PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Step Question

bten
06-12-2003, 06:54 PM
I have driven standards (been a while) and now have the 5sp steptronic. When I drive in Manual mode, I find the shifts are better if I let off the gas (just like with a manual transmission). I found nothing about the best way to shift a step in the manual. How do you use the step? Do you let up on the gas to control the up/down shifts?

thanx

The HACK
06-12-2003, 08:07 PM
It's an automatic, despite the manual modes. It's got a torque converter that buffers the driveline from the engine.

Even in manual mode it'll behave like an automatic. Ever notice that the car upshifts for you when you ease off the gas? When you ease off the gas, the torque converter goes from having the fluids inside loaded in one direction to the other and it'll trigger a gear change. In manual mode it's the same thing, it makes the torque converter and the transmission react together when you ease off the gas when up-shifting, so you won't have the transmission lock into the next gear while your torque converter remains loaded upon acceleration.

bten
06-12-2003, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the explanation. I does shift faster when I let up, and lets me more closely control when the shift occurs.