PDA

View Full Version : Really Tell me whats wrong

Reyes(E34)
10-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Okay. I have replaced the t-stat, the water pump, and the fan clutch. Had heat probs before i changed fan clutch. Now, the car doesn't necessarily overheat. But it gets hot, so i bleed air out of the coolant system. And there is alot of air coming out. Next if i try to take the coolant cap off the overflow, it'll blow air bubbles and basically just push coolant out. The car isn't necessarily hot when i do this. So it's not cause the heat... Why is the system attaining so much air?
If anyone can help me out that'd be awesome! Cause i can't figure out what's wrong. All hoses are new to 6 months old. So i don't find them to be the problem.

cpnwrench
10-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Hey,

Dunno if you had any answers yet, but here goes.........

this happened on a Honda I owned and a Jeep both very reliable cars...

did the same steps you did with them, (thankfully it hasn't happened on my 525i, yet).

the Radiator. two things happen.. one the rocks and bugs and crap bend the vanes (i know its behind the condenser for the AC yeah yeah, but it still happens. two, the inside near the bottom is all plugged up... ( how do you know?,, pull it out of the car, it should not be very heavy, if it feels heavy then there's all kinds of gunk and yuk built up in it and get a new one.) I had been pullin my hair out on the Jeep when this happened so I just took a chance ( an out of sheer friggin rage that the other stuff didn't work) an sure enough that sucker was heavy as heck, got a new one and no more overheat. Same with my Honda at the time.

( yeah I know you don't have to "pressurize" either of those two cars cooling systems, but the symptoms seem to be right in line with what you are going through.)

Also, when you drained the system, did you take the plug out of the block? some old coolant in there lemme tell ya. ( i just did mine so I know), lucky tho my radiator is ok.

Hope this helps in some small way, good luck!

:thumbup:

raysmythe
10-20-2008, 06:07 PM
Here's what I think:

You overheated (not just a little) and caused your head gasket to leak. The only place (anyway, the only one I know) on the car where pressure and coolant meet is at the head gasket. Sounds like compression is forcing it's way through a crack. If you're also losing some coolant after the car cools down, watch for white smoke shortly after you start the car. It's your lost coolant. If you put a hand in front of the exhaust, (about 3 or 4 inches away for just a second) it will feel wet and maybe even have that slimy antifreeze feel.

I've had this problem on only one car, but the serious overheating and the pressure in your coolant sound just like what happened to me.

I ended up just replacing a head gasket. In some cases, the head needs to be planed back to a nice flat surface.

Good luck!

Ray

Reyes(E34)
10-20-2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks very much i will look into both of tho's.

youngest740ownr
10-21-2008, 03:24 AM
i thhink u havent burped it right

Reyes(E34)
10-21-2008, 08:13 AM
Do mean Bleeding it?
If not whats Burping it?

CarDriver
10-21-2008, 09:02 AM
Yes, He means bleading the air out of it. After an event such as you had, you need to bleed it (correctly) or you will still over heat. If you have already bled it then try doing it again.

If you blew the head gasket you will have White smoke bellowing from the exhaust pipes and smell antifreeze.

Heidenh
10-21-2008, 09:56 AM
Do mean Bleeding it?
If not whats Burping it?

Jordan are you serious?

And to all others. Its not the radiator. Or head gasket. the overflow is coming out the top of the overflow. Not the engine block.

Acschnitzer90
10-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Yes, He means bleading the air out of it. After an event such as you had, you need to bleed it (correctly) or you will still over heat. If you have already bled it then try doing it again.

If you blew the head gasket you will have White smoke bellowing from the exhaust pipes and smell antifreeze. thats what it has to come down to is a really good bleed :thumbup:

cpnwrench
10-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Hey folks,

I was writing to the effect that he had already bled the system thoroughly....when I was speaking about the radiator. if it is the original radiator, you should have ti checked anyway.

But yeah, if you haven't bled it thorough, then that more than likley is the cause.

Sorry for any confusion!

:smokin: