PDA

View Full Version : Keyless Entry System for 95' 520i

chemo64
08-31-2008, 02:27 AM
I had included this question in a list of questions earlier, but didn't get an answer. Thought I'd try them individually...

Does anyone know how to install a factory keyless entry system? What are the steps/pitfalls? :dunno:

The old buy that bought mine orginally didn't order the option. (and no AC - typical German, and Auto Trans - un-typical German!)

Thanks,
Bob

attack eagle
08-31-2008, 05:00 AM
pitfall one:
finding a working brain with the sensors and led in the console plate
AND THE WIRING HARNESS THST GOES FROM THE PREWIRE PLUG BY THE BATTERY TO THE BRAIN.

TO many people think prewire means ALL the wiring is already in there... it isn't.

pitfall 2: are you prewired?

pitfall 3: name brand aftermarket works better and does a better job of protecting the vehicle contents

pitfall 4: doesn't doublelock as default.

I sold mine a good while back, for cheap, because I didn't care enough about it to buy a new remote. I haven't seen anyone else sell a complete 'complete' unit since.

chemo64
08-31-2008, 05:55 AM
pitfall one:
finding a working brain with the sensors and led in the console plate
AND THE WIRING HARNESS THST GOES FROM THE PREWIRE PLUG BY THE BATTERY TO THE BRAIN.

TO many people think prewire means ALL the wiring is already in there... it isn't.

pitfall 2: are you prewired?

pitfall 3: name brand aftermarket works better and does a better job of protecting the vehicle contents

pitfall 4: doesn't doublelock as default.

I sold mine a good while back, for cheap, because I didn't care enough about it to buy a new remote. I haven't seen anyone else sell a complete 'complete' unit since.

Thank you AE. Exactly the kind of info I am looking for. I'll dig into the brain and check for the pre-wiring, but I suspect it won't be there since this option wasn't selected originally.

attack eagle
08-31-2008, 03:27 PM
look in the trunk. PRewire optioned cars have little plastic cirles that say prewired for BMW alarm, cd changer, telephone as appropriate.

chemo64
09-02-2008, 10:10 AM
look in the trunk. PRewire optioned cars have little plastic cirles that say prewired for BMW alarm, cd changer, telephone as appropriate.

No dice in the trunk. This is a Euro-spec car, do you think this might make a difference? The trunk is lined with carpet (everywhere except the top), should I be looking behind or under these panels?

attack eagle
09-03-2008, 12:04 AM
they were on the right side in the vertical carpet.

No logo probably means no prewire.
not surprising when 520s generally don;t even have the check control display/obc dash display.

chemo64
09-03-2008, 11:27 AM
they were on the right side in the vertical carpet.

No logo probably means no prewire.
not surprising when 520s generally don;t even have the check control display/obc dash display.

Yup. You were right. Nothing there behind the carpet aside from the jack. Looks like I'm stuck using the key. What a lazy jerk I am...