PDA

View Full Version : 1995 540i Drivers seat

mikes95540i
09-25-2008, 06:28 AM
Ok, here's one for ya. My 540i drivers seat (with all power options) works like it should except for lowering it, the rite side, at its lowest setting will not lean back or slide back. It's as though somthing is restricting it's movement but I can't see anything under the seat or in the track. Does anybody have experience with this, or at least ideas???

bimmer dot info
09-25-2008, 08:55 AM
Seat cable twist. You will need to unbolt the seat to get to the cables.

mikes95540i
09-26-2008, 07:07 AM
Thank you, that sounds reasonable. As a 6'2" man getting that seat down and my head off the headliner is verry important, I got a haircut and that helped a little.
Mike

mikes95540i
10-07-2008, 07:26 AM
Thanks to all!!! I am very impressed with the people participating on this site, you are helping me and I appreciate it.
I followed the instructions on seat removal and cable adjustment and I now have room for my head, and my back feels better as well.
I have ordered everything I need to do a fluid change on my 540i auto trans. This car has 85K on it and I understand this should be done every 50K, it may be why I am hearing some noise, (sounds like a heat shield harmonic vibration). This noise sounds like it is coming from under the selector, I only hope it is not something terminal. I have read in several places that the pan bolts are soft and should be replaced when the pan is dropped, should they be replaced with the same stock bolts, or should I look for somthing stronger as a replacement?
I don't do a lot of posting because I'm a new BMW owner. I do spend a great deal of time reading everything I can find on my 95 540i M60 motor.
Thanks.