PDA

View Full Version : cooling fan?

TokienMan
09-16-2008, 08:00 AM
So i have a '99 M and ive been hearing about a mod where i take off my cooling fan and replace the thermostat and its not suppose to affect the temp ?? I live in Ga and was gonna see what you guys think about that?

Bruce
09-16-2008, 08:40 AM
People will replace the stock mechanical fan and repalce the thermostat with one that makes the aux fan come on earlier. Not sure it is worth the hassle for a street driven car.

Mr.///Matt
09-17-2008, 03:50 PM
its not a bad upgrade... i did it on my ///M3.. less stress on the motor Ive been hearing... plus you dont have to worry about cutting your fingers off.. lol

DBville
09-19-2008, 08:50 AM
I am convinced that this reduces the cooling capacity of the vehicle. Many people do this mod, but if you sit in Atlanta traffic on July days...you might have to turn off the AC to keep the car cool. Moving I doubt it makes a real difference in cooling. Yes, it will free up some HP. As others have said, for a street driven car, probably hardly notice it.

Mr.///Matt
09-19-2008, 02:23 PM
go here... very simple fix.... fan clutch delete and electric fan add... ....http://www.performancetransparts.com...ROD&ProdID=393 .... that is the external thermostat... all you need is a fan... 16in fan.

Mr.///Matt
09-19-2008, 02:24 PM
I am convinced that this reduces the cooling capacity of the vehicle. Many people do this mod, but if you sit in Atlanta traffic on July days...you might have to turn off the AC to keep the car cool. Moving I doubt it makes a real difference in cooling. Yes, it will free up some HP. As others have said, for a street driven car, probably hardly notice it.

you hardly notice... but in heat you'll notice:thumbup:....

TokienMan
09-19-2008, 05:06 PM
ya i was considering doing it and/or the M50 manifold conversion

TokienMan
09-19-2008, 06:15 PM
If I was gonna do the manifold conversion would i need the Euro 3.5 HFM? and i guess the adaptor too?