PDA

View Full Version : EML light on dashboard doesn't light...

EyeDoc1
10-15-2008, 12:11 PM
While perusing the owner's manual, I noted there is something called an "EML" light. It doesn't light and I can't ever remember if it ever lit up. Question...I've got a 91 525i with automatic transmission. What is EML and do I have it (or is it on every E34 '91). I know I DON'T have ACS because I don't have an on-off switch, but EML? I'm clueless. I'm planning on pulling the instrument panel (some say I don't have to remove the steering wheel and airbag if the steering wheel is adjustable (it is)) this weekend, and if the bulb is out, I'd just as soon change it as well.

Any info would be appreciated.

Regards,

Christen

bimmer dot info
10-15-2008, 12:42 PM
I have a 91 and I dont have that light. It is much easier to pull the wheel and remove the dash.

velvetMonkey
10-17-2008, 09:27 AM
EML is the electronic throttle. Some E34s had it, most didn't. i'm not sure what the requirement was for having it though...

CarDriver
10-17-2008, 10:42 AM
The requirment for having the Electronic Throttle is having a model with the Traction Control System. I belive the Alpina or M5 was available with it ???

EyeDoc1
10-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Many thanks! I don't have Traction Control, an Alpina nor an M5. Good to know. Next job will be removing the steering wheel and airbag to replace the bulbs behind the instrument panel.

Regards to all,

Christen