PDA

View Full Version : Griots Speedshine Vs Meguires Final Inspection

Chipster
03-04-2002, 07:58 AM
These products are a quick spray on/wipe off product used to wipe a light layer of debris off your car, or used after washing to remove water spots. They will give the car a just washed appearance in about 10 minutes

Meguires markets a product similar to Speedshine under the names Final Inspection (available at paint shops and pro detailing stores) and Quick Detailer (available to the consumer at any automotive product retail chain)

I have been using the Meguires products for years and for the most part have been happy with them. However, lately I have noticed streaking when using their products. After using the product and in the right light it looked like my car (black) had streaks from a bad wipe job.

I figured I'd give the Griots a try and see if it did the same thing, or if it provided a higher luster finish.

Speedshine worked great! The application was the same as Meguires, spray on/wipe off seemed to come off without requiring additional wiping and left a shiny streak free finish.

My recommendation is to use Speedshine!

Once again Griots has produced a great car care solution!

:thumb:

Dr. Phil
03-04-2002, 08:12 AM
I've been using Final Inspection but didn't like the some time difficulty in getting it off (similar to your streaking). So I placed an order for Speed Shine on Saturday. Sounds like I made the right move:thumb:

I'm also the guinea pig for Alee so he can make the move:eek: Please don't tell Sal:rolleyes:

Guest84
03-04-2002, 08:12 AM
Glad you liked it as much as I. In-d-haus turned me onto Griots back in June last year, and my wifes SUV was the guinea pig, very impressed then as I still am today!

Incidently, use Speed Shine with claybar, it acts a an excellent lubricant when claybarring.

in_d_haus
03-04-2002, 10:17 AM
Is to not let it dry.

Guest84
03-04-2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by in_d_haus
Is to not let it dry.

Agreed! I spray it on, then use one cloth to "polish" it into the finish, and another to remove it.

k2modx3
03-04-2002, 08:18 PM
I definately had a majot problem with the meguiars, as a 3/4 full bottle is now in my trash. I used (expiriemented) with it on my Toyota 4-Runner with no problems. Last night i used it on my week old just washed 330i to get off water spots and the D*** thing looked like it has swirls all over hood. I don't know what it was but it pissed me off. I had no damage though because I got this awful products side effects removed by a good waxing earlier tonight. The only thing that is strange to me is how the car was clean, i used 100% cotton towels that have never swirled before, and it was only noticeable on the hood and not on the doors. Weird, needless to say, i'm staying away from those products for awhile. I'm too scared i will do something that wont wax off!

Dr. Phil
03-05-2002, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by k2modx3
I definately had a majot problem with the meguiars, as a 3/4 full bottle is now in my trash. I used (expiriemented) with it on my Toyota 4-Runner with no problems. Last night i used it on my week old just washed 330i to get off water spots and the D*** thing looked like it has swirls all over hood. I don't know what it was but it pissed me off. I had no damage though because I got this awful products side effects removed by a good waxing earlier tonight. The only thing that is strange to me is how the car was clean, i used 100% cotton towels that have never swirled before, and it was only noticeable on the hood and not on the doors. Weird, needless to say, i'm staying away from those products for awhile. I'm too scared i will do something that wont wax off!
Was it Final Inspection or Quick Detailer? Quick detailer is definately something to stay away from:thumbdwn:

awd330
03-05-2002, 05:59 AM
I'm wondering if the brand of wax used would have any affect upon the detailing spray's results. That is, do you need to keep within the same manufacturer's line of products to get the best results?

I've been using Final Inspection with Meguiar's Medallion wax for years with no problems. However, I have a friend who tried using Final Inspection and it put pink swirls on his white paint.

k2modx3
03-05-2002, 07:01 AM
It was quick detailer, and luckily i fixed it.

Guest84
03-05-2002, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by awd330
I'm wondering if the brand of wax used would have any affect upon the detailing spray's results. That is, do you need to keep within the same manufacturer's line of products to get the best results?

The "Rule of thumb" I've been told over the years is keep Carnauba-based products with carnauba waxes, and polymer-based products with polymer waxes.

bmw325
03-05-2002, 03:31 PM
I used Mothers' Detailing Spray to maintian my P21s wax job and have never had a problem.

Guest84
03-05-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by robg
I used Mothers' Detailing Spray to maintian my P21s wax job and have never had a problem.

Robg, most detailing sprays contain either a small amount of polymers or carnauba, do you know which they use? Just curious...

bmw325
03-05-2002, 07:12 PM
Rip-

I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure its carnauba but I'll check.

