PDA

View Full Version : newbie question about spark plugs

zumir
10-11-2008, 08:26 AM
Thinking of changing them. Is the amount of torque important when doing so? If so I guess that just means buying a torque wrench?

Patrick
10-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Good question.

I have a 2002 E39, and after 71,000km the spark plugs have never been changed. :eeps:

Apparently, I have to wait until 100,000km for this to happen. :confused:

bimmer dot info
10-11-2008, 09:36 AM
I'd buy a wrench. If you tighten them too much you could break them or strip the head. Too little and they might work loose.

Bluefang12
10-12-2008, 12:16 AM
Spark plugs generally are hand tighten then use a wrench to go a extra 3/4 turn if your worried about the thread. Torque wrench is kinda over kill, unless your changing them all the time and/or u dont get the spark plugs to thread in properly you would have to put alot of foce onto the sparks to cause dmg.

Just put them in by hand, they should go in all the way freely, then tighten with a wrench and you will be fine

CloudNine
10-13-2008, 08:29 AM
Put thread lock on and then use impact wrench. Or, do what Bluefang says. Your pick.

Tufast
10-26-2008, 05:56 AM
Spark plugs generally are hand tighten then use a wrench to go a extra 3/4 turn if your worried about the thread. Torque wrench is kinda over kill, unless your changing them all the time and/or u dont get the spark plugs to thread in properly you would have to put alot of foce onto the sparks to cause dmg.

Just put them in by hand, they should go in all the way freely, then tighten with a wrench and you will be fine

x2,but if you're not confident a torque wrench is not a bad tool to have lying around, you'll need it later. Just changed my plugs at 92K (good for 100K), but was replacing valve cover gaskets anyway.