PDA

View Full Version : stumped

jnewcomb25
10-11-2008, 11:33 PM
:dunno: attempting to swap a 94 540i engine into a 91 525i. dont know what to do about the wiring harness because to 540s batt was located under the back seat and ive heard that the 94 had vvti and i have the wiring harness for both vehicles the 94 was a manual tranny but i have no ecu for the 94. :mad:

bimmer dot info
10-13-2008, 09:22 AM
The bmw system is vanos not vvti. With the swap you should use the wiring and ecu that go with the engine you are going to use. You might have to hit up eBay or a junkyard for a new ECU. Or you could try here http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318071

sstuner
10-13-2008, 10:57 AM
wouldnt you have to change the master cylinder location as well?

i know on the 540 the master cylinder is in front of the left front tire and there is a bar that links it to the pedal because there is no room for the booster to fit on the fire wall with the V8 in there

jnewcomb25
10-15-2008, 12:32 AM
Found out most of that on my own still can't find a wiring diagram for the engine wiring harness without paying 70 dollars for the book, does anybody know were i can come across this information online for free. I also am trying to figure out if the trans i got is a six speed it came out of the 94 540i with the m50 vanos engine the gear knob is missing is there any other way to tell? also does the vanos engine have more performance than the regular m50 non-vanos

jnewcomb25
10-15-2008, 12:35 AM
Found out most of that on my own still can't find a wiring diagram for the engine wiring harness without paying 70 dollars for the book, does anybody know were i can come across this information online for free. I also am trying to figure out if the trans i got is a six speed it came out of the 94 540i with the m50 vanos engine the gear knob is missing is there any other way to tell? also does the vanos engine have more performance than the regular m50 non-vanos. Big thanks to u guys for the info im new at this.:thumbup:

jnewcomb25
10-15-2008, 12:38 AM
Found out most of that on my own still can't find a wiring diagram for the engine wiring harness without paying 70 dollars for the book, does anybody know were i can come across this information online for free. I also am trying to figure out if the trans i got is a six speed it came out of the 94 540i with the m50 vanos engine the gear knob is missing is there any other way to tell? also does the vanos engine have more performance than the regular m50 non-vanos. One more thing will i have to change the trans ecu to run the manual trans because the car was an auto. Thanks for everyones input!!:thumbup:

bimmer dot info
10-15-2008, 08:10 AM
Vanos engine makes somewhat better power. The non-vanos engine is stronger and can make more power (forced induction).
I've seen some free wiring diagrams. They suck. If you dont want to pay for the book try the library. I borrowed an e46 bentley from the cinci library last weekend.
You should be able to look up the trans based on what it was in or the numbers cast into the case.

jnewcomb25
10-15-2008, 09:47 PM
ive got the cast numbers off the trans but wat would be a good place to ref the numbers to find out wat it is. I still would like to know if i can run the manual tans without changing the tcu or watever controlled the automatic unit. I also was told that since the trans come out of 94 540 with vanos there was a good chance that it was the six speed. any word if u would being willing to part with the ecu for my engine?