PDA

View Full Version : Replaced bushings and arms a month ago, shimmy coming back

SeanC
09-13-2008, 03:59 PM
at exactly the speeds where you expect, i.e. 55-65mph. I replaced the arms with Lemfoerders and put M5 bushings.. It was gone initially, but seems like the shimmy is coming back gradually.

I am thinking of greasing the bushings so as to reduce some of the friction on them. Good or a bad idea?

Oh, the car is a '95 525it with close to 140K miles...:)

Stinger
09-13-2008, 05:58 PM
so what did this run you? Did you install or a shop? Just curious as I'm looking at a 525it with a liitle less miles and this seems like a common problem. Thanks for any info and sorry I can't answer your question.

SeanC
09-13-2008, 06:11 PM
so what did this run you? Did you install or a shop? Just curious as I'm looking at a 525it with a liitle less miles and this seems like a common problem. Thanks for any info and sorry I can't answer your question.

About $500 in parts, a friend did the most of the job, and he did in about 3 hours. Could be done in less or more time depending on how stuck your ball joints are, but a shop should not charge you more than 3 hours, or they don't know what they are doing.

bimmer dot info
09-16-2008, 07:41 AM
The grease will not help. The shimmy develops due to the bushing breaking down. Did you follow the procedure when tightening the bushings down?

SeanC
09-16-2008, 09:35 AM
The grease will not help. The shimmy develops due to the bushing breaking down. Did you follow the procedure when tightening the bushings down?

Yep, torqued under load :dunno: How difficult it'd be to replace the bushings only?

CarDriver
09-16-2008, 12:46 PM
Yep, torqued under load :dunno: How difficult it'd be to replace the bushings only?

Time wise, It will be more work just doing the busings than replacing the hole assembly (with pre-pressed bushings included) as you will need to press (or cut) the old bushings out and press the new ones in.

Cost wise, if you are doing it yourself it will be cheaper just replacing the bushings. If a mechanic is doing the work, it will cost more than replacing the entire assembly.