PDA

View Full Version : transmission fluid?

jbimmer95
09-07-2008, 07:15 AM
i what to replace transmission fluid on my 95 -525i with no dip stick on tranny can i use dextron lll fluid?:dunno:

chemo64
09-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Man this is one touchy subject. I've read several threads on this same discussion. General consensus says yes DEX-III of DEX-6 are the right choice.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279750 - or -
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494219&page=12

Good luck!

Rodrick Msuya
09-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Your right dudethis this issue is very confusing to many guys. I have the some problem with car 95 525i and wanted to do a fluid change and got really confused with the threads that I found on the net.
Up to now I have not done it still sceptical about it.

attack eagle
09-27-2008, 04:18 PM
castrol 'domestic' is the factory recommended fluid. this is 'dextron III' but the name is no longer used (guessing it expired)

it is also used in the m50 5 speed manuals.

stacey08
09-28-2008, 10:01 PM
hi there i think my kar needs transmission fluid too but my kars a 1989 525i. can you lyk help me if possible this site is sooo confussing to use:) lol....

attack eagle
09-28-2008, 11:25 PM
sure, can you read? or is your reading comprehension as abhorrent as your spelling?

If you can, hry reading. `kay, thx, byebye, mmmkay>

bimmer_guy323i
09-28-2008, 11:59 PM
hi im a bmw tech from bahamas ur to use fac recommende fulids for trans like valveonlin or get from dealer

stacey08
09-29-2008, 04:05 PM
b

EyeDoc1
09-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Dear Stacy

Eagle's not gay. Attack Eagle is probably the F-15E he flies on weekends. TxtSpeech is just a foreign language to most people, unless you grew up with it. It's like mixing German with English. Just not used to it. You'll get a lot of help here on the forums, so ask away. I've gotten tons of help with my rig. What makes you think you need fluid? Problems? Leak in the driveway? I was surprised to find my 91 525i had no dipstick and no way to check it. I called the dealer and he explained it to me...so there...you learn something new each day. Just a tip...give complete info on your car...Make, Model, Year, drivetrain (auto or manual). Lots of people here love to help. Stick with navigating the posting...takes us older models a bit of time to learn this particular language...and I'm still learning.

Regards,

Christen

attack eagle
09-29-2008, 07:17 PM
OH I just refuse to help lazy people.
lazy being those who don't work, and those who cna;t bother to spell out simple words...
lazy being those who can 'read' a simple post, and then IMMEDIATELY ASK THE EXACT SAME QUESTION A SECOND TIME
and especially those who are too dumb and lazy to even spell a word they are using to seem 'hip', like 'CIAO' correctly.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b106/AttackEagle/savethevowels.gif

If I;m an old man in your mind, based upon:
my use of the english language,
requirement that you write like an adult and not an 8 yearold girl on a cell phone,
requirement that you show some initiative before I will help you,

then you must be: 12, female, and on your second period.

I have seen people who did not speak a word of english, post a more intelligible sentence than the above, using only Babelfish to translate from their native tongue.

I am glad you are here Stacey08

Keeps your ignorant and annoying self off the other boards.

Oh and when I text, I text in complete sentences and words, with proper grammar and punctuation. Just like I post.

It is a Sign of laziness and disrespect to use 'txtlk ne? but on phn w/cls frnds. sve 4 ur bff jill.'

I suggest you buy or download the bentley, read it, type questions properly, showing initiative, and respect for others...
and then I'll be happy to discuss egs, where to find swz/bl, atc, tcs, a-rtabs,maf, afm, irs, ifs, cya, cia, pebkac,CC, obc, lkm,
and many other exciting and lovely bmw abbreviations with you.

Then perhaps, just perhaps, you car will wind up smack dab in the middle of a page of a magazine like Performance BMW, or in a calendar instead of under a collander...

I used this for translation...
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b106/AttackEagle/ghetto.png
perhaps they have English for Dummies you can use to translate your posts to the rest of us?

supertech777
09-29-2008, 09:07 PM
That last post was way too cool ATTACK EAGLE .... I think I can feel the heat....

stacey08
09-30-2008, 01:29 AM
b

chemo64
09-30-2008, 03:12 AM
omg! calm down! fuk you if you think my language is "disrespectful" or "inconsiderate" to you old folk. but all i was really trying to do is get some help from a group of people who have all had previous bmw experience. fuk you that you turned such a helpful and inviting site into a way of throwing nasty and rude comments at people just because they dont share the luxury of having all the time in the world to write absolutly every detail in full! you have idea what my life is like and whats going on and no thirty year old asshole is ever going to get me down because of his gay opinions he has on my life im no catholic freak tho im told ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE ME and thats the way i live!

i dnt giv a sht wat u thnk or hw funi u thnk u r.i cnt evn belv a old guy like u is having such a petty argument with sum1 hus much younga then himslf... cum on take a chil pil n grow up!

hey look sorry for the bad start i didnt join this site to make enemies just wanted to get advice no offence but i cant be bothered with haters ( that means mean people) so yeh

BYE

Amazing. That is quite possibly the dumbest post I've read this month. Misplaced anger, patent fad clichés, arrogance, ignorance, and plain old stupidity; it runs the gambit of dumb.
It HAS to be satire.

attack eagle
09-30-2008, 05:16 AM
no stacey, you f'd yourself.

