PDA

View Full Version : '93 525i I'm considering: Thoughts?

Stinger
09-10-2008, 04:00 AM
First of all, thanks to everyone on this board. I've been brushing up on E34s for a couple months now and am still looking for a good example. I'm mainly just looking for a good, fun winter car that I could enjoy driving while I keep my 335i convertible out of the Michigan winter. I know I should be looking for a SUV or something more practical but I love BMWs and feel a BMW with snow tires works well for me (have done it for over a decade now with various 3-series.)

So, I'm looking at 525i '93-'95 models. I came across one last night online and want some feedback. I'm going to look at it today or tomorrow but wonder if the owner is asking a fair price provided the car is in good mechanical condition (say it needs less than $1000 to be perfect today.) I'll of course have my mechanic look at it but wondered if the starting asking price is too high and what you guys might pay for this example.

Asking price: $4,600

Mileage: 186,000

Manual Transmission

Description: Selling my 1993 BMW 525i 5 speed, Black on Black, 18" Rims off a Newer BMW 745i, Newer Rubber this year, Stock Wheels Come with the car as well for winter time, Power Windows, Locks, Moonroof, Mirrors, Heated Seats-Heated Mirrors, A/C Blows ICE COLD!!!!! 35% Tinted Windows, Shadowline Window Trim, All Red Tailights, No Tears in the black leather interior... Very Clean, Smoked Turn Signals, Projector Headlights with 6,000K True High Intensity Discharge Headlight Setup, Projector Fog Lights, Cruise Control, Climate Control a One owner car from Pennsylvania.... Still have the original Window Sticker From when it was bought brand new in 1993!!! New Brakes and Pads, NEW CD Player, Fresh Tune-Up, No Oil Leaks, New 3:23 LSD Rear End, I wouldnt hesitate to drive this car to California and back today! Drove it to and from Chicago almost every weekend since last year and never had a problem!!!! 23mpg city/ 33mpg hwy. $4695

It blue books at $3000 in Excellent condition but without all the "extras." So, is the markup for the extras reasonable or from what you all know about pricing would $4,000 be a maximum price you'd pay. That's what I'm thinking.

CarDriver
09-10-2008, 05:43 AM
Sounds nice and looks nice, but I would still try to get it for 4,000 max? If the seller holds out he may very well get 4,500 for it though. Offer him 3500 and see what he says, then haggle your way up to 4K. It just might work.

bimmer dot info
09-10-2008, 07:07 AM
I'd try for about 4k too. Cash talks. Be ready with the money and he might be more flexable with the price.

Stinger
09-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the thoughts. I'm off to see it tomorrow at lunch.

cdakcc
09-10-2008, 10:16 PM
I bought my 93 525i for 1225.00 on ebay 2 weeks ago. !77K miles on it with brand new Michelin tires. The only thing wrong is the dash info, and I am putting thrust arms on this weekend. It has no running issues, a/c works great. Just thought I would let you know, do not be afraid of Ebay, you can test drive most cars during the auction and have it independently inspected. There are a lot of great Bimmers on ebay for sale for under $4K including & series. I have even seen an 8 series go for around 6K.

CloudNine
09-11-2008, 07:48 AM
Can you post the URL for the 93 525i you bought two weeks ago on eBay?

By the way, I doubt the claim for 33 hwy mpg.

Stinger
09-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Oh I agree the 33mpg hwy is laughable.

zumir
09-11-2008, 07:41 PM
So, you saw it at lunch today? What did you think?

Stinger
09-11-2008, 08:01 PM
So, you saw it at lunch today? What did you think?

Didn't happen. Unfortunately my day at work got too busy. I should see it late tomorrow afternoon though. I'll post my thoughts. Hopefully, it will go well. I do like the car.

Viktor
09-11-2008, 10:08 PM
No repair/service history records? CarFax.com?

Stinger
09-12-2008, 10:15 AM
So, I went to see this "example" today. I was driving over thinking what was my maximum price. I settled on $4,300 (mainly because of the LSD and manual, two hard things to find together and assuming the car is in excellent/good condition.) I pull into the owner's work lot and I see the car. I get out, look around and first off see decent sized rust spots on every door. Then there is a bunch of rust along the trunk lid and some up around the hood, basically anything that opens up (doors, trunk, hood) all have a decent amount of rust. The guy comes out and opens up the car. The door trim is falling off on the passenger side and in back on the driver's side. Then he says, "I can't remember if I told you but the rear windows don't work. I popped the door trim off and the motor on 1 door was hanging down so maybe it just needs to be screwed in." I ask him, "so where is the motor is it still in the door?" His answer, "Yes." Then he removes a towel off the back seat and it shows one of the seat sections totally scorched by what he tells me was some battery acid that leaked and basically destroyed the seat, but he knows a guy who can get him replacement leather and he'll include that.

At this point, I can tell this car is just a disaster of neglect and basically a "project car". He can't produce any receipts even though he told me "oh yeah they should be in the glove box." If the visual things are this bad, I can't imagine how bad the mechanics are. So, I tell him, thanks but I have some better examples I'm looking at (2 other 525i though both automatics and both with lesser miles in the low $3k range.)

Off I go and personally I wouldn't of given this guy more than $1000, maybe $1500 for the car.

Oh well, the search continues for an E34 for me.

Viktor
09-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Yeah man, get a car with service/repair records... I think that makes all the difference. But that fella is crazy to ask for that much.

attack eagle
09-13-2008, 11:35 AM
I'd have offered him 1250 and taken the car just for the drivetrain, then parted it out once I got the mechanicals into a good Automatic car (much easier to find)

BTW & FYI: LSD was only available stock before ASC. ASC started in ?93? with the winter package. before that winter package had LSD along with heated leather seats.
IF that car had LSD it was a swapped diff. My guess it was Bull****.

Stinger
09-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the LSD/ASC history. The guy did tell me he added LSD, personally I think he's on it with that wishing price. Btw, nice touring!

Viktor
09-13-2008, 07:12 PM
The guy did tell me he added LSD

He drugged the car? No wonder its all outta wack! JK :rofl:

attack eagle
09-13-2008, 07:18 PM
I think he added LSD to himself... he had a rusted out trashed car and he is charging a premium price.

Nice rustfree 535 manuals with immaculate interiors sell for less than 3500, so you expected a perfect example of the e34 525, not a perfect example of a car destined for the scrappers.

ross1
09-19-2008, 06:41 PM
You have to kiss a lot of frogs.
Keep looking. This one sounded bad in the ad. The owner was preoccupied with fancy wheels, lights etc.
You want a winter E34? Send me a PM or e-mail.