PDA

View Full Version : ZF5HP30/24 Automatic controller

Bluefang12
10-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Hey guys, This might be sacrilege to some of you but i am pulling my 3speed slushy from my 1974 450SLC V8 Mercedes and replacing it most likely with a ZF5HP30 from a 540/740i due to the bolt patterns lining up almost perfectly(only one bolt out sort of thing). And the trans fits in the tunnel.

The question is, The automatic is electronically controlled so has anyone had any luck with any standalone system to run the Auto, i know of a company called "Powertrain Solutions" that produce a TCU controller for about $1000+, including shipping, that i can use. But i would prefer a simpler solution to Powertrain, and cheaper, the TCU costs a fair bit only because it can do so many different transmissions. Other aftermarked TCUs are around $4-500

My V8 is been controlled by a standalone system called Megasquirt II that i installed, So i have no problems wiring things up or programing basic systems

Bluefang12
10-07-2008, 05:35 AM
Bump,

So no one has tried to run their 5speed auto with a different TCU. Is it that easy for u guys to get it up dated with the required shift firmness and RPM u want?

CarDriver
10-07-2008, 08:55 AM
I would imagine that the reason you are not getting an answer is because your question is better suited for a Mercedes forum. Now if you asked if the Mercedes TCU would fit the E34... That would be a different story.

Bluefang12
10-07-2008, 02:43 PM
The transmission is from a BMW, it will not connect up to a Mercedes ECU because it will need specific inputs from the ECU that i wont be able to provide. There are aftermarket TCUs that can control the 5speed auto and that can by pass the error codes etc while providing the needed information to the Transmission on shift times. And all those settings will be adjustable.

So the aftermarked TCU is to do with the gear box rather then the specific cars, and this gearbox i am after is in a BMW, Hence me posting in a BMW forum asking people who will know alot more about the gearbox then me if they have heard of a Controller other then the Powertrain Solutions one.