You come seeking handouts and get pissed when i ask you to wash up and set the table first.

http://es.geocities.com/inmaterium/Soup_nazi.bmp

stacey08
09-30-2008, 02:14 PM
b

chemo64
09-30-2008, 03:08 PM
haha u old peps r fukt... i wunda if im makn use angri lol.... u must relly be getting into ths lil argument were havn here aye?? people quoting my comments and pasting up kul as pics !you guys rock! i love you all peace and prosperity to each and everyone of yous im sick of fighting with people i dont even know so cya!

Well, so long sonny. Can't sez that I'll miss ya. Cuz I won't.

(Did you see what I did there? I intentionally misspelled words to look cool. Now I'm cool.)

rdc
09-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Ok perhaps some real help here. :) I currently use Castrol Dexron VI in my 95 525i trany. It has been in the car for about 15,000 miles. Works fine. Make sure you change the filter. My local BMW indy used compressed air to blow out the trany cooler to remove as much fluid as possible.

Most recent previous fill was Mobil 1 Dexron III synthetic. Not the multi purpose fluid they sell now. I change fluid and filter about every 30,000 miles. Hope this is useful. BTW, I agree with Attack Eagle.

CDE
10-01-2008, 01:48 PM
This is a pretty entertaining thread!

I can't believe people type like that. Sorry Stacey, but your posts are as annoying to read as the attitude embedded into them. I don't mean any disrespect to anyone, but to read your posts takes longer because it is not proper English.

Be cool, stay in school. :thumbup:

Anyways, just wanted to thank people for the info. I will be doing a complete fluid flush on my car and will use the recommendations for brake fluid in the thread.

You usually can't go wrong with most Castrol and Mobile1 products!

fucntone
10-09-2008, 09:58 PM
WOW!!!! this thread should have not even gone this far... you guys wanna agrue get married... sorry i meant "want to". "Attack" you are better than that, n stac so r u... lets just use this forum for what its really here for... PLEASE!!!

NOW! i also have a tranny problem, i changed the fluid and filter but i didn't completely drain the system, and they didn't have DEX III the guy at autozone said i could use that MERC/DEX crap and my 1989 525I automatic still doesn't shift, well it would every now and then when I started the car, but after the change the fluid it just does nothing idle in gear. i tried going thru all the gears and nothing still happened. What's my problem?

attack eagle
10-09-2008, 11:57 PM
filter is clogged full of sludge dislodged by the new detergent, or you didn't fill it fully.

89's have dipsticks, right? what is the level like in neutral and running?

Hranj
10-18-2008, 06:00 PM
The owners manual for my 1995 525i says that Dextron II should be used, or a substitute of that. Is this what I should be using in my car? Should I be using something "better?" My car has been leaking fluid and I'm working on trying to find the leak, but until it is located and fixed, I'll need to keep putting fluid in there.

rdc
10-18-2008, 06:12 PM
The owners manual for my 1995 525i says that Dextron II should be used, or a substitute of that. Is this what I should be using in my car? Should I be using something "better?" My car has been leaking fluid and I'm working on trying to find the leak, but until it is located and fixed, I'll need to keep putting fluid in there.

Dexron II was superseded by Dexron III and now Dexron VI. I use Castrol Dexron VI in my 95 with only positive results. Go to an Autozone, Advance Auto or the like and examine ATF containers and see what is recommended. Then choose what to use.

BTW, I assume you have no dipstick like mine, so how are you planning to keep reflling the trany the car needs to up on a lift or jack stands (level and warm) to check and/or fill.

Hranj
10-18-2008, 08:00 PM
Its not going to be the most accurate fill, but it needs fluid no matter what I do. Basically I just put fluid in it. I'm rather slim so I can get under the car with a squeeze bottle and get it in there. But next Thursday/Friday I'm going to my friend's shop and we are going to get it on the lift and try to find out where it's leaking fluid from. After the leak is located, I'll worry about properly filling the transmission with the appropriate fluid.