PDA

View Full Version : Rough iddle, What could it be?

kashmirbeige525
09-07-2008, 01:48 PM
I've been noticing a rough iddle after cold start. Not sure what it could be so if you guys can give me sugestions on what to do and I'll write back what happens. BTW, I do let the car warm up for 30-50s every time.

bimmer dot info
09-08-2008, 08:59 AM
It could be quite a few things. Idle control, weak ignition, leaky injector, oil leak. Got any more info for us? Unless there are other symptoms I'd start with plugs and possibly coil boots and work from there.
Most people do not recomend the warm up. Just take if easy when you start driving cold. Keep the RPMs on the low side and do not subject the engine to heavy load. Also dont flog it untill the temp gauge has indicated it is warm for a few min. It takes a little longer for the oil to warm up than it does for the coolant.

RocknRoll
09-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Check this out, it might help

http://www.bmwe34.net/Wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Hunting+Idle

kashmirbeige525
09-08-2008, 02:39 PM
It has a small oil leak from the engine and tranny mount gasket. I dont drive anything remotely fast all day long. I think maybe the oil is thiker than needed right now. My intake box is cracked but I doubt that might be it. I'll see about the plugs after I get some time, schools a *****.