E36M3
03-06-2002, 01:38 PM
If you got scratches with Quik Detailer then:

1) Your car was too dirty when you used it
2) Your towels were to coarse

Quik Detailer is made to remove LIGHT contamination from the paint finish without scratching and without stripping your wax.

My advise would be for you to switch from using 100% cotton terry cloth towels to using microfiber. Just a thought.

Guest84
03-06-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
If you got scratches with Quik Detailer then:

1) Your car was too dirty when you used it
2) Your towels were to coarse

Quik Detailer is made to remove LIGHT contamination from the paint finish without scratching and without stripping your wax.

My advise would be for you to switch from using 100% cotton terry cloth towels to using microfiber. Just a thought.

Be very careful of those microfiber towels, with a jet black finish, I noticed little silvers of fiber (after many washings of the towel itself) left over on the finish, not sure if these could cause potential swirl marks, but I accidently dropped a cigar ash on a towel and it shirveled and melted the part of the microfiber towel it fell on...that is NOT a good sign. 100% cotton with 100% cotton thread for me.

E36M3
03-06-2002, 03:01 PM
Guess it depends on the microfiber you're using...just with anything, they vary in quality.

Being in the industy I can tell you in confidence that microfiber is much safer than towels.

Guest84
03-06-2002, 03:02 PM
Guess it depends on the microfiber you're using...just with anything, they vary in quality.

Being in the industy I can tell you in confidence that microfiber is much safer than towels.

Great! Do me a favor, take a lighter to one of your towels, post the results please. (incidently, mine were bought from Griots Garage,they rave about them but I'm skeptical after the cigar ashe thing, as well as the 'fiber glass' looking fibers on the finish)

E36M3
03-06-2002, 03:29 PM
I'll do that for 'you.'

However, I don't see the correlation between fire and microfiber. If you're trying to test quality and durabilty of a microfiber towel, that is better done through product tests such as:

-product stretching
-multiple washings
-multiple dryings
-frequency testing

Guest84
03-06-2002, 03:43 PM
Its a known fact that certain synthetic fibers can cause micro swirls in a clear coat. One of the old "diaper" tests used to be to hold a flame near the corner of the material, if it shriveled and melted, then it was deemed to rough for applying wax to a clear coat. Seeing my cigar ashe 'shrivel' the micro towel I used made me cautious.

E36M3
03-06-2002, 03:50 PM
I've heard of the test, but again, I don't feel that is a viable way to test the product quality of microfiber. I feel that is better done through some of the methods I listed earlier.

It's similar to the old "flame on the paint" tactic on the infomercials to test the durability of a wax. It's a marketing ploy that has a "wow" factor yet fails to fairly demonstrate how durable a product (or in this case, a wax) is. Pouring lighter fluid on your paint then lighting it on fire does nothing to prove wax durability. All it proves is that lighter fluid is a flammable liquid.

Across the board, microfiber (reputable quality) is much less prone to swirling and/or scratching paint finishes.

Guest84
03-06-2002, 03:58 PM
I've heard of the test, but again, I don't feel that is a viable way to test the product quality of microfiber. I feel that is better done through some of the methods I listed earlier.

You mean "final result on finish" tests carries less impact in your opinion than the longevity of the towel tests? Scarey to say the least.

It's similar to the old "flame on the paint" tactic on the infomercials to test the durability of a wax. It's a marketing ploy that has a "wow" factor yet fails to fairly demonstrate how durable a product (or in this case, a wax) is. Pouring lighter fluid on your paint then lighting it on fire does nothing to prove wax durability. All it proves is that lighter fluid is a flammable liquid.

Totally unrelated. Try using a rayon or similiar material (synthetic) shirt on a auto finish, swirls right? Now hold a flame to it. You can do this experiment yourself, I've done it by mistake 27 years ago when I started waxing my own first car. Now, I do not know the properties of the Micro fiber towel I used, but the result from the accident made me cautious from mine own past experience with synthetic materials. That in combination with the 'fiber glass like shards' left on the just polished finish would ward caution in a prudent person thats OCD like myself. ;)

Across the board, microfiber (reputable quality) is much less prone to swirling and/or scratching paint finishes.

I'd expect that from someone who's living is of this product..but you still think that its a superior product in relation to effect on clear coat compared to that of 100% cotton? I'm not. Old fashioned maybe, but none the less, I go from whats worked, and what hasn;t worked for me in the last 27 years of car ownership.

Jon Shafer
03-06-2002, 03:59 PM
'E36M3' would have to be considered a foremost leading authority on this subject... I would stand behind his opinions wholeheartedly. The guy is an expert. [EOM]

:yikes:

Guest84
03-06-2002, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Jon Shafer
'E36M3' would have to be considered a foremost leading authority on this subject... I would stand behind his opinions wholeheartedly. The guy is an expert. [EOM]

:yikes:

Yes, but he's in that business of selling them. Also, do you own a jet black finish? ;) Do you know who the supplier of Griots micro fiber towels (http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1004&SKU=11115) are? Are you willing to send me samples and change my mind? :)

Incidently, when I do my full detail this month, I'll take some close ups of the finish, and subsequent left over fiber material (very small, clear, tiny bits of fiberglass looking material, guess about 1mm in length. I have a macro-lenses so I'll get a close up of it)

E36M3
03-06-2002, 04:16 PM
Look...

OBVIOUSLY..."final result on finish" is not more important than the "longevity of a towel" as you assumed I was implying.

However, the durabilty of a microfiber towel is directly related to what type of effect it will have on a paint finish. If the towel wears quickly, loses its absorbency, gets coarse, etc, it will begin marring your paint finish. That's why durability is important. Moreover, the tests I mentioned are definitive tests of a microfiber's quality...and that's what we were discussing.

As far as why a microfiber towel would scratch a finish more than a regular cotton terry cloth towel (as was in your case) depends on many factors:

1) You may have purchased an inferior microfiber towel
2) Your paint finish may have been lightly covered with above surface contamination
3) The microfiber towel may have been contaminated with particulates
4) The edge threading of the microfiber towel was coarse and therefore scratched the finish
5) The tag was left on the microfiber towel and scratched as it moved across the finish
etc etc etc etc

When I brought up the "fire on the paint" test it was to show moronic methods used to test durabilty of certain products in order to impress the consumer. What does putting a flame to a microfiber towel PROVE? It proves that when a microfiber touches fire, it shrivels, seperates, etc. It does not PROVE that one material is more "rough" than another...as you stated. Bottom line is...what does that test PROVE?

Sometimes people have problems embracing new technology when they're used to a method that has worked well for them for years. I'm not saying you are in this group of people, but perhaps 100% cotton terry cloth is better in your case due to more of a placebo effect. Almost similar to why some muscle car guys swear by their carbuerated motors and will never embrace fuel injection.

Just my $.03

Jon Shafer
03-06-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by The Ripper...

Yes, but he's in that business of selling them. Also, do you own a jet black finish? ;)

You are correct - he's none other than BJ Birtwell, a known offender (supporter of BimmerFest), who also happens to own the kewlest Black E36M3 I have ever seen... Rumor has it that he won't be able to make it to Santa Barbara this year... :mad:
http://www.cuttermotors.com/jon_shafer/bimmerfest2001/maxpower2.jpg

For those coming to The 'Fest, all of those receiving those **free** samples of Meguiar's products can tip their hats to BJ...

:D :D :D

I say support your BimmerFest sponsors! :D

E36M3
03-06-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Ripsnort

Yes, but he's in that business of selling them.

To my credit...I have not once mentioned my companies microfiber towels...I have merely supported the USAGE of microfiber over terry cloth.

And I do own a jet black finish.

Guest84
03-06-2002, 04:24 PM
Well, you need to read my posts above again, I did not say "it will scratch your finish", I stated that I would ward caution with them.

1) You may have purchased an inferior microfiber towel
How would one know if their's were inferior?

2) Your paint finish may have been lightly covered with above surface contamination
No, garaged no contamination. (Garage is carpeted, was vacuumed the day before, all interior is insulated, sheet rocked and painted.)

3) The microfiber towel may have been contaminated with particulates
Brand new towels, washed them with no soap, 14 min., cycles, air dried in a dust free enviroment prior to use.

4) The edge threading of the microfiber towel was coarse and therefore scratched the finish
Are they coarse brand new? This I'm not sure of.

5) The tag was left on the microfiber towel and scratched as it moved across the finish etc etc etc etc
Tag was the first thing I cut off.

As far as new technology, thats my business, to sell engineers on new technology, but I always air caution to moving ahead blindly because of marketing, advertisement. I give analysis strictly based on results of tests, thats what an analyst does.

:dunno: No hard feelings, I'm just cautious, and need to evaluate the product further before I can endorse any such product. In the mean time, good old cotton works fine for me.

