PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying 94 525iX

gusmoko
09-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Hi, I currently own 92 320i, I had it for 3 years now, no complains and I'm really happy with it. However, we're planning a family and now I think we need a slightly bigger car. A station wagon would be in mind. And there's happen to be 1 on sale, a 94 525iX.
What should I pay attention on when buying this model? I read somewhere else that it cost more to maintain than 2WD models. Is there anything special I should know about this model before buying it?

Thanks in advance.

bimmer dot info
09-23-2008, 08:10 AM
Costs more to maintain and gets worse mileage.
Check bmwe34.net for things that will break.

gusmoko
09-23-2008, 04:33 PM
Thanks. I'll have a look at the site.

Viktor
09-23-2008, 10:57 PM
Make sure there are maintenance records!!! And get a carfax!!

MeanM50
09-24-2008, 09:00 AM
First off, you are a bastard......no 'ix' in America.....:cry:

The 525i is pretty solid though. The motor is pretty low maintenance, everything is easy to work on, and parts a cheap.......

The extra cost of the AWD is worth it. The real pain in the ass here is a 'wagon' part......I think you guys call them 'estates' or 'tourings'.:dunno: But the tourings have some very particular issues that can cost more......but I still wouldn't think twice about it if the car is in nice shape.....

gusmoko
09-24-2008, 03:12 PM
First off, you are a bastard......no 'ix' in America.....:cry:

The extra cost of the AWD is worth it. The real pain in the ass here is a 'wagon' part......I think you guys call them 'estates' or 'tourings'.:dunno: But the tourings have some very particular issues that can cost more......but I still wouldn't think twice about it if the car is in nice shape.....

I'm not quite a bastart just yet.. not until I got the car ;)
You've got a really cool 525i by the way.
It is a touring one, and I'm looking for either this 525ix touring or 328i touring.
If someone can tell me how much more expensive the AWD type would be in term of cost, it would be great.
I read somewhere from this forum that the front strut or something cost way more since it's 'special' or something.

MeanM50
09-24-2008, 03:19 PM
I read somewhere from this forum that the front strut or something cost way more since it's 'special' or something.

That is the SLS rear suspension.....it levels itself under load.....pretty nifty, but problematic. So it's a touring thing....not an AWD thing. I don't think there are many issues with the AWD....keep the diffs in good shape and greased and everything should be ok.

Oh and thank you for the compliment.....it's not the fastest, but I love my car.

gusmoko
09-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Sweet as, thanks for the info.

MeanM50
09-24-2008, 05:35 PM
I'm not 100% certain of the info I posted, but I don't know of any 'ix' owners around here to consult......pretty sure the E34 ix uses the same AWD parts as the E30 325ix, and those are pretty bomb proof.....

Damian Hayes
10-09-2008, 03:36 AM
The ix is great! It feels much like an Audi Quattro to drive. The center and rear diffs lock when the car senses wheel spin. You can throw it into a bend and lift off and wait for the back end to break free, then just plant the throttle and feel the car snatch strait and just take off:) Try that with any other E34:rofl:

*Disclaimer*
Don't smash it up though!:p

The things to think about are:

The whole car is different to other E34s. From the Shell onwards so even some of the most random parts can be expensive and hard to get hold of.

I could not find front break disks anywhere but BMW and even they wanted a month to get them sent from Germany. They also cost 3 times more than the normal disks:thumbdwn:

The whole front suspension is completely different to any other E34 and is more like an E30/E36/E46 so any front end issues will need to be diagnosed differently.

The front shocks are shorter than a normal E34, or most other BMWs because the front drive shafts run where the Shock normally sits. The rears are also expensive if it is a tourer with the self leveling suspension.

I know there was more I wanted to say, but I've got my 2 year old trying to play with my lap top and I can't consentrate.:spank:

Jan525ix
01-25-2010, 07:28 AM
Hi, i'm new from Spain and i own the 525ix e34 model.
It is fantastic car, confort etc.... i think it needs like 30-50 hp more to do good balance with weight etc... also i dont like the Traccion control thing or slide control that it has, it dosent let you go out sliding with the rear, do you know if i can take that thing of??? also one more thing the gearbox is not that "racing" and fast.... but good car, only that slide thing is not nice