PDA

View Full Version : 1995 - 525it - steering shimmy

dopple
08-30-2008, 07:20 PM
108,000 miles alot around town.

Just had a shop put in control arms that I bought on the net (lemforder) with bushings.

Today we put new Michelin MXV4 Primacy tires on the car and I notice even more shimmy than before the new tires were installed.

It happens as low as 30 miles per hour and seems to be initiated by a bump on one of the front tires.

If I got under there could I look for some worn bushings on some part. I am a little weak on suspension component identification but do not find chugging my behind under the fine auto to seek out the problem.

My name is Kevin and I approve this message.

bojangles
08-30-2008, 11:07 PM
Bushings were not installed as per factory instructions..i.e final torque under load. so they must have torn after the first couple of miles. Next time get Powerflex bushes.

CarDriver
08-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Some tires drift with uneven pavement (Some more than others) and there is the possibility that they were not balanced correctly. And keep in mind that a wider tire will make any front end problem more prominent. My sedan seemed fine over the winter with 225 / 60s but as soon as I went to the 235 / 45s... Well, thats when I discovered that my control arms were shot.

So just make sure you read the signs right and catch whatever it is right away. Front end trouble be it tires or what ever are most often a domino effect.

chemo64
08-31-2008, 02:32 AM
I'm having a similar problem. Tires re-balanced and I didn't find any problems with the control arm or bushings. I get the shimmy promptly at 100kph - 110kph, then its gone.
I'm going back in today and have another look. If I discover the source, I'll chime back in so you can see if this is your problem as well.
Bob

dopple
08-31-2008, 09:23 AM
Bojangles has me worried here. These guys are not beemer pros that did the work and I bet he is right. I will take it to another shop that wants my business and they can check it out or I suppose if the crack is prominent I could find it but I have to get to the problem.

The front end domino effect has me concerned.

If most cars have the arms torqued on the lift then I bet they overlooked that point.

bherde
08-31-2008, 06:24 PM
Just got mine back from the shop for the same issue. Shimmy was a violent shake by the time my girl decided to mention it to me. I thought it was rotors and wasted $$ on a brake job that could have waited a few more thousand. Then took it to a long time BMW geek and identified problem in a minute. They did not look bad to me, but I have been a Jeepaholic for too long. (It's a Jeep thing....) Also concur about adjusting under load. Just put it on ramps or drop front tires into a couple of old rims.

CarDriver
08-31-2008, 10:57 PM
Bojangles has me worried here. These guys are not beemer pros that did the work and I bet he is right. I will take it to another shop that wants my business and they can check it out or I suppose if the crack is prominent I could find it but I have to get to the problem.

The front end domino effect has me concerned.

If most cars have the arms torqued on the lift then I bet they overlooked that point.

Good Idea. Get it checked out. And no I am no Bimmer pro But I do all the mechanical work on my car myself. Just got done with the compleate suspension on my Sedan (Stage three) a couple of months ago. Next I will be eliminating the SLS on the touring and going full sport with it.

dopple
08-31-2008, 11:08 PM
I have been thinking about this all day so I jacked up the car and gave it the wiggle test on the tires and I may have just a tiny bit of play on the right tire but it is really minor. I think most shimmy action starts when right side tire hits a bump as I remember.

I checked all the bushings and saw nothing obvious but how would you spot a serious problem or a moderate serious problem anyway, you cant see much of these bushings. They sway arm bushings look like cake to replace. I suppose I learned a little about the underside of the car tonight.

I may go under there again tomorrow because when I get that little 1/16" wiggle out of the right (passenger) side wheel I can feel the linkage move I think so my play could be further down the line of forces than right at the wheel. I want to wiggle it from underneath and look at the same time.

I almost lean to taking to the dealer-stealer to get the real lowdown on the problem but I am sure they will want at least an hour shop time and a $100 for the job.

This post was long but I am really not sorry about it. Thanks to all.

bimmer dot info
09-02-2008, 08:12 AM
The sway bar bushings can be a bit of a pain to get back into place. A bit of lube helps (as does cleaning the rust of the inside of the brackets). The play in the wheel is probably due to the tie rods, idler or drag link. Loose steering components do not usually cause the problem. Damage to the thrust arm bushings is typically not apparent but the shake at 55-65 mph is basically proof that they have failed.

dopple
09-22-2008, 09:32 PM
Took into shop as I could not find problem. Guy sounded good but I have a bill for 41 bucks each for strut dust boots that run 1.25 on the net. Struts at 122.69 each and sway bar end links for 54.45 ea that cost 15 or so on the net. Labor was 361.

I am going to question parts for sure. 361 for struts and links is fair I suppose, I dunno.

Is there some law that we always have to take it in the rear on part with these guys.

bimmer dot info
09-23-2008, 08:12 AM
Not a written one. They usually over charge for parts and labor and then explain by saying they have high overhead.

Philbesley
09-26-2008, 04:41 AM
Some problems with steering vibration with cars wit after market wheels are caused because a spacer (shim) needs to be fitted between the frount hubs and the and the inside of the wheel thease come in ali of plastic and are about 2mm thick.

thease can be left out by un suspecting local guys when the wheels are ballanced / wheels changed

Only know this i I made the mastake forund the ring pushe back into the center of the wheel.

dopple
09-26-2008, 02:37 PM
Thanks, my discount tire tires are being recalled for a faulty valve stem and I will have them take a look at that when I take it in.

attack eagle
09-27-2008, 12:04 AM
Ihad some with the same thing... i have not gone in because I can't recall which car and what tires it would have been on... my 18" spare that isn;t on the car anymore? wife's car, mine? which set of tires on mine? I've had two sets in the last year etc.

Car driver: leave the sls alone unless and until it blows. easy enough to change the ride height with the SLS... if it ain't broke... don't fix it. if I could get good rear SLS struts, I'd probably plug mine back in.

dopple
09-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Do not know about ride height. Mechanic said struts were bad and sure enough all is better now and much better ride. I was wrong about dust boot, he put in some kit that had dust boot and bumper and I saw a bumper for the strut at about 12 bucks so with markup this was not such a bad deal. I think I have a decent mechanic now. He will even let me bring my own parts if I would like.

Some things are beyond my grasp and although it costs more the car is in better shape now.