In the mean time, if you have any abrasion test data I can look over from your engineering dept. I'd be happy to look it over. Data and results are two key elements to testing. I have my own results, I just need some data to disprove my caution.

E36M3
03-06-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Brand new towels, washed them with no soap, 14 min., cycles, air dried in a dust free enviroment prior to use.

So you have a vaccum room in the house? :D Jus playin'

email me your mailing address and I'll send you some of ours so you can test them...just don't go burning them all up! :)

Guest84
03-06-2002, 04:38 PM

So you have a vaccum room in the house? :D Jus playin'

email me your mailing address and I'll send you some of ours so you can test them...just don't go burning them all up! :)

Well, before you do, can you tell me if they're the same towels as the Griots ones here>>>> Griots micro fiber towels (http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1004&SKU=11115) ?? If so, I can save you the postage. however, if they are indeed different, then my email is:

ripsnort60@yahoo.com

I might add, I have no problem with the finer Micro fiber towels for wax removal that Griots sells, excellent results with them.

E36M3
03-06-2002, 04:41 PM
Not the same towel.

If you weren't using microfiber for wax removal, what were you using them for?

Guest84
03-06-2002, 04:49 PM
Not the same towel.

If you weren't using microfiber for wax removal, what were you using them for?

Griots Micro fiber towels come in two types, one for the polish removal stage (Thicker nap, the one I was wary of) and one for wax removal (The thinner nap, no ill effects using these, no debris left over, although I didn't like them for applying speed shine detail spray, they 'stuck' to the finish unlike cotton)

E36M3
03-06-2002, 04:53 PM
OK. Just as long as the microfiber towels aren't be used for application of polishes and waxes. That would be a nightmare

Guest84
03-06-2002, 04:55 PM
OK. Just as long as the microfiber towels aren't be used for application of polishes and waxes. That would be a nightmare

Heavens no! :) I've got a Porter Cable with several types of sponges for that. :) Gotta log now. cya!

Jon Shafer
03-06-2002, 04:56 PM
I'll admit it - with a detailing staff on hand, I never have to wash my car... :)

However, I will tell you this: some "factory brass" from BMW A.G. paid me a visit a couple of years ago, specifically to observe just how American BMW Centers handled cleaning and detailing. Their most profound instruction - lose the cotton cloths, and replace them with those nifty microfiber towels (we were having problems with swirl marks)...

E36M3
03-06-2002, 04:59 PM
FYI- Meguiar's is the Official Car Care product of BMW...

Every BMW that rolls off that Spartanburg and Frankfurt Assembly lines are finished with Meguiar's products.

So whether you like it or now...Meguiar's is on the car before you even get it. :D Sucks don't it? :D

Sorry for the shameless plug...however BMW wouldn't trust us with their paint finishes unless we manufactured a quality product. :thumb:

vexed
03-06-2002, 05:04 PM
FYI- Meguiar's is the Official Car Care product of BMW...

Every BMW that rolls off that Spartanburg and Frankfurt Assembly lines are finished with Meguiar's products.

So whether you like it or now...Meguiar's is on the car before you even get it. :D Sucks don't it? :D

Sorry for the shameless plug...however BMW wouldn't trust us with their paint finishes unless we manufactured a quality product. :thumb:

That is interesting, I really like the instant detailer spray, unlike others it works great for me.

Plug away, we debate the issue endlessly without answers.:confused:

Guest84
03-06-2002, 05:20 PM

I'm back, nothing alittle Dawn liquid detergent won't cure (Just kidding!) :)

Actually, I've had great success with Meguiars. No complaints. Finish preparation and application weigh far heavier in my book than high quality products. If you showed me a Meguiars finish and a Griots or P21S finish, I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference. However I digress, guys like to 'experiment' with different stuff, and I try to stay away from that "this product is better" threads, I merely suggest what I've tried, what I liked, and emphasised time and time again its the preparation and application stage that weighs heavy on the outcome of any high end product.

alee
03-06-2002, 05:21 PM
That's ok, a little Dawn took it all off. :D

I used Meguiars, P21S and some other brands in a past life. They're all really quite good... IMHO using good technique and applying it right is probably even more important than the wax you use.

alee
03-06-2002, 05:21 PM
Damn Rip, beat me by a minute. :)

Guest84
03-06-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Jon Shafer
Their most profound instruction - lose the cotton cloths, and replace them with those nifty microfiber towels (we were having problems with swirl marks)...

My wife thinks I'm kinda nutty, I wash my cotton towelettes with very mild soap, little of it, twice thru a cycle, then air dry them. Shake them out good, fold them, and store them in a container. Okay, maybe it is nutty, but I've never had a swirl problem with cotton towels (quality ones that is)

Guest84
03-06-2002, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by alee
Damn Rip, beat me by a minute. :)

Hehe! :)

vexed
03-06-2002, 05:26 PM

... IMHO using good technique and applying it right is probably even more important than the wax you use.

Hello...hello, someone has kidnapped Al, call Sal Zaino.:tsk:

Dr. Phil
03-06-2002, 05:28 PM

That's ok, a little Dawn took it all off. :D

I used Meguiars, P21S and some other brands in a past life. They're all really quite good... IMHO using good technique and applying it right is probably even more important than the wax you use.
With the variety of products you've tried Al, keeping in mind you're hooked on the smell of Z, which IYO is best for over all use for the non-OCD user? What I mean is...If someone wants to have a nice shine but not spend tons of time on a frequent schedule, which would you recommend:dunno:

I've been very deligent so far (20 minute Final Inspection clean up tonight) but with the golf season coming and the wife not hip on me being gone all day on every Saturday between cleaning/waxing and golf, I'd like to use my time wisely.:confused:

edit -- assume good technique no matter which product

alee
03-06-2002, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by PM 325xiT

With the variety of products you've tried Al, keeping in mind you're hooked on the smell of Z, which IYO is best for over all use for the non-OCD user? What I mean is...If someone wants to have a nice shine but not spend tons of time on a frequent schedule, which would you recommend:dunno:
Nothing beats polymer for longevity and easy of application. So the waxes in the polymer class (Zaino, Klasse, etc.) are all generally very easy -- apply a thin coat, let it dry for an hour, buff it off. If you wanted to, you could take Zaino off with your finger (a gentle wipe is all it really takes).

Timewise, I think you'll find yourself spending about the same amount of time maintaining with both carnuba based and polymer products. But your arms will not be nearly as sore as they will with carnuba (unless you use a Porter Cable).

Between washes, Zaino seems easier to keep clean overall, but I'm not sure why that is. Maybe someone else can tell me.

For what it's worth, I hate the Zaino marketing and the Zaino web site, but their products have really lived up to their expectations so far. I'm trying Z-FX tomorrow, so we'll see.

Dr. Phil
03-06-2002, 05:42 PM
I'm trying Z-FX tomorrow, so we'll see.
Good luck w/the application.:thumb: Dare I say, can we expect some pics:confused: :dunno:

alee
03-06-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by PM 325xiT

Good luck w/the application.:thumb: Dare I say, can we expect some pics:confused: :dunno:
We'll see how the day goes... I'm going to try and ditch out of work early so I can get at least 2 hours of direct sun. I have been using detail spray 2 times a day for the last 3 weeks to beat the car wash restrictions.

Instead of using car wash tomorrow, I will probably fill 1 spray bottle with distilled water, mist down the car, dry, put on some quick detailer, and then go into the actual waxing.

The goal is 2 layers of Z5 wax for the swirls, and a layer of Z2.

Oh and gotta do those darn wheels. :mad:

Dr. Phil
03-06-2002, 06:18 PM

We'll see how the day goes... I'm going to try and ditch out of work early so I can get at least 2 hours of direct sun. I have been using detail spray 2 times a day for the last 3 weeks to beat the car wash restrictions.

Instead of using car wash tomorrow, I will probably fill 1 spray bottle with distilled water, mist down the car, dry, put on some quick detailer, and then go into the actual waxing.

The goal is 2 layers of Z5 wax for the swirls, and a layer of Z2.

Oh and gotta do those darn wheels. :mad:
Sound like you need more than luck. Better pack a lunch, take a few Prozacs, and have some cold drink:D

The detailing spray does help, I was still in my shirt and tie when my wife pulled in and there I was with 2 cloths and a bottle of FI cleaning the wagon:p I hope there wasn't too much dust on it though:eeps: I made sure to mist each are before wiping/buffing but if I have swirls I can live with them:confused: Until Saturday that is:(

bmw325
03-07-2002, 08:38 AM
Hey guys-

Interesting discussion on detailing...
I have jet black and use cotton towels-- I think that i'm not OCD enough because I get fine scratches-- and there's so many possible causes. my P21S was does a pretty good job of hiding them- but I know they're there.

