PDA

View Full Version : E34 newbie, Wheel shopping time.... TSW/BEYERN/Style 32

Dalahasten
09-15-2008, 08:43 PM
Hey guys!

First post here, newbie E34 owner. I made an introductory post in the new member section about me and the car.

I am on the market to upgrade from the stock OE 15" wheels to something a little sharper and exciting. The current tires are just about done, so I may as well invest in a set of wheels and tires at the same time.

I have had my heart set on a set of BBS RC's.... hands down my favorite look for the E34, but I dont want to plus size to 18" diameter wheels, and I'd like to spend a little less.... the car is serving as a driver so it doesnt need to be too fancy.

That said, I have a few 17" wheel styles in mind.....

1. TSW Croft 17" x 8".... a STUNNING design imo., looks pretty close to RC's and CSL wheels. The spokes dish out from the center hub to the outer lip of the wheel... so theres no lip, but the visual effect of the dished spokes really makes these wheels look clean, meaty, and sharp They do have a wide flared interior lip which looks great on the 2-tone gunmetal/machined finished variant. They are pretty inexpensive as well.

2. Beyern Mesh 17" x 8".... Like the design quite a bit, BUT from the pictures I have seen the 17" variant of this wheel has a tiny thin lip.... I think I'd rather have wheels with flush spokes like the TSW Crofts over a tiny lip.... however, these wheels seem well made, should look relatively sharp, and are well priced.

3. BMW Style 32 wheels.... cant seem to find the specs for the 17" variant. I LOVE this wheel for their deep lip and Alpina like styling, but am unsure that the 17" versions will bolt up without spacers. From what I gather the 18" variant will... but I just dont want to go that large. 18" style 32's seem to be more common than the 17" versions.

With all of this in mind I have been hunting for pics of E34's sitting on any of the above wheels with minimal luck.....

The TSW Croft is a relatively new design, and there arent many photos of these wheels on BMW's... in fact the only I have seen are what look like TSW press/stock photos of them on a current 3 series... while they look amazing, they also look HUGE, like 20".... too big imo. If anybody is running these wheels on their E34, or know of any pics of older BMW's sitting on 17" or 18" Crofts, I'd love to see!

I'd also love to see pics of E34's on 17" Beyern Mesh wheels... found a few sitting on 18"'s.

As for the Style 32 wheels... if anybody can tell me if the 17" versions are a direct fit to the E34 please let me know.

Thanks!

SimonSEZe34
09-16-2008, 06:15 AM
Have a look at the post on the E34 forum ...pics from Thailand ...to get some ideas........

Sboerem
09-16-2008, 07:28 AM
Check out my garage I have beyern mesh 17*8 in silver on my 92 525i

CarDriver
09-16-2008, 07:34 AM
Keep in mind that most of the rims on the Thai post require fender rolling (Some of them require extreem fender rolling). But It will make ya drool! Krits5, lets start an internet E34 body kit web site and we can hook up folks over here with the kits from there.:beerchug: I would love to get ahold of one of the ground effects kits and make a mold from it. I could then make the kits here out of fiberglass.

:roundel:

BuckNaked
09-18-2008, 12:39 PM
style 32's are bored for the e39, so they are a direct bolt up for the e34 WITH a hub adapter.
18 inch are rather rare, since they were optioned for the 7-series, I don't think they were option for the fivers at the time.
I run 17 inch staggered:
17x8 et20 235x45x17 up front
17x9 et26 255x40x17 in back.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/setlock/SNKgGK9OjdI/AAAAAAAAAhA/rSF_FMt4zRM/s640/2007-09-02%20The%20River_0004.jpg

billygoat777
09-20-2008, 03:13 PM
+1 Style 32's work with a hubcentric ring, and they look really nice

CarDriver
09-20-2008, 07:07 PM
These are similar to the 32s. they have a nice lip and come in 18x8.5 front and 18x9.5 rear. they run about 225 each and many dealers have them. they are about half the price of the 32s so they will give you a similar look with half the coinage. :rolleyes:

Dalahasten
09-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks for all the info guys!

The style 32's look great on the cars posted above. Sounds like theres no way around spacers/rings... but I may opt for them anyways because they just look so great.

As mentioned above, the Beyern Multi wheels look very similar to 32's, but in order to get the wide lip look that the 32's have I'll have to run the 18" size... the 17" size just doesnt have the look I want since the lips are far more shallow.

I am still pretty open to the TSW Crofts... even though they dont have an outer lip at all, the 2-tone gun metal and machined aluminum finish really make the inner lip stand out and give the wheels that deep look that I like. Plus these wheels bolt right up without need for spacers.
They combine the styling of 2 of my favorite wheels into one, as they look like a CSL/BBS RC hybrid with 17" diameter sizing.

Any other wheels someone may want to suggest?

I found a place that offers E39 M5 replica wheels and they look great, and are competitively priced... only drawback I can see is quality.

I have also been looking around at 17" E60 wheels.... apparently they will bolt right up. Just need to find a style that I like.

The hunt continues.....

CarDriver
09-23-2008, 04:34 AM
IMO, 17 " is the best choice when going up in size. :thumbup: Good choice! This gives you more meat between the pot holes and the Expensive rims LOL... 18" is the max I would ever go...

What ever rims you choose, be mindful of the vendor. do a goggle search on the store name and red the reviews. You may also want to check the BBB. Just keep in mind that although you may find some negative feedback on a vendor, they can't please every one every time :dunno: