PDA

View Full Version : The "chip" - I don't get it

zumir
09-23-2008, 09:33 PM
Bavarian Auto Sports sells one, it says it makes the car faster, more horsepower, AND better gas mileage AND optimizes emissions. Uh, why wasn't it programmed this way to begin with?

TauronMaikar
09-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Bavarian Auto Sports sells one, it says it makes the car faster, more horsepower, AND better gas mileage AND optimizes emissions. Uh, why wasn't it programmed this way to begin with?

Because it is not cost effective to design another inline 6 in 3 years? :dunno:

Just sayin...

Brian McKinney
09-23-2008, 10:27 PM
to add to that, 91 octane wasnt available at every pump in 50 states in 1994 either which the "chip" must run on to get those exaxt gains due to the advancment in timing and ignition

Viktor
09-23-2008, 10:55 PM
So... what are the downsides to this 'chip'?

I am seriously considering!!

Brian McKinney
09-24-2008, 07:05 AM
downside is using premium unleaded all the time, since we have 93 octane here in AUstin, I blend every other tank 89 then 93. Chips usually make the ignition curve smoother, and it raises the RPM redline up a little. You will get better gas mileage at cruising speeds, so I guess it would pay for itself if you drive on the freeway often

CarDriver
09-24-2008, 07:20 AM
There are differing opinions about this but some recommend that the chip be removed and the stock one re-installed prior to a DMV emissions inspection. It is said by some that it may cause it to fail :dunno:

Not too sure of the validity of that claim but I can see where it could. BMWE34.net has some input on that I think. That aside , it is a very good investment with noticeable gains.

MeanM50
09-24-2008, 08:54 AM
I fly DEQ with no issues every time. My emissions are very low. Dinan chip BTW......

OP: There is no question.......other than having to pay for premium gas, there is no down side.......

The cars didn't come programmed like a chip because they have to produce cars for the whole world.....in some areas fuel quality or even climate could make a chipped car run VERY poorly...plus, as stated above......most pumps didn't get over 90 octane until 1994ish....

TauronMaikar
09-24-2008, 07:29 PM
I fly DEQ with no issues every time. My emissions are very low. Dinan chip BTW......

OP: There is no question.......other than having to pay for premium gas, there is no down side.......

The cars didn't come programmed like a chip because they have to produce cars for the whole world.....in some areas fuel quality or even climate could make a chipped car run VERY poorly...plus, as stated above......most pumps didn't get over 90 octane until 1994ish....

If I drop $40k+ on a car I will be damned if I care about the price of premium versus regular gasoline.

zumir
09-24-2008, 08:31 PM
Not sure if that comment is relevant to this discussion. I know I haven't dropped 40 grand on my e34, AT LEAST NOT YET!! Paid $1,300.

MeanM50
09-24-2008, 09:55 PM
If I drop $40k+ on a car I will be damned if I care about the price of premium versus regular gasoline.

One more time for you there Tauron....to quote myself: "as stated above......most pumps didn't get over 90 octane until 1994ish...." so it wasn't even available everywhere at the pumps. So see, it's not really a 'price of gas' issue.....it's more of a 'I can't find anyone that carries 91-93 octane' thing.

Cali Love (e34)
09-26-2008, 04:18 PM

you dropped 40k on an e34??? i might care about that...

Viktor
09-27-2008, 11:09 AM
you dropped 40k on an e34??? i might care about that...

When they first came out they were going for 40k.. and i agree... But I think he meant he'd go for premium regardless of price... of course then it averaged a buck or less. :p