PDA

View Full Version : ordered my replacement motor

oldskulwagon
09-09-2008, 11:00 AM
will be arriving early next week. Do you guys who have done engine swaps give some tips and what to watch out for.
M50 with vanos auto tranny.
Thanks in advance for any help. Excited to get the touring running. :bigpimp:

bimmer dot info
09-10-2008, 07:47 AM
Mark everything or take pictures. Make sure it is all disconnected before you take it out and as you take it out make sure again.

Are you just replacing the engine? Is the trans in the car or out?

yaofeng
09-10-2008, 08:42 AM
If you have an engine lift, get the drive train out in one piece.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/yaofengchen/BMW_95_525i/DSC_1771.jpg

oldskulwagon
09-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Mark everything or take pictures. Make sure it is all disconnected before you take it out and as you take it out make sure again.

Are you just replacing the engine? Is the trans in the car or out?

Just the engine. That is what we did when we replaced my bro's engine. Had to take out the manifold as there is no room to take out tranny bolts. Is there more stuff for the vanos system?

If you have an engine lift, get the drive train out in one piece.

Yaofeng, unbolt driveshaft, take out tranny crossmemberso we can pull tranny with the engine? Exhaust not in the way? Thanks

yaofeng
09-10-2008, 11:43 AM
I hate to be under the car lying on my back getting the transmission out and installing. It is more work taking the drive train out. At least I am standing most of the time. The complete exhaust comes off. Lower the front sway bar and cross member.

oldskulwagon
09-10-2008, 12:01 PM
I hate to be under the car lying on my back getting the transmission out and installing. It is more work taking the drive train out. At least I am standing most of the time. The complete exhaust comes off. Lower the front sway bar and cross member.

Thanks for the tips. :thumbup: