PDA

View Full Version : 540i Auto Trans Problem

jrfixit1
09-13-2008, 07:13 PM
I have A 94 540I with 179,000 on it. In great shape. Has an original Nikosil engine, always run on Mobil 1 and uses no oil between changes.
Recently the 5 speed auto trans was acting up. First start of the day, I put it in Reverse, it's OK; put it in Neutral and it still was in reverse; shift to Drive and give it gas and it held back like the park brake was applied. When this happened, I swiched to manual shift mode and it was OK.
Trans was never serviced, because I believed that it was lifetime fluid.
Took it to BMW dealer for an estimate. They recommended a new trans for $6000.00; I asked about a Trans Valve Body, because the trans shifted fine through the 5 gears. They said they could do that for $3,400.00, with no guarantee.
I declined both and requested that they remove the pan, replace the trans oil filter, re-service it, run it, Then drain again and refill it. After accomplishing that, the problem went away.
I had previously read on another Forum Post that a trans fluid change corrected some issues. Thanks.

yaofeng
09-13-2008, 07:29 PM
I sold the 5 speed slush box after the 6 speed conversion for only $100. Someone in Cleveland, Ohio is very happy right now.