PDA

View Full Version : Replacement battery for 95 525i

unhygenix
09-27-2008, 07:02 AM
I am looking to replace my 525i battery. Is there a good battery you guys recommend?

Thanks in Advance

MeanM50
09-27-2008, 08:23 AM
Optima or Orbital......either one is a long life, deep cycle batt. They cost a little bit, but they last FOREVER......if they are too spendy, then I would just roll with an Interstate....that is who makes BMW's batts.

attack eagle
09-27-2008, 05:13 PM
interstate makes optima too. they are not nearly the battery that they once were 10 years ago when they were indy.
UNless you have a boat, a street rod, a 4x4, or some other need for a vent free battery in an odd place or extreme position stay away from them.

Johnson controls makes interstate, duralast, diehard, etc etc etc. Most batteries are actually made by Johnson controls.

the duralast 49DL (the other parts stores have their own version of it, titanum 49-1 at advanced auto parts for example) is one of the two largest batteries you can fit.
the other is the interstate mtp93. (megatron version) both are the same physical size but electrically 'bigger' than the OEM battery instead of 1/2 or 3/4 size. Think of it as installing another D cell instead of replacing one with an AA or AAA.

More a/h, more reserve capacity, and more CCA is great on newer bmws as they are very heavily electrical, and have enough current draw turned off to deep cycle small batteries (killing them after a couple of years) if not driven regularly (at least 1-2 times time per week). This is where the optimas and the other small batteries fall radically short. as I recall I have 1000 CA 850 CCA and 150 minutes reserve capacity.

I have been running a 49DL duralast for the last 2 years. I traded the po installed 48DL in (failed after roughly one year, PO didn't drive the car daily so it got deep cycled) and got it for free, but they are NOT expensive at all. used to be around $70. I left my parking lights on last night at a cruise in show for 3 hours straight, and had absolutely no problem starting the car. with an optima I would have expected to have problems after an hour or less.

rdc
09-28-2008, 04:35 AM
I have the Duralast. It has performed well. I even left keys in ignition with radio playing very low ALL night. Started next day with no problem. I was pleased!!

MeanM50
09-28-2008, 12:34 PM
I just like sealed batts.....

On a side note, John Wayland (an old customer of mine, and creator of one of the fastest electric cars in the world) ran a 12.3 on standard Orbitals...(not bad for an off the shelf batt)...11.8 on lead acid, and 11.4 on lithium ion packs.....sorry but I had to plug John....he has been working on that car for years and now he is officially the 'quickest street legal electric car in the world'.