PDA

View Full Version : My new (to me) Bimmer!

CDE
10-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Hello everyone,

Thought I'd join up on a bimmer forum now that I own one.

This is a complete score from a buddy of mine that imports cars from Japan to Canada. He got this car as part of a 5 car deal, and it was a hidden gem. I used to own a Nissan Skyline but because I don't have a parking space for her, and I need a more winter-able car (ski trips!) I decided to get this car. It is a Right hand drive (one of the first RHD bimmers I've seen from Japan actually - most are LHD...doesn't really matter to me though as my Skyline was also RHD).

The car: 1992 535i with auto trans (definitely going to miss the manual! at least there's a "sport mode" though), and every option including sunroof, dual climate control with A/C (that blows ice cold in a matter of seconds I might add!), and leather interior. It has only 40,000 miles (64000KM) and was kept in VERY good shape. The exterior has no blemishes that won't wax out, and the leather on the interior is spotless with no discoloration or tears of any kind. It is mint mint mint. It has the 3.5L I6 and I was actually impressed with the drivability of this car as I'm used to hot sport cars. It also has a few changes such as the M series rims, and an M series steering wheel.

All in all I'm very happy with my purchase as my friend sold it to me for $3500 CAD. Should make a very nice winter car, and daily driver as next year I will have a 400hp Skyline for fun driving on the weekends and track days.

Thanks for looking, and if you have any comments or questions, I love talkin cars so post away!!

Here are a few pics - I'll have some better ones soon as I really don't have many...It will look sexier once I murder with windows in tint and maybe a few other odds and ends! These don't do her much justice, but this is all I have at the moment.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff294/cdengel/Bimmer%20and%20IBC%20stuff/DSC00773.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff294/cdengel/Bimmer%20and%20IBC%20stuff/DSC00763.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff294/cdengel/Bimmer%20and%20IBC%20stuff/DSC00769.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff294/cdengel/Bimmer%20and%20IBC%20stuff/DSC00761.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff294/cdengel/Bimmer%20and%20IBC%20stuff/DSC00770.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff294/cdengel/Bimmer%20and%20IBC%20stuff/DSC00771.jpg

More to come once I get a chance to detail her :)

supertech777
10-01-2008, 04:01 PM
:thumbup: welcome , that is a cool set of wheels.This is a very good site. And the members
are very helpful ........:)

kashmirbeige525
10-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Very nice car there! Makes mine look like a polished turd. Especially the interior, LOVE the wheel :thumbup:

RocknRoll
10-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Nice to see the right hand drive version. Enjoy the Fest

nh4oh
10-06-2008, 01:09 AM
Boo! Those wheels are stupid, not cool, and they painted the grill trim!

bimmer dot info
10-06-2008, 08:53 AM
nh4oh I hope youa are joking. Those are forged M5 wheels (throwing stars). Basically the best factory wheel made for these cars.

CDE
10-15-2008, 01:55 PM
nh4oh I hope youa are joking. Those are forged M5 wheels (throwing stars). Basically the best factory wheel made for these cars.

Right you are sir! I hope he's joking too...I thought the rims were a special treat, along with the M series steering wheel.

Sorry for the delayed reply...I'm just finishing my university degree (7 years in the making...couldn't make up my mind! lol) so needless to say I've been busy!!

I finally sold my Nissan Skyline this week so I can finally spend more time on the bimmer.

I also checked the Grill trim Mr. nh4oh and it is not painted. However I may paint it to spruce it up a little. Everyone is entitled to their opinion...But this car is going to be slightly different than north american bimmers beacuse the Japanese cars had subtle differences.

But thank you for the kind comments.

I have been on MANY car forums. This is my first Bimmer, and primarily will be my "winter beater"! Even though I don't think it's a beater at all. I just got new stock 5 series rims with some good winters on them.

I'm going to be looking for a roof rack for my ski's and snowboards. If anyone has one for sale, let me know :) Just bars will do (bungies!), or an actual ski rack. I plan in making many trips to Mt Baker and Whistler this winter!!

After the winter driving, I plan on dropping the car a little closer to the throwing stars. Although, compared to my skyline which was rock hard, the bimmer's suspension is quite nice for long drives. The seats are also more comfortable which will be nice because I have an old shoulder injury which causes me a lot of back and neck pain.

Another thing I thought I would mention is how awesome the AC works on this car. It gets seriously cold in a minute or less, and if it's on for ~20 minutes, the big center vent on top of the dash starts chucking frost! lol...I thought it was some residual dust or something, but it was actually snowy stuff from it being so cold...this will be nice as it's only the second car I've owned with functioning AC! (I've owned 9 cars).

I'd like to add a little more sex appeal maybe towards the end of winter. Along with lowering the car, put on a full new exhaust system to free things up a little, as well as a few minor cosmetic things. Hopefully I can find some good resources for the parts I'll need on this site :) If anyone has some favourite online stores or something, please share!

Thanks again for looking! More pics next week once I detail the car....those pics SUCK and don't do justice to this cars condition for being 16 years old :D

Acschnitzer90
10-15-2008, 02:59 PM
wait its not a 90???

CDE
10-15-2008, 04:19 PM
The car: 1992 535i

;)

bimmer dot info
10-16-2008, 07:20 AM
Read around before you do the suspension. Some combinations can be kina harsh.
The factory exhaust was well designed. Unless you are going to do headers you will probably not see any real gains.

LouZ4
10-16-2008, 07:37 AM
Welcome. Nice car. Just remember, steer on the right but don't drive on the left.

CDE
10-19-2008, 12:49 AM
Read around before you do the suspension. Some combinations can be kina harsh.
The factory exhaust was well designed. Unless you are going to do headers you will probably not see any real gains.

Yeah, I would be pretty fussy if I were to drop her a little. For this type of car, I'm not looking for anything stiff. Something tasteful that won't degrade the ride quality. Exhausts...I wouldn't be looking for gains - moreso for a little sex appeal. Not sure if I'd do headers...depends what I can find. Not going to spend a TON of dough. I'm saving that for my bikes and track car :thumbup: