PDA

View Full Version : Bmw trans program

icet95
10-13-2008, 09:33 PM
For some reason the light for the Trans program comes on. (probably once every 40 times i turn the car on). When the light does go on, i can tell that something is up with the trans, grinding gears and not shifting out of 1st gear fast enough, so i take it easy. Do i need an entirely new transmission, or is it likely that something minor is wrong with the trans and i can fix it now before it gets worse?

bimmer dot info
10-14-2008, 06:37 AM
Have the trans codes read. There is a good chance that the trans can be fixed.

mikes95540i
10-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Have you changed the trans fluid?
I had some noise and shifting issues when my 95 540i was cold, once things warmed up both problems got much better so I ordered everything needed from Bavarian Autosport and took it to my mechanic, they did the work and I can't tell it ever had a problem now. I'm going to have them do another change in a few weeks in hopes of removing more of the old burned fluid that is still in the torque converter.

I have a question; I noticed an oil cooler tucked in between the torque converter and the transmission drain pan. Would it not be better to have one mounted up front? My 99 Yukon has a cooler mounted at the base of the front of the radiator as part of the toe pkg.

verdell
10-21-2008, 09:03 AM
I have a 94 540 and have had the transmssion completely rebuilt for about 2300 bucks plus several other services over the years before the rebuild. A few weeks after the rebuild it started shifting straight from 1st to 5th periodically and then all the time. Had the codes checked and it was a wheel speed sensor. So....hopefully yours will be as simple as that. A replaced sensor. But get the codes checked like do info said.

Steve