PDA

View Full Version : 535i engine swaps?

Dromlace
09-19-2008, 04:53 PM
My bimmer is running a little high on miles, 260k... I don't know if I am gonna keep it because it's not exactly popular with aftermarket parts. I was thinking a M3 swap or a different car.. and I know the M3 will cost more then 5k but I want some power AND part availability.

RocknRoll
09-22-2008, 11:41 AM
I have 266k on my 535i and by German standards it's just gone past half life.

CarDriver
09-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Mine has 230K and runs very strong. There are a few things you can do to increase power. One of the best $ for $ mods you can make is to put a performance chip in it. Look at http://www.bmwe34.net under Racing and/or upgrades. it will give you some ideas. You should be able to modify the performance nicely without the expense of an engine swap or buying a new car. The one you have is great. Then there is also Turbo or super charger if you are willing to invest the Coinage. these two options can give you HP in the 400 range.

You can also look at http://www.dinancars.com/ for performance parts to increase not only speed but the value of your car (speed yes, value alleged, depends on what you do to it).

RocknRoll
09-22-2008, 12:35 PM
You have the 3.5 engine in it, and like mine when it was brand new it had 209Hp. I can drive mine at 180Kph all day. So to me that's lots of Hp.
Looks like someone has just painted your car recently. Nice job!

KHANE530
09-27-2008, 03:29 PM
My bimmer is running a little high on miles, 260k... I don't know if I am gonna keep it because it's not exactly popular with aftermarket parts. I was thinking a M3 swap or a different car.. and I know the M3 will cost more then 5k but I want some power AND part availability.

From what i hear and know from the pros (here)you have the best of the E34's, you should keep the car. Parts? Never heard of hardships finding parts for bimmers. Live/work in New York, over the last 6 months i've seen two 2002's(think they came out in the '70's.
My '94 530 has 138,000 and i am keeping it (if i can get my wife out of it). I told her that the E39( I also owned ) is better but she will hear none of it. The only other E34 close is the 540