PDA

View Full Version : Wet passenger footwell

fraz06
10-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Hey guys,

Got abit of an annoying problem with my e34, which is the front passenger footwell is soaked with water and its driving me mad, there is also lots of water under the footwell carpet as well and the bottom of the door strip is soaking wet aswell. Has anybody got any idea what is causing this and how to fix this annoying problem?

thanks guys

Fraser

EyeDoc1
10-12-2008, 10:35 PM
This may be a stretch, but my girlfriend had a similar problem with her Japanese car. We traced it to a leak in the sunroof, where the hose had pulled away from the push on nozzle that feeds water from the track down into the hose which drains thru the roof pillar.

I was lucky...was able to pull down a bit of the headliner from inside the car and wrap one of those nylon cable ties onto it and it now works great. Of course, if you don't have a sunroof, then all the above is probably useless, but hey, worth a shot.

Regards,

Christen

rockin1978ta
10-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Have you checked the coolant level? I know on american cars, the heater core is usually inside the interior of the car. I'm new to bmw's, so I'm not sure where the heater core is yet.

attack eagle
10-12-2008, 11:27 PM
heater core is possible but unlikely. it would smell to high heaven.

sunroof drain in the kick panel possible but rather unlikely, as they don;t drain to the outside anyway... they jsut drain into the rocker itself.

door full of water? could be door drains clogged.
could be a dislodged grommet under the dash/ cowl area too.

could be A/c drains are clogged also.

bimmer dot info
10-13-2008, 09:35 AM
Heater core leaks into the rear seats and under the car if the A/C drains work.

Lanc3r
10-13-2008, 09:41 AM
IS the glove box dry?

Ryan M
10-13-2008, 09:49 AM
It's either your sunroof drains or vapor barrier. Both of these problems plague the E39.

attack eagle
10-13-2008, 10:46 PM
vapor barriers are not to stop water from overflowing into the car. that is the job of the door drains.

EyeDoc1
10-13-2008, 10:55 PM
I'm still banking on the disconnect of the sunroof drain. IF they work properly, all's well, but...if they don't, the water could go anywhere, and that's where it slides down the path of least resistance, and can fill a footwell in short order. Worth a look-see.

Regards,

Christen

attack eagle
10-13-2008, 11:05 PM
you don't understand... STOCK THEY DON'T CONNECT TO ANYTHING IN THE FIRST PLACE. so how could disconnecting them make the kick panel and rockers fill with water?

they drain into the rockers. the rockers drain thru the unsealed pinchweld on the bottom of the rocker. no particular spot, just all along it.

could take a waterhose and run water down the drains.

Ryan M
10-13-2008, 11:08 PM

Ryan M
10-13-2008, 11:16 PM
vapor barriers are not to stop water from overflowing into the car. that is the job of the door drains.

Yes, but if the adhesive that goes between the vapor barrier and the door gets old and separates, then they can and will leak. I had to redo both rear doors on mine. Solved the problem.

attack eagle
10-13-2008, 11:22 PM
nope, sorry. they are not.You are mistaken.
You need to go fix/clean your door drains and window felts silly silly man.

you should be able to drive around with no door panels, no vapor barrier, etc and never get water build up in the doors.

That's like saying, my shower drain is clogged, but I just made the shower deeper by sealing the doors so it won't overflow during my shower... eventually it will go down.

BTW
e34s don't even have vapor barriers. MANY MANY cars never had vapor barriers... how did the water not magically fill the car every rainstorm?

The vapor barrier is for WATER VAPOR, ie water evaporating post rain/wash. and secondarily for water splash during roll up and roll down.

If you have that much water getitng into the door in your e39, you need new window felts/seals. Stop masking the problem and FIX it.

Ryan M
10-13-2008, 11:23 PM
nope, sorry. they are not.You are mistaken.
You need to go fix/clean your door drains silly silly man.

you should be able to drive around with no door panels, no vapor barrier, etc and never get water build up in the doors.

That's like saying, my shower drain is clogged, but I just made the shower deeper by sealing the doors so it won't overflow during my shower... eventually it will go down.

BTW
e34s don't even have vapor barriers.

The vapor barrier is for WATER VAPOR, ie water evaporating post rain/wash. and secondarily for water splash during roll up and roll down.

If you have that much water getitng into the door in your e39, you need new window felts/seals. Stop masking the problem and FIX it.

What do you expect from me? I'm a silly silly man.

:confused:

attack eagle
10-13-2008, 11:28 PM
that's really pretty bad though in all seriousness if the window seals are THAT bad in the e39... my e34 has the factory 17 year old seals, and only minor dampness at the bottom of the door after a car wash/all day in the rain.

Are all e39s that way?

I drove around for a few weeks with no door panels in place while refinishing my wood trim.

Ryan M
10-13-2008, 11:34 PM
that's really pretty bad though in all seriousness if the window seals are THAT bad in the e39... my e34 has the factory 17 year old seals, and only minor dampness at the bottom of the door after a car wash/all day in the rain.

Are all e39s that way?

I drove around for a few weeks with no door panels in place while refinishing my wood trim.

Sir I'm not really sure to be honest. All I know is that I had water leaking in my footwells, and when I took off the door panel the bottom of the vapor barriers were not even attached to the door anymore. I resealed them and never had water again. But to answer your question, yes, they are a huge problem on the e39. Resealing the vapor barrier seems to fix everyone elses issue as well.

attack eagle
10-14-2008, 01:12 AM
yeah that would keep the excess water from leaking out, but the build up of that quantity of water in the door is NOT a good thing by any means.

you should be able to go thru a car wash with the door panels off and no vapor barrier and see only a minor amount of dampness from water pushed past the seals.

you guys try cleaning the drains (BMW always has some really wierd idea on drains... dunno if that is because of wind noise concerns or what.)?

still think your issue is the window seals.

Hranj
10-18-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm having the same problem with my 1995 525i. Every time it rains I get a SOAKED passenger foot well. Wet vac-ing it is a pain as it is never completely dry. Have we reached a consensus here on what could be causing the problem?

verdell
10-22-2008, 08:53 PM
I hate to even mention this but my wife had a Ford Focus and the water would leak in from below the windshield. There is a seal at the base of the glass below the wipers and if it was warped the water would run under it and find its way down into the passenger floor board. It had a crappy design under the seal that lead to this so it probably would not happen on the BMW but you might take a look. I'll look at mine in the morning and see if it's possible.

Steve