PDA

View Full Version : What are coil over shocks?

tripper
10-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Okay who might be able to help clarify something for me. I have 1989 525i, the car wears nice AC Schnitzer wheels. I do believe it has been lowered. The other day I suddenly noticed that the car bounces from the rear, that leads me to believe that the shocks are worn, So I take a look underneath and see Bilstein shocks with springs around them. The clarification that I seek is would those be considered to be coil over shocks? And if so would I need to replace the springs / coils or can I just replace the shock absorber. Now this morning I had a flat I had that taken care of at the local tire shop I asked them to look at the shocks as well and they advised me that it would cost me about $1200.00 dollars to have those replaced. Does that sound reasonable.

kashmirbeige525
10-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Depends if it includes both parts and labor. If so then maybe. For the shocks themselves it's a rip-off. You can get a set of "performance" springs and shocks from Dinan for the $1200.

CarDriver
10-03-2008, 07:54 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that many Coil-over kits come with the Shock mounts that are adjustable allowing you to adjust the Camber witch is helpful if you are using rims that are over the size that the car was made for and adjustable spring tension and ride hight. Thats one reason for the added expense.

here is an article that will explain the type of coil over you have and some other useful information that you will find helpful.

By the way, You have sleeve coil overs on your car.

http://*************.com/?Coilover-Suspensions---Pros-and-Cons&id=12461

bimmer dot info
10-03-2008, 08:12 AM
$1200 is not way out there but it does seem high.
It took me about 6 hours to do my shocks and springs (they were the first I had ever done). I did a friends about a week ago. Took a bit under 3 hours.
Ask for a written quote. It should give you an idea of how much they are trying to over charge you for parts and labor.

tripper
10-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Well thank you for your quick response. It turns out that they are not threaded coil over shocks but the sleeve type, based on the article I just read. So now I would now have to asume that there is a special shock to get ,that will seat the sleeve spring as that is removable. Now also I was just checking the car out and I bounced it quite vigorously and drove it home and the bounce as I drive feels greatly diminoushed. How would that be possible? Again I do thank you for your help with this problem.