From what has been discussed here- it seems like the least controllable and potentially most damaging thing is surface contamination. How do you deal w/ this? No matter how long you hold a hose over the car-- there's always going to some contamination left-- and the water itself contains minerals and other particles that could scratch. If you start "scubbing" using a mitt, towel or whatever-- you're dragging this contamination along the surface. So what's the secret? How do you actually remove this contamination without damaing the car's surface.

I'm also convinced that technique and degree of OCD-ness matter more than the actual product used. For every product, there's people who get great results and those that get horrible results.

For those who use cotton towels- could you please post exactly what brand (and "model") and where you bought them? I use 100% cotton fieldcrest bath towels made in the USA-- but i can't help thinking that they feel a bit coarse. Also do you cut off the trim parts of the towel so that there's no synthetic fibers on it?

How long do you guys use a wash mitt, towel, cloth etc before replacing it (how many washes?)

After 8 months of ownerhsip i've managed to screw up my black finish pretty well (atleast I think so). I'm thinking of getting a porter cable and trying to polish out the damage i've done. But this only makes sense if i have confidence that i can detail the finish w/ minimal damage in the future.

Guest84
03-07-2002, 05:09 PM
Robg, Swirls happen. Ain't no two ways around it. Washing it with even the cleanest wash mitt will cause micro swirls. I change my terry cloth wash mitt about every 2 months, and use 3 different ones, one for the finish, one for the bumpers, one for the wheels, when the "finish" wash mitt gets alittle wear and tear, it becomes my "Bumper" wash mitt, then eventually becomes the wheel wash mitt. This downward rotation and replacement (along with the two-bucket wash method) ensures that as little as possible contamination or debris touchs the finish surface. Personally, I could see more swirls on jet black usin a sheep wool mitt, thus I went to cotton terry for the wash mitts.

As far as cotton towels go, I use the Griots cotton towelettes which are perfect size for polish, waxing. I dry with the synthetic Chamois in combination with the water blade.

My philosophy is to polish once or twice a year (depending on how harsh the winter) to remove swirls and 'start afresh' with a swirl free finish, then try to keep it that way with TLC and P21S paint cleaner (which removes the micro swirls) and of course wax.

bmw325
03-07-2002, 06:34 PM
Thanks Rip. A scratch counts as a "micro-swirl" if you can't feel it w/ your fingers right? I use P21S paint cleaner it helps, but I can still see lots of small scratches if I look closely. That's a good idea w/ the wash mitt rotation method. When you polish do you do it by hand or w/ a Porter Cable? Do you really get the surface "swirl free" when you do polish?

THanks.

Guest84
03-07-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by robg
When you polish do you do it by hand or w/ a Porter Cable? Do you really get the surface "swirl free" when you do polish?

THanks.

Porter cable with a fine machine polish (I have my favorite, Griots), then I remove it by hand. Going to try using the Porter Cable with the P21S paint cleaner too and see how it handles it. Some use the PC to remove the product with terry bonnets, but I still prefer by hand. Its worth the $150 investment, by results it produces and the 1-2 hours it can shave off a full detail.

Correct on the scratches, if you can feel it, generally a PC won't help it. A PC is for finishing, doesn't do much on deep clear coat scratches.

eugeneDC/TX
03-12-2002, 01:02 PM
do these detailing sprays work on say a dusty car? thanks.

Guest84
03-12-2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by eugeneDC/TX
do these detailing sprays work on say a dusty car? thanks.

Sure they would, but would you want to induce swirls? Dirt would be rubbed across the finish with the wiping motion of a towel. Best to use a California duster, or nothing at all, IMO.

eugeneDC/TX
03-12-2002, 07:44 PM
then when to use? other than right after a wash to get rid of water spots, when can/should you use these products

Guest84
03-13-2002, 05:53 AM
then when to use? other than right after a wash to get rid of water spots, when can/should you use these products

Yessir, ya use it right after a wash and dry. Some products have alittle wax in them, but you don't let this type of product dry per se, you wipe it off after spritzing it on. It really restores that "just waxed" look to the finish.

Chipster
03-13-2002, 08:50 AM

I use the Cal duster then follow with Final Inspection or Speedshine.

I always use a spray detailer after the wash....gotta keep the black clean!

Guest84
03-13-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Chipster

I use the Cal duster then follow with Final Inspection or Speedshine.

Not a bad idea, but beware of those lower parts of the door panels, they can get real nasty with particulates kicked up from the tires, even a duster won't take that off.