PDA

View Full Version : Weird Battery Problem!

Happyboy
10-14-2008, 11:26 AM
hey everyone, I having some problems with my 1994 bmw 530i. The battery never last over night. When I drive it for a good amount of time the battery only will last aout 2-3hours. Do I have to buy a new battery becuase my current one can't hold a charge?
Should I buy a replacement Battery or go to bmw get one. Replacement cost like 290USD so BMW Dealer WIll be wow.

Thank You For your time.

yaofeng
10-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Your alternator is probably shot. I don't know why when my 540 alternator went bad it never gave me an indication on the checl control. A replacement battery fixed it.

Even if you need a new battery I won't spend $290 for one. Interstate is about $100. That from Autozone is even cheaper for the same throughput.

Acschnitzer90
10-15-2008, 03:20 PM
yeah or i would get a diehard.

EyeDoc1
10-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Sometimes places like Autozone will essentially "bench check" your alternator while it's on the car, and that'll give you some idea of what the status of your charging system is. I prefer the Interstate battery because they actually HAVE the correct size and not have to give you a generic "one size fits all" unit. I know my 91 525i takes, I believe, a Group 91 battery instead of the Group 90 that is more common. Only Interstate stocked it. If you buy a battery, get a fresh one. Date of manufacture is usually on the side...a sticker with "D-8" means manufactured in April, 2008. Not that crafty, but it helps retail places rotate their stock (worked a battery room at Wards YEARS ago), and still remember a Group 29NF fit a '62 Ford. But I digress. Buy a good one...they rarely let you down.

Regards,

Christen