PDA

View Full Version : '95 518i with M43 engine - Problems

PsyBeats
09-11-2008, 04:48 AM
Hello!

For the past 3 months my bmw has been off the road waiting for me to come back from overseas. When I decided I'd get it moving again, I discovered the battery was dead flat. So I had a friend of mine with a diesel to jump start it. The car purred happily for about 15minutes when i stupidly turned it off. Not having my diesel friend on hand, I had another friend jump me with his petrol a6, but not enough charge to start mine. Managed to get my diesel mate back and after much turning over, the car restarted.. but this time the engine seemed to be off balance, and blue-ish petrol smelling smoke coming out of the exhaust. I thought maybe it was just not firing all cyclinders properly, so I inspected the spark plugs and leads. Sure enough, 2 of the leads had actually decided to break. So I have since replaced the spark plugs and leads. Regardless, the problem still exists... I'm not sure what it is... Anyone?

bimmer dot info
09-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Which problem still exists? The poor running or the battery drain?

PsyBeats
09-12-2008, 02:23 AM
I replaced the battery with a newer tougher battery. Thats all good. Its the running rough as hell and belching out blue smoke thats got me worried.

bimmer dot info
09-12-2008, 08:10 AM
Have you driven it or did you just start and idle it?

CloudNine
09-12-2008, 01:47 PM
Did the plug wires break off? That is strange. Inspect all of the wires and find out why that is happening.

PsyBeats
09-17-2008, 08:05 AM
Yeh they did break off. Looking at the plugs closely it appears just like they're either original parts that have never been replaced or they are heat affected. The plastic around the plugs is very brittle.