PDA

View Full Version : BMW 540i

GSGILL
10-15-2008, 11:24 PM
I have a automatic 540i 1994. When I am close to 40 MPH the car starts vibrating and if I accelerate higher it is gone.

After awhile the vibration gets reduced at 40 MPH and later disappears by the time I get to the mechanic.

Does some one have a clue or can assist?

GSG

bimmer dot info
10-16-2008, 07:36 AM
Normally they vibrate about 7 to 10 MPH above and/or below 55 MPH.

Try to describe what the shake feels like and we should be able to help.

cpnwrench
10-19-2008, 08:59 AM
Hey,

just a quick question or two.... is the car "cold" when this happens? I mean are you just starting your day with the vehicle when it occurs? and then after it gets warm it goes away?

something tells me that if that is so, there is something in your xmission driveline when cold causing it., unless you are sure the vibration is coming from the front.

as a precaution, take both front tires off the car, bring them to a goodyear or NTB or wherever there is a tire shop , have them balance them. (cheaper if you bring them loose, only cost me 18 bucks for mine) have them check for A.) slow leaks[they will put them in tub of water and watch for bubbles]. B.) uneven wear, if thats the case you need alignment.

if the vibration occurs at the 40mph mark even when car is warm then check the balance , if it only shows up when cold, then maybe check the fluid in the tranny etc.

hope this helps!