PDA

View Full Version : windshield wiper hits the hood

bigman
09-16-2008, 01:18 AM
hi guys
i have a BMW E34 535I 1990 and the wiper of the windshield is hitting the hood so the arm is getting eaten plus the hitting sound is annoying so please some help, appreciated.

thanks a lot

bimmer dot info
09-16-2008, 07:56 AM
Not much you can do about it.
There are some minor adjustments that you can make to the hood brackets by the fire wall. I've heard of a few people that bent the hood back up.

MeanM50
09-16-2008, 09:09 AM
Pretty common. Out of 4 E34's I have had, they ALL did this. I have never figured out how to remedy this.

Reyes(E34)
09-20-2008, 09:47 AM
I was havign the same problem on my 535i. Just fixed it yesterday. There are brackets that when you put the hood down and push i closed, the hood slides into them.http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t128/ReyBoy333/CIMG0486.jpgThere is a bolt on side closest to the windshield and you losen that and then pull up on the whole bracket. and do that to both side. Hope that helps you out.

attack eagle
09-20-2008, 02:16 PM
yeah or notch the wiper... or all three !!! :)

simmro
10-08-2008, 06:28 AM
Hi,
have this problem on my 95 520i an older guy a retired mechanic has a similar car and he told me its the wiper linkages that are worn but I've not got round to trying to fix it yet.

bimmer dot info
10-08-2008, 07:04 AM
I dont see any way that it could be the linkage.

simmro
10-09-2008, 02:34 AM
If it's not the linkage and it wasn't like that from new then the bonnet (hood) is damaged. do you think?

Damian Hayes
10-09-2008, 03:03 AM
It is due to a warn linkage. The spindle that the wiper arm fixes to runs in a two part bronze bush. That bush gets warn and allows he spring that pushes the wiper blade onto the screen to push the arm up instead. If you push the arm away from the bonnet, you should find it moves down easily. I have read about a fix where you remove the linkage from the car. Take it apart and remove the two part bush and turn the two halves around so the worn ends are in the middle, then refit.

I am planning to try and see if this can be done with the linkage in situ', with just the spindle pushed out of its guide, and a puller I will make to suite the bush size. But I've not got round to any of it yet. And to make things worse, I've now lost the original site I found the info on:tsk:
But I am sure someone on here must know of the site I saw this fix on?

bimmer dot info
10-09-2008, 07:34 AM
I havent seen the site or heard that explination before but it makes sense. I'll have to take a look at my car when I get a chance.

Jairo
10-23-2008, 07:48 PM
I noticed the smae problem on a 1005 525i I just purchaced. I fixed this by removing the nut that holds the wiper arm to the shaft, lifting the arm off the spline shft and otating the arm away from the hood about 2 to 4 degrees adn reinstalling the arm. teh wiper blade is up further intot he winshiled while at rest, but it is nto hight enough to obscure visibility. I made sure it did nto traveled too much when the blade is all the way up adn before starts to move downward.

I am not sure if this the the right way to fix this but is working fine and is no longer eating away a the arm