PDA

View Full Version : Traction Control, necessary?

Stinger
09-10-2008, 08:17 PM
I am looking into 525i model years '93-'95 and noticed tonight that traction control was an option only on '94-'95 models. I plan on driving this car during the Michigan winters using a good set of high quality snow tires. My question is do you think traction control really makes a big difference if driving in snow/ice conditions? We really don't get it that bad since the roads are quickly plowed and I live in the city, meaning I don't deal with unplowed country roads.

Should I only consider a car with traction control?

Thanks for any thoughts.

CloudNine
09-11-2008, 07:37 AM
The answer is, it depends. Mainly on your traits as a driver. Traction control will not get you out of a ditch, however it might help you from overpowering the car into trouble on a slick surface. If you can get off of the power in time, and know how to handle a skid, then TC will not matter.

My question for you is, why do you want a 525 when a 535 gets the same mileage, with much better power? They are the same price anyway. The 535 is a few model years older, but there are nice examples available, many with manual transmission (even better performance).

bimmer dot info
09-11-2008, 07:53 AM
If it has an auto you can lock it into 2nd or 3rd off the line. Makes it really easy to drive in the snow. The e34 is a bit bad in the snow but with experiance and especially snow tires you should not be just fine.

Newer traction systems can help you get out of ditches and up slippery slopes. The one on the e34 will not.

Stinger
09-11-2008, 08:08 AM
The answer is, it depends. Mainly on your traits as a driver. Traction control will not get you out of a ditch, however it might help you from overpowering the car into trouble on a slick surface. If you can get off of the power in time, and know how to handle a skid, then TC will not matter.

My question for you is, why do you want a 525 when a 535 gets the same mileage, with much better power? They are the same price anyway. The 535 is a few model years older, but there are nice examples available, many with manual transmission (even better performance).

Thanks for your input. All good info.

Regarding the 535 vs. 525. I just haven't seen many 535s around. I'll keep looking though.

Lavalamp425
09-11-2008, 08:55 AM
If you can find an E34 with the limited slip differential option, that will help a lot in the snow. Otherwise, like others have said, the E34's traction control won't really help or hurt you much. Just getting used to the car would be the best thing.

A 535i gets worse mileage than a 525i. How much worse depends on your driving style. A 535i has significantly more power though.

rdc
09-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Mine has traction control. It really seems to help in snow and some in ice. Of course this compared to my old e-28 which would swap ends just by thinking about it.

For good snow driving you must have tires with good tread.

I have heard at least 6/32 for snow. Check with Tirerack on their test/studies.