe with a wonderful sound even with everithing stock... it's why I consider leave it stock acording to you but I'm to addict of performance to forget spending 1.500$ on performance accessory :D