PDA

View Full Version : Repairing cloth interior of '89 525i, and some of the exterior

m3unit07
09-24-2008, 02:09 AM
So I got my 525i from my dad, and he obviously gave it to me in crappy condition (interior wise). The entire cloth covering of the moon roof is coming off of the moonroof itself, and along with that, the center panel that houses the control switch for the moonroof has come off, exposing the motor and leaving the switch hanging. Any suggestions how to put all this back together? I can post pics if my description is not clear enough.

Along with that, the driver's side door was keyed, so any suggestions as to go about fixing that, without taking it to a shop.

much appreciated

-m3

CarDriver
09-24-2008, 06:59 AM
As for the switch panel for the Sunroof, a new one from the dealer is under 30 bucks if memory serves me. The head liner needs to be replaced. They can not be re-glued with any great success. I would trust that to an Automotive Interior shop.

Now for the fun part; The Key Scratch. If you search goggle you can find methods for repairing them, write ups and videos. Type in "How to repair a key scratch". Hear is a link that is helpful and you can find many others. This one is from Popular Mechanics.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/how_to/4216365.html

bimmer dot info
09-24-2008, 07:29 AM
Have someone look at the scratch. It might be repairable. If it is all you need is 3m finish restorer or rubbing compound and some polish.

Get a new cover for the motor (I think mine was well under 30). You can probably replace the sunroof headliner material yourself, the material is not expensive. You could also get a shop to do it.