Anybody ever swapped our their seats?

What other seats fit in an e34?

2winbmw
09-05-2008, 08:21 PM
E39 not bolt in possible, use E32 seats, fits 100%

http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/bmw/bmw-5-series-e34/8738639-9.html

Ohmess
09-06-2008, 05:26 AM
Do any of the seats from the three series fit? I'm thinking the e46 was a fair bit bigger than the e36. Maybe the e46 seats fit?

Also were there two colors of tan used in the e34? If so, how can I tell for sure which one is in my son's car?

bimmer dot info
09-08-2008, 07:44 AM
Many of the seats will physically fit but not all of the rails will just bolt it. If you can make adapters you can put almost anything in.

CarDriver
09-08-2008, 11:33 AM
+1 to bimmer.

With a Sawzall, grinder and welder you can put any seat into just about any car as long as there is the physical space to fit them in. Also, depending on the seats, (seat frame dimensions) you can swap the upholstery on your existing seats from the seats you want to install. This eliminates the need for wire harness work that would need to be done if the electrical is different and you will be using the existing frame so of course they would fit.

Ohmess
09-08-2008, 12:35 PM
I was thinking bolt in. My welding skills are quite rusty.

EyeDoc1
09-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Yes, I got a drivers side seat from a similar year 7 series and cobbled the parts together. I found out that the trim from a 7 series wasn't exactly like the 5 series, but the 5 series trim fit the 7 series seat rails easily. The seat I had was a leather one, and I took my cloth seats and stretched them over the cushions without too much difficulty. Took a couple of hours to do it, and I purchased a set of instructions off of some guy on eBay who makes a living repairing the infamous E34 twisted seatback problem. Forget a 3 series seat...look for a 7 series one and get to work.

Regards,

Christen

DryBones
09-08-2008, 07:52 PM
EyeDoc1

So with that seat thing do you know how to fix it cause it happened to my seat then it worked now its broken again, Thanks

bimmer dot info
09-09-2008, 07:07 AM
There are plenty of very good free instructions for the seat twist problem online.

DryBones, Did you do the seat twist fix only to have it fail?

DryBones
09-09-2008, 12:55 PM
no just one day it worked. The guy who was working on my car said it just worked. then one day i was hanging out in my car in the pass seat and it stuck like half way back.

bimmer dot info
09-10-2008, 06:55 AM
http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/i/miales/seatcablesfix.htm

EyeDoc1
09-10-2008, 01:43 PM
The seat fix is just gonna be time consuming, getting the seat out for starters. I think you can do pretty well with a good set of standard tools, but the one thing I did not have, and had to buy, was a small Torx socket to remove the seat (bought a set from Sears-I think the set cost about 20 bucks and they weren' the Craftsman brand [but how often do you use then]). Otherwise, have a good work bench and a clean place to disassemble. I think someone (the post in front of me) gave you a reference on doing the seat. I bought the instructions from eBay (for seat removal) about two years ago on seat tear down and they worked very well. Be happy to send them along if you want. Don't think it violates any specific copyright issues. BTW, when you finish this job, you'll think you're and expert at seat repair!!!

Regards,

C.