PDA

View Full Version : I'm screwed.. Help please

taws34
09-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Okay, I have the Bentley, but haven't had time today to start trouble shooting, but I am going to stop in here. If the collective genius can answer a few idiotic questions of mine, it would be a FANTASTIC help.

I was driving on the interstate (55 to 60mph) and heard a loud thunk. Thought nothing of it, came from right front tire area, and thought I had just hit a lane dot (have heard very similar noise in the past).

Kept driving, about four miles later, and my car dinged at me, with a coolant temp warning! What with all of my being nice, and taking care of her.. she had some nerve.

I drove to a safe(r) area and pulled off. During the short time (maybe a mile), the temp maxed out. A cursory look showed nothing but smoke (it was 5:30 AM) billowing from everywhere in the engine bay, but appeared thicker on the drivers side.

After work, I didn't want to mess with it on the interstate, so had it towed back to my house. When we got it there, I was looking it over, and I see that the OIL cap popped off (which now explains my previous thunk), with some spray onto the hood liner.

Also, noticed that the radiator is now leaking, (or was before, but definitely not this bad).

So, I'm willing to bet that the head gasket has blown. What else would make the oil cap pop off?

And that I'm going to be investing in a new radiator. How is this for a beginner DIY to trouble shoot with a Bentley? How expensive am I looking for repairs?

Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

ross1
09-19-2008, 06:31 PM
Doesn't look good. Before spending any money on repairs do or have done a compression or better yet "leakdown" test performed.
If you cooked it badly enough the head may be junk as well a failed gasket. At that point you might want to consider starting over.
Good luck.
BTW, Letting the temp gauge max out may cost you dearly, as you know now things get worse fast when an engine overheats.

EyeDoc1
09-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Not sure I'd hit the panic button just yet, but...did you check the dipstick to see if you've got water mixed with the oil? It's usually the sign that the head gasket is blown. I'm a DIY'er, but head gasket is about as far as I'd go working in the driveway. Last one I did was on a '73 Pinto, so that should give you an idea of my expertise. Radiator is something else and it is doable with a Bentley manual and some TLC. Remember to bleed the system once the antifreeze is in...mondo important...but more importantly, I think the advice to compression check the motor is accurate. Best of luck and I hope you don't have to get a second mortgage to fix the unit.

Regards